This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
    The Wraith already knew the address to Atlantis, thats how they drove the ancients out of the pegasus galaxy. The ancients had to activate the shield to stop the Wraith getting into the city. And according to other threads on the General Discussion page, there is no way to tell the address of an incoming wormhole.
    I think the point needs to made that though the wraith know the location of Atlantis they might not necessarily know the gate address of atlantis. It is possible that the Wraith do know how to translate locations into gate addresses. Of course this is extremely unlikely, especially considering that the Wraith know enough about the Pegasus stargates in order to make remote DHDs. More than likely the Wraith know the Atlantis gate address. That of course leaves the question of why the Wraith never gated into Atlantis during those thousands of years it lay abandoned on the the ocean floor.

OT: How do remote DHDs work? Do they interface directly to the stargate or to the DHD with the Stargate?

Spoiler:
    When the Wraith Darts left Athosia their remote DHD cause the Athosian DHD to activate and illuminate the symbol buttons of the gate address, but the gate in orbit around the Wraith planet did not seem to have a DHD in attendance and presumably the Wraith use remote DHD as did Major sheppard to activate this gate.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
      We know that that's the case in the Pegasus galaxy, but it might not be here in the Milky Way. And you still can have corresponding symbols, some Pegasus ones probably have more than one, I guess.
      nope-all the pegusus gates are like the MW ones-its onlt atlantis's that has the symbols like constelations
      MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
      I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

maybe when you dial a different galaxy what each symbols represent change, so if you dial 7 each mean a star, but if you ar dialing a galaxy the first means a galaxy, the next six means a star and the last is the origin

Comment

We haven't discovered a Stargate "caller ID" but maybe the Ancients had one implimented for security. It could explain why the Wraith never managed to gate into Atlantis, even after they left.

Not sure on those remote DHD's...
          The gates that orbit planets appear to have extra hardware attached to them. Maybe a power source and co-ordinate receiver is attached to them?
          When on land a Wraith Dart or PJ may utilize the DHD's power source, and therefore activates the gate. I suppose it prevents more than one party dialing as well, because it illuminates symbols remotely, as if someone was there punching in.

I wonder if a PJ/Dart has a power source that can transmit the required power to the gate. That would kill my theory. They can cram the power source into a DHD, they could put one on a PJ...

I dunno... I can rant more though...

Comment

May be Spoiler
            In episode 15 of SGA, "Before I Sleep" Janus tells Weir that he has blocked all stargate addresses except the one from Earth. This prevented the wraith from gating into Atlantis if they knew the address.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
              The ancients didn't put power systems (ZPMs) in the DHDs to allow for intergalactic travel. They also apparently didn't put the special control crystals in the DHDs. So they never intended for their fledgling human civilizations to travel between galaxies until they understood how the stargate coordinates worked, and were able to build the technology that would allow them to do that.
              The dialing computer in the SGC is such a system, which is the only reason why we could dial the Asgard galaxy and the Pegasus galaxy.

Pegasus gate system was built after the Milky Way gate system. Milky Way gates have 39 symbols. Pegasus gates have 36 symbols. It's a simple numbers thing. You can't have the symbols on the pegasus gates represent more than 36 distinct objects. It doesn't matter what the symbols look like.

It simply means that the gate system in the Milky Way can go to more desintations than the Pegasus gate system can, which makes sense. The Pegasus galaxy is alot smaller than the Milky Way; Pegasus is only about 2% of the size of the Milky Way.
              We also know that the ancients were only able to "seed" about 1000 worlds with human life before they encountered the Wraith. That means there are only about 1000 stargates in Pegasus.

Had the ancients not encountered the Wraith, they would have been able to plant alot more stargates on planets in Pegasus, but since there aren't as many worlds there as there are in our galaxy, they didn't need as many symbols on their gates to get to all of the locations.
              I worked out how many gates there are in the pegasus galaxy using the formula that was on one of the threads (cant remember) and the Milky Way galaxy had about 2.1 billion gates and the pegasus galaxy had about 1.3-1.6 billion gates. Now, sugesting that the formula is correct, which I am currently studying, the Ancients had seeded alot of planets with life and stargates.

Does anyone know if the stargates in the Ida galaxy (Asgard) are the same as the ones in the Milky Way galaxy or different? does anyone know how they are different if they are and how many glyphs/symbols there are and how many are needed to dial another gate (7, 6, 8?) Please reply or PM me

Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X