Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And don't forget, Stargate Atlantis loving people, pretty soon, you'll be getting a regular 'fix' again, but from a different Stargate show!

Now, watch it spin! See it? Fix gotten?

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
      And don't forget, Stargate Atlantis loving people, pretty soon, you'll be getting a regular 'fix' again, but from a different Stargate show!

Now, watch it spin! See it? Fix gotten?

I wouldn't call it a fix id call it a broken
      sigpic
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard!!" campaign.

Comment

It does make sense to cancel Atlantis to use movies to continue them. As the series, lets face it, are very like SG1 and they have similar adventures with similar outcomes. We can compare the alternate reality episode with one in SG1, likewise we can compare the opening episode were they are trapped to the episode of SG1 were they are trapped in Antarctica. So there are parallels that we can draw and compare between the two shows and this, for me, is one of the reasons for its downfall.

At first it was new, it was different, it had tons of potential to be thrust forwards, but they didn't take ahold of it as much as they could have done. They made the Wraith beatable, they brought in the replicators and some of the time it worked but it was disappointing at times. They had the potential, but they failed in taking hold of it. So it does make sense in canceling it before it can go downhill. For me, SG1 should have been ended after Season 8 and even then Season 7 and 8 were not the best in the set.

So I can see were you are coming from that a season lasts longer and the fans get more out of it. They can also pull in commercials etc, so it does make sense that way. But it also costs money to produce seasons of these things and if they have 20 episodes, times that by 40 minutes and you'll have 800 minutes of footage that is shown give or take. You would have to add to that any out takes, the cost of paying the actors to do run after run, the cost of the machinery used, the cost of the production and soon enough it would eclipse that of a 90 to a 120 minute movie.

Futhermore the fans of Atlantis can get a lot out of a couple of Atlantis movies, like we did out of the SG1 movies. Sure season upon season would be good, but really unless this new enemy in Atlantis which I haven't seen yet sets the series on fire. There really isn't much more that can be got out of it. As the replicators are gone, the wraith are in a civil war and been made more of a joke than a serious enemy. So it pretty much leaves the series done and dusted.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1989 View Post

Futhermore the fans of Atlantis can get a lot out of a couple of Atlantis movies, like we did out of the SG1 movies. Sure season upon season would be good, but really unless this new enemy in Atlantis which I haven't seen yet sets the series on fire. There really isn't much more that can be got out of it. As the replicators are gone, the wraith are in a civil war and been made more of a joke than a serious enemy. So it pretty much leaves the series done and dusted.

I beg to differ, I think the first two movies were rushed, and they tried to finish off Ball and the Ori Story too quickly imo.I think the Ori Story could've gone on even longer say 3-4 more seasons imo but It was rushed imo, and I don't think for atlantis you can finish off the story that quickly. But for Robert C Cooper and Brad Wright and MGM and Sci Fi $$$$ is more important for them. But If they do go a series of Atlantis movies then hopefully it won't be rushed, and the fact I am hoping at least 4 Atlantis and 3 SG-1 movies every year if they continue with Universe as series and the other two franchise as a series of movies and I am hoping thats its not rushed like the first two movies.

In Addition, something like Stargate(s) which is a Adventure/comedy/Action type, you simply cannot fit it all into a movie. You just can't well a series of movies.

Hey check this what a stupid vid about universe. so Cheesy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HO8zkSHxho
          Edit/Delete Message

Comment

Admitted the two movies were slightly rushed and they could have been better. But at least with Atlantis if they finish the series as it is now, it could be wrapped up in a couple of movies quite easily. As the wraith are on the back foot, replicators gone and it leaves not much for them to solve in that galaxy. As for SG1 that needed more movies or at least another series to wrap up the Ori as they were potentially a very cool enemy. But hey I suppose the movies have their purpose and let the creators and writers focus upon the SGU.
            sigpic

Comment

Admitted the two movies were slightly rushed and they could have been better. But at least with Atlantis if they finish the series as it is now, it could be wrapped up in a couple of movies quite easily. As the wraith are on the back foot, replicators gone and it leaves not much for them to solve in that galaxy. As for SG1 that needed more movies or at least another series to wrap up the Ori as they were potentially a very cool enemy. But hey I suppose the movies have their purpose and let the creators and writers focus upon the SGU.

I know, but I think the problem with SGA was that they killed off too many of the characters, thats why it didn't as well as it could've just like it predecessor. Don't get me wrong I think both SGA and SG-1 are too my all time fav sci fi shows. I will watch universe with an open mind, but attracting at a younger audience bad move imo. Cos, most of the people in there late to early teens aren't into Sci Fi anymore, or the people who are in there early teens enjoying watching atlantis. By having younger actors I don't see how thats going to attract the younger audience imo.

Comment

It wasn't just killing off characters and getting rid of characters (eg Ford, Beckett, Weir etc). It was a combination of that and poor writing at times. For example the Wraith were this big tough enemy that finished off the ancient and made them run. Yet along come this crew to Atlantis and they manage to beat the Wraith, or at least put them in a civil war and turn the replicators on them. For me, they wrote it badly because they made this potentially awesome enemy become weak and not as serious.

I know that they must win and not be killed off, but they did in a matter of months or a year that the ancients couldn't do with all the technology in years. So it wasn't just killing off characters, it was mistakes in the way the handled the enemies and made them look weak. As the wraith now are not as scary, they are not as tough as they were when they first appeared. They've lost that due to poor writing. As Atlantis could have gone on longer if they had used the characters and the enemies better. Eg SG1 building up the Gou'ald and it took them 8 seasons to kick their asses and get rid of them. Or least reduce the threat to barely anything. It took Atlantis two maybe three seasons to do that. That was one of their major problems why it has now been canceled .
                sigpic

Comment

It wasn't just killing off characters and getting rid of characters (eg Ford, Beckett, Weir etc). It was a combination of that and poor writing at times. For example the Wraith were this big tough enemy that finished off the ancient and made them run. Yet along come this crew to Atlantis and they manage to beat the Wraith, or at least put them in a civil war and turn the replicators on them. For me, they wrote it badly because they made this potentially awesome enemy become weak and not as serious.

I know that they must win and not be killed off, but they did in a matter of months or a year that the ancients couldn't do with all the technology in years. So it wasn't just killing off characters, it was mistakes in the way the handled the enemies and made them look weak. As the wraith now are not as scary, they are not as tough as they were when they first appeared. They've lost that due to poor writing. As Atlantis could have gone on longer if they had used the characters and the enemies better. Eg SG1 building up the Gou'ald and it took them 8 seasons to kick their asses and get rid of them. Or least reduce the threat to barely anything. It took Atlantis two maybe three seasons to do that. That was one of their major problems why it has now been canceled .

Good point, but I would still rate atlantis very high, imo its one of the best sci fi shows along with SG-1. No other Sci Fi show apart from Star trek(s)

Comment

From what I've seen, it was a joint decision by MGM and the SFC to end the series. Actors contracts typically are for 5 years and with the current ratings, an increase in the budget due to raises may not be in the best interests of the studio or the network. It would be cheaper to create a new series. We are in a recession and new union contracts were signed so costs may have increased and advertisers may be demanding lower ad rates.

Another problem with SGA is that the writers turned Rodney into the modern day Dr. Smith (Lost in Space) and many of the surviving main cast members characters didn't have any on-going or consistent character development and were turned into cheerleaders/backups for John and Rodney. All the years in Atlantis and no new tech found/discovered? How about at least discovering a way to make ZPM's. Fans may not notice, but the casual viewer might and that affects the ratings if there are no payoffs in the overall arc.
                    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi View Post
                      From what I've seen, it was a joint decision by MGM and the SFC to end the series. Actors contracts typically are for 5 years and with the current ratings, an increase in the budget due to raises may not be in the best interests of the studio or the network. It would be cheaper to create a new series. We are in a recession and new union contracts were signed so costs may have increased and advertisers may be demanding lower ad rates.

Another problem with SGA is that the writers turned Rodney into the modern day Dr. Smith (Lost in Space) and many of the surviving main cast members characters didn't have any on-going or consistent character development and were turned into cheerleaders/backups for John and Rodney. All the years in Atlantis and no new tech found/discovered? How about at least discovering a way to make ZPM's. Fans may not notice, but the casual viewer might and that affects the ratings if there are no payoffs in the overall arc.
                      Yeah true. McKay, I actually like McKay, he is one of my fav characters, Dr Smith from Lost in Space haha I remember watching that when i was 10 years old. True, there has been no technology discovered, maybe this should one the things in order to improve the show, but I do hope that the wraith do, come up with something to fight the wraith vaccine, or some super wraiths come along who are meaner looking and are more powerful. Cos, the ancients did try to annihilate the wraith but they failed to do so, now here comes along a primitive people who some how defeated the wraith with a simple vaccine. But I do hope they continue with the wraiths (Super Wraiths ) and along with the replicators (who come back hopefully) and the new species.

Comment

Working...
                      X