This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronon's pistol power

Hey folks, I'm new to Gateworld and this is my first post. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed how they have dwarfed the power of Ronon's pistol. I remember when they first introduced Ronon and then had that scene with him and Sheppard on the shoting range. And his gun shoots that foot and a half hole in that target. Or when his chasing that wraith through the forest and he leaves huge crater in a tree. But lately it seems that they have really brought the power of it down. Like in Lost Tribe when he shoots that wraith in the head and it barely leaves a burn mark let alone blasting it apart like it should have. Anyway I just want to know what you guys thought about it.
    It's sad how much I look like Coombs.

Originally posted by InSaNo View Post
    Hey folks, I'm new to Gateworld and this is my first post. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed how they have dwarfed the power of Ronon's pistol. I remember when they first introduced Ronon and then had that scene with him and Sheppard on the shoting range. And his gun shoots that foot and a half hole in that target. Or when his chasing that wraith through the forest and he leaves huge crater in a tree. But lately it seems that they have really brought the power of it down. Like in Lost Tribe when he shoots that wraith in the head and it barely leaves a burn mark let alone blasting it apart like it should have. Anyway I just want to know what you guys thought about it.
    in all honesty im glad theyve made it less powerful i mean for the whole of season 2 it was like ronans gun solved everything like when sheppard went wraith they just shot him with ronans gun it was a bit stupid

key members of parliament, key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy and you put them in a room with a psychic.

sigpic

thanks to stef for making this banner

Comment

Yea, it was a little bit too much. And I remember an episode too where he melted though (a 302?) door with only like 10 shots.

Maybe he couldn't get an as powerful power pack?
      Or maybe they just toned it down so he couldn't go Rambo.

Comment

The Pistol has 3 settings Stun, Kill and Blast. Ronan was probably using Kill when there was only little flames coming from the Wraiths head in "outsiders"

Comment

In "Travelers" Larin blew a hole in an Aurora class blast door with one...I don't think it's been toned down, just maybe like the person above said it has 3 settings not two.

Comment

Plus, if it's tough to recharge or find new power cells for, Ronon probably has to turn down the juice so it won't run out of energy mid-battle.
            Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

Hmmm yes but remember what martin lloyd said "You can't have your heroes too powerful!" But yes i definitely have noticed.
              Tst

Comment

Originally posted by InSaNo View Post
                The only time I noticed that is in "The Lost Tribe" when he shot the crystal trays in the engineering room. It should have blasted them apart, not just broke a few crystals.

Vala,

Comment

Interesting, I never notice that. I did notice however, that the guns like his that the Travelers had seem to run out fairly quickly and they didn't have any more power packs for them - so how does Ronon keep getting power? Still a great gun, maybe it's running purely on Ronon's rage

Comment

Originally posted by elle2000 View Post
                    Interesting, I never notice that. I did notice however, that the guns like his that the Travelers had seem to run out fairly quickly and they didn't have any more power packs for them - so how does Ronon keep getting power? Still a great gun, maybe it's running purely on Ronon's rage
                    Or maybe the Travelers' guns were being used longer than Ronon's gun was. The real world answer is that it was convenient for the episode so it was written in. And I'm not 100% sure but I think that there is a scene when Ronon was changing out the power cylander in "Instinct" before going through the gate.

Vala,

Comment

I would say they just brought down how strong it was cause it was a bit stupid being able to destroy blast doors with it also I think the wraith are getting easier to kill because in season 1 it took an entire magazine to kill 1 now it takes only a few bullets to kill 1
                      sigpic

Comment

Rec con. The writers just lost track of the fact that Ronan's gun should have been more powerful.
                        StarshineRoxie
                        A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
                        sigpic

Comment

It is still more powerful than any other hand gun in the show, but I think there are several main reasons why they dialled down it's power:

1. It gets boring if all Ronon has to do is shot it once

2. Sheppard tells Ronon to mostly keep it set to Stun

3. The shows rating is '12'; (season 4: 15) seeing a Wraiths head getting blown apart may be considered slightly too gory and they'd have to up the rating cutting off a large percentage of their viewers.

4. It's just another un-necessary expensive graphical effect. (They did the same thing with Wraith Prison Doors, they used to have a really cool CGI effect, then suddenly they just go up and down)
                          Last edited by bobsenior; 13 May 2009, 02:41 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X