This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GateGipsy
    He was Quinn Mallory, just a Quinn Mallory from another Earth who had been the result of a different sperm/egg combination. Ergo, the same parents, and same name, but different looking person. More like a brother than a twin.

The story was that the new Mallory was also a slider on his world, for the military or a military type organisation if I remember correctly. The two Mallory's collided in a slide, and sort of merged into one. For a while they existed in the same body, but the 'new' Quinn was dominant and eventually took over entirely.

For me the show had jumped the shark when they did away with The Professor, but this was the point that I actually stopped watching. Not because there was only Rembrandt of the original's left, but I couldn't keep watching when I actually only liked one of the actors (the one that played Rembrandt).

I rember that, they replaced the professer with some dumb women. But then they had one more season of looking for there home, another season after they got home, but the aliens were there, thenI stopped watching. But I do remember that there was a black women at one time, but don't remember when.
    It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

I actually stopped watching right before that season. The show was getting to carried away, and was not what it used to be, like back on FOX.

The episode you are talking about, with the two Quinns, merging into one is The Unstuck Man, from the final Season, 05. I used to love that show.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

This thread has officially been Hijacked!

I like sliders, too. I have a recipe for them around here somewhere...

Comment

Yes yes, a Sliders topic would be awesome for the Sci-Fi / Fantasy folder. Let's get back on topic.
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Yeah, back on topic...

I liked Jessica Steen, she took what COULD have been a boring role and injected it with charecter. Sort of like MS and RDA did with their charecters. Torri Higginson IMO is massivly ugly and looks NOTHING like Steen. I am NOT looking forward to seeing her in action, but there's plenty of chance for her to change my mind come June.
            Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
            http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

I don't really have any opinion on Steen, I didn't hate her nor like her, for me it was to early to judge. But i'm not thrilled about the actor switch, I would have preferred that they just got Torri to play it from the beginning.

Comment

The main reason I like her is that she isn't afraid to admit that she is wrong or she new at this and then asks for help (or advice).

Comment

Guess I'll be the one to bring this thread back to the fore.

Personally, I found Weir to be a very dull character in New Order and in a majority of Atlantis. Her few instances of strength and individuality weren't enough to really spark my interest. I felt that the writers generally ignored the character and her possibilities in Atlantis, relegating her to a distant authoritarian figure who occasionally prances out to wag her finger at Shep and crew and then quietly retreats back again. I didn't see anything to draw me to the character, I couldn't find any real purpose to her existence, and I generally didn't care what happened to her as long as her parroting of rhetoric was kept to a minimum.

Home
                  Spoiler:

However, in Home, we finally get to see more of the "real" Weir- in her interactions with Shep regarding who should go home, in her dealings with her boyfriend, and in her general concept of reality.
                  The ep offered us some good insights into her character and for one of the few times in the series, I didn't feel that she was a low-grade irritant.

The Storm
                  Spoiler:

The Storm was another good example of character development. She got to show some backbone, she got to flex some of her diplomatic skills (to little avail) and I felt that Torri was really allowed to act in this ep, which is refreshing to see. There was some good emoting going on as well, and I really felt that Weir's attempt to bargain with Kolya was empassioned- and in a good way.
                  She didn't come off as wishy-washy or overly emotional but really seemed to be showing the strength of her convictions.

I hope we get to see more of this Weir in the future. She's someone I could learn to like.

Now, if only they'd do the same for Teyla and poor Ford...

Comment

I'm really convinced that they are starting to get a feel for the character. That in the future we'll talk about her in the same way we talk about Sam in the first season. It took the writers a bit of time to find the character, so we got bits of "Briefing Room Sam" that seem out of place for her now, but that the writers have moved beyond.

Comment

First off, I want to apologize to the mods for starting another topic on Dr. Weir. This one was hard to find, it was so way back. And there didn't seem too be much talk about the current Dr. Weir. I will have to admit that I didn't see who the other Dr. Weir was, so I have nothing to compare with. Torri is Dr. Weir to me.

That being said, I'll repeat my remarks from the other thread since that thread should fall off now. No spoilers.

The episode "The Storm" had some really good stuff for Torri to work with. Most of the time she's been stuck in the Control Room talking to Sheppard on the mike. This time Weir got a chance to do what she should be doing, instead of sending Sheppard all the time. I hope to see her in more sessions using the skills that made her the head of the Atlantis expedition

The episode, "Home" was also a good showcase for Weir.

The role she's been having of getting the team together, briefings and debriefings, and keeping McKay and Zelenka focused shouldn't be her primary role. Although that stuff is well written. Or has it been that she's been making the decisions and I haven't noticed because it's been so smooth? I'm going to have to spend the off season studying that. Quiet authority is easy to miss.

It's easier to write for someone with a lot of quirks like McKay. Or who has to do all the tech explaining and have all that technobabble. Weir's role must be dealt on a one-to-one basis with the people around her. She has to have a situation where science will not be the only thing to save the day and that's a harder thing to write. In some ways, I think it would take even more words than sheer technobabble to have her accomplish her task. Technobabble can be written off by the viewer as "ok, they understand it" or "ok, they fixed it". Persuasive words written for Weir must be absolutely convincing. And delivered convincingly.

I like what Torri has done with her role and look forward to seeing her character develop more.

My kind of guy:
                      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

I just did a search on "Elizabeth Weir" and scrolled to find the right thread. And I've never let a conversation get in the way of what I want to post. If something is veering off topic, I'm quite happy to post something absolutely relevant to the original post even if I get ignored and washed over in a sea of chatter... Of course, I've also, on occasion, posted random off topic thoughts in the middle of a heated discussion just to see what happens.

As for the subject of the thread... as I said, I think I'm finally starting to warm to the character (and I never saw Steen's version, either) and I hope that TPTB don't screw it up and dump her back into the Tedious Rhetoric role.

Comment

*Throws two cents in the jar*

I liked what both the actresses did, I really enjoyed Jessica's portrayal, but 45 seconds into New Order I found myself saying "Jessica who?" Torri has stepped up to the role wonderfully and brings a lot of depth to what could easily become a "background" character. Maybe it's the sexy voice...I don't know...but there is something about Ms Higginson that you can not ignore, and who would want to!
                          ***THIS SPACE FOR RENT***

Comment

Originally posted by Presley_Carter

I liked what both the actresses did, I really enjoyed Jessica's portrayal, but 45 seconds into New Order I found myself saying "Jessica who?" Torri has stepped up to the role wonderfully and brings a lot of depth to what could easily become a "background" character. Maybe it's the sexy voice...I don't know...but there is something about Ms Higginson that you can not ignore, and who would want to!
                            i know what you mean Pres... i absolutely love what Torri has done with the character.... phenomenal job done... i dont know what it is about Torri... i think she is just "Funtastic"!!!!!!
                            ..::!SAVE DR. ELIZABETH WEIR!::..

Comment

Originally posted by Presley_Carter

same here Torri plays Elizabeth naturally !!
                              We are facing our future together - Dr. Elizabeth Weir
                              Dr. Elisabeth Weir is a proud member of the GTA !
                              *~'.:GTA 199:.'~*

Stargate Omega: so much more than a website ! Join the place today.

Comment

Originally posted by Beckmen
                                Torri Higginson IMO is massivly ugly and looks NOTHING like Steen. I am NOT looking forward to seeing her in action, but there's plenty of chance for her to change my mind come June.
                                LMAO at the thought of Torri Higginson as ugly. Ummm...Are we looking at the same person??

I had absolutely no complaints about Jessica Steen's portrayal of Weir. None at all. But after watching TH in Rising alone, I was totally sold. She's just got that "something" that quickly made Weir my favorite character.

I just gotta say I really hope you've watched it to realize the error of the previous opinion. If not, I understand as it's your call, but I feel sorry for all you're missing out on.

Rodney: "Air..person. Don't be there.(pause) Crap."
                                Hermiod: "what did you do?"
                                Rodney: "...It's Wraith."
                                Hermiod: "Crap, indeed."

Comment

Working...
                                X