This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Sheppard Command Atlantis???

What do you guys think? You think John could do it?

I certainly would love to see John get promoted to full colonel, and command Atlantis. I think he is the most qualified.

I'm probably alone here.

Please, be nice.

*hides from flying debris*
    sigpic
    Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

I don't think he would want to. He is more of a man of action.
    "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
    'Eleanor Roosevelt'
    Individuality is freedom lived.
    'Janis Joplin'

Comment

In a way, I think Sheppard already views himself as the (unofficial) head of Atlantis. A perfect example is in "Broken Ties".
      Spoiler:
      He okays the plan to go off-world and Woolsey has to remind him that it isn't his call to make.

I doubt he'd take command though (unless push came to shove), since Carter's already said, "now I see why you didn't want the job."

Comment

I think he could do it, but he wouldn't want to, as evidenced in the past. There have been moments when he's clearly wished he was in full command of the expedition, but far more often than not, he's level-headed about himself and his surroundings to know that controlling the military operations are quite enough for John Sheppard.

It kind of makes me think of Billy Costigan in The Departed. His line to Costello about how 'yeah, I probably could'. John is capable, more than capable. But capable doesn't always translate to desire, as I too know full well.

All in all, I've always appreciated his stance and the way the writers haven't just turned him into the base's leader post-Weir or even post-Carter. It isn't normal for everyone in the franchise to go 'oh hell yes' to every single potential promotion, and Sheppard knows he's best suited off-world. He's Mr. Fantastic.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

If he was to take the O'Neill role in Season 8 of SG1 were he was behind a desk for most of the series. Then no, I wouldn't want to see, nor would I see, Sheppard taking the role. As already mentioned, he's a man of action and the team needs him. At least with SG1 there was Carter, Daniel and T on the team. But you can't really see McKay, Ronan and Teyla lasting without him. So no, I can't see Sheppard commanding Atlantis unless he was still on out world missions. Which would be unlikely because they would nee the commander at Atlantis at all times.
          sigpic

Comment

I'd like to see John promoted to full colonel but not in full command of Atlantis because it would keep him behind a desk. Maybe in many years to come but not at the present time. (Not likely to be seen now that the show has been cancelled. Unless the movies go on for a long time).

As for the full colonel bit I think he deserves it. After all, Mitchell got his promotion so why not Shep.
            sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't put the man in charge of a tour group let alone Atlantis. And promoting him to Full Bird Colonel? He shouldn't have even been promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.

I'll admit, the man is charismatic and likeable, of that there is no doubt, but he just grates on my nerves with his blatant disregard for orders, despite the final outcome. I would have liked him better had they not promoted him above Major.
              LLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Aquarian View Post
                I wouldn't put the man in charge of a tour group let alone Atlantis.
                ROTFL.

And my answer to the question... no. Just no.

He's too reckless. He always comes up with insane plans that only work because the writers have made him the luckiest human being ever.

Although I will grant you that he's basically been in charge since about season 3. But that's because the other characters (regardless of who's in charge) almost always let him do what he wants.

If he were in charge, he would need to learn to delegate instead of rushing off into danger all the time.
                Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I don't think he would or that they would even consider him. Besides, he has more important things to do. I would rather see him going rogue and getting Elizabeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1 View Post
                    I don't think he would want to. He is more of a man of action.
                    Agree!

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
                    He's Mr. Fantastic.
                    Oh yes, he is!

Comment

I don't think he's quite diplomatic enough to run Atlantis. He's got the knowledge of the city itself, but I think he's too reckless to be put in complete command. His experience is needed on offworld missions.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Working...
                      X