This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casting Blunders that Killed the Show... You Fix Them

So obviously Atlantis has been riddled with casting issues, seen by the fact that we have seen half the original cast killed off. So how should it have been done?

The one glaring omission that I see is that they never had an archaeologist, which I guess Weir was supposed to fill in for, but didn't. I know Jonas was originally planned to be a part of the Expedition, but wasn't. So I guess adding him to the original team would've helped.

After all, Daniel being the archaeologist on SG-1 was half of the appeal.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

casting blunders didn't kill SGA, lazy and bad writing did
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

You talk as if losing a number of the original cast is a bad thing... or as if it's a good thing which proves that those missing members from the original cast themselves were the bad thing.

I think it's good, in principle, to get new characters; and if we know we can lose the ones we have, it heightens the danger and hence the drama whenever the remaining ones are in peril.

So I wouldn't change the casting.

There's a few tweaks I'd make, but I'm happy enough with the acting on the show.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
        You talk as if losing a number of the original cast is a bad thing... or as if it's a good thing which proves that those missing members from the original cast themselves were the bad thing.
        You talk as if you know more about my thoughts than I do. I talk as if I was saying "obviously Atlantis has been riddled with casting issues, seen by the fact that we have seen half the original cast killed off."

I'm pretty sure the actual producers have openly talked about these character issues, and have cited them as the reason they've gotten rid of all the stars that they have except for Beckett.
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

What casting issues, I am perfectly content with the current cast, and have been throughout the course of the show. The only character I ever really disliked was Ford, and that was just because he never really fit in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
            I talk as if I was saying "obviously Atlantis has been riddled with casting issues, seen by the fact that we have seen half the original cast killed off.
            Yup, that's right, I remember you saying that

It's not particularly obvious IMO or necessarily even true, that there were 'casting issues'. It's as likely that the issues (if there were issues) were with the characters, or just that TPTB (like me) felt that a bit of a turnover would be peppy for the show.

I just don't think there were any blunders, that's all. Shows lose, gain and lose their main cast all the time, it doesn't usually tend to indicate a flaw in the hiring process, just a progression of the story

Madeleine

Comment

So obviously Atlantis has been riddled with casting issues, seen by the fact that we have seen half the original cast killed off. So how should it have been done?

The one glaring omission that I see is that they never had an archaeologist, which I guess Weir was supposed to fill in for, but didn't. I know Jonas was originally planned to be a part of the Expedition, but wasn't. So I guess adding him to the original team would've helped.

Incredibly poor writing and casting blunders were the cause for SGA's demise. Unfortunately, it's too late to fix anything now.
              sigpic

Comment

While casting changes are inevidable for any given show. If too many changes occur with in a brief period of time, then it can have some chemistry and other affects on the show. As was definately evident on SG1 when we went from season 8 to season 9.

While in many cases we would love to just keep the cast always the same, I know that it would be an unrealistic expectation. If done properly, than an existing characters exit and new characters entrance can happen seemlessly where we as viewers can see the change but notice that it hasn't affected the chemistry with the other characters much and can actually be just as good or maybe even better for the show
                My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Hmmm ... I never saw Daniel as being half the appeal. He was never any part of the reason why i started watching. It was pretty much because of the whole team. And Weir was not an archeaeologist nor did she have that background. She was a negotiator. I don't think I ever heard anything about her having any kind of archeaology background. Never heard anything about Jonas being part of the expedition either, but I think I would have liked him being there. I also had the impression that characters were gotten rid of to "shake things up", and not because they were bad characters.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                    casting blunders didn't kill SGA, lazy and bad writing did
                    nope SGU did

You talk as if you know more about my thoughts than I do. I talk as if I was saying "obviously Atlantis has been riddled with casting issues, seen by the fact that we have seen half the original cast killed off."
                    half the original cast???

the original cast: Shep, Rodney, Weir, Teyla and Ford

the s5 cast: Shep, Rodney, Teyla, Ronon, Woolsey and Keller

I'm pretty sure the actual producers have openly talked about these character issues, and have cited them as the reason they've gotten rid of all the stars that they have except for Beckett.
                    what stars?
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

No casting blunders killed the show, the cast is stronger now than it has ever been. What killed the show was SGU, and TPTB have virtually said as much.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        No casting blunders killed the show, the cast is stronger now than it has ever been. What killed the show was SGU, and TPTB have virtually said as much.
                        I guess .

Comment

I never liked Weir or Ford so I am pretty happy with the way it has turned out so far. The only thing that killed the show was close minded SG1 fans.

Comment

Jonas? On Atlantis!? That would be ROCK! Except then everyone would really start going: "Oh well now they're clearly making him into Daniel."

I never thought Weir was a great leader, having only been involved in International Treaties. She did well, but she never gave me the feeling of "I'm the boss" the way Hammond did. I know, two different backgrounds and all, but he was probably the gold standard for base commanders on the show. So she was a good character but never got me as leader.

As for Ford...He was, at best a mediocre character who needed far more development than he got. So he sorta got the shaft.

I think the current cast is fantastic and very strong. Although a little more of a...Scottish...presence would be nice.
                            sigpic

Just repeat to yourself; "It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                              nope SGU did
                              Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              What killed the show was SGU, and TPTB have virtually said as much.
                              Umm, no.

GW: Now how do you respond to the Atlantis fans who might be angry that their show is being pushed aside for the "new kid on the block," Stargate Universe?

BW: It's not the case. It's not the case that anything is being pushed aside, any more than SG-1 is pushed aside. Shows have a life, and they live their life ... SG-1 went five years on SCI FI. Atlantis went five years on SCI FI. I'm proud of that, and there are always going to be people -- there were people who were upset after 10 years! As many, I'm sure, as who were upset after the five years of Atlantis. There will always be a point where those people are disappointed.

This is a way of preserving Atlantis going forward in a very strong way.
                              http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...ngs_...2.shtml

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X