Do the Wraith have names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spireva View Post
    I'd imagine that their 'names' have something to do with their rank within the hive or their age... something that has no direct translation into any of the languages spoken aloud.

This might also explain why Michael was referred to as such... since all of the other wraith considered him tainted, unpure, not-quite-wraith-enough, whatever you want to say, they'd call him the name that would bring as much shame as possible.

Is Todd ever called Todd by any of the other wraith? Todd commands more respect from the others than Michael, and therefore got to keep his secret wraith-name.
    No, he is never called Todd by any of the other wraith. When another wraith referred to him in a conversation with Sheppard he referred to Todd as an acquaintance of his who helped Atlantis destroy the replicators.
    "If I find out your playing us I'm not going to wait for authorization. There isn't going to be any paperwork. I'm just going to kill you."

Comment

i like the line Rodney said when Sheppard named Kenny. somethin' to the effect of voting next time when it comes to naming them. LOL.

i like Deline's idea. the numbering. like "Seven of Nine" from Star Trek. or Wraith 22 of 56.
      "sir, we cannot name the ship the Enterprise"

Comment

I think the Wraith do have conventional names. The fact they don't share that information is, I believe, intentional and meant to demonstrate their contempt for humanity.

Goa'uld like to make speeches and intimidate their subjects but to the Wraith humans are just food. Not even worth talking to. When we first met the Wraith, they completely ignored everything their human captives were saying. It's just part of their culture to avoid socializing with humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          There's a lot of wraith loving folk on GW mate.....not me per se but there are a lot.

Hope you are ready for a war of words!
          You got that right, as a member of the Wraith Defender Club but my mum brought me up to be polite. So no war but plenty of jaw jaw.

MCH
          sigpic
          Thanks to DS for my siggy

Comment

You know what's even stranger, and correct me if I'm wrong, but not only did we never hear a name, but we never heard a single word in the Wraith's language.

I mean, I know everyone in the universe speaks conversational English, but even the Goa'uld had a few words of their own.

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
              The Wraith are an insect species and insects tend not have a sense of individuality, for this reason I doubt they have names as we know them. Each Hive is its own group of Wraith and there can't be that many male Wraith on a Hive, each Queen would only need enough to control all the warriors.

I think Queen's may have names, as it may just be in my own head but they seem more different from each other than male Wraith. Apart from Todd, are there any real difference between Steve, Bob or Kenny?
              Hi

Been lots of talk about Wraith names on Wraith Defender Club. As Wraith are a telepathic race does the hive help provide a conduit for communication as they are part insect so the Wraith use a hive mind to communicate.

Some of the Wraith have tattoo does a Wraith think of a tattoo and can get in contact with the owner of the tattoo. I don't think so.

In some fan fic on the Wraith the idea is that each Wraith name is made up of colours and scent, so to contact another you think of their colour and scent.

Others suggested that names are given due to a Wraith actions when culling or fighting against another hive. The wraith Steve told Shepherd I Am Your Death. Wheather that was his name or wishful thinking on Steve part as to what he wanted to do to Shepherd we will never know.

In the Stargate Magazine issue 29 for Aug/Sept 09. The Wraith Todd wonder why do humans have to name everything, including him. He felt that humans named objects and other humans because humans unlike Wraith are not a telepathic race.So human name another human to get their attention.

What I think is that when a Wraith want to talk to another Wraith they reach out with their mind to find that Wraith and touch his mind. So a name is not needed.

A Queen can do this but as the leader of the hive I think She is able to do a Hive communication so she can give commands to the whole hive. Useful during a culling or a battle with another hive. I also think that her senior Commander have access to this hive channel as well.

Hope that helps as these are some of the ideas I have come across.

MCH
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archetype View Post
                You know what's even stranger, and correct me if I'm wrong, but not only did we never hear a name, but we never heard a single word in the Wraith's language.

I mean, I know everyone in the universe speaks conversational English, but even the Goa'uld had a few words of their own.
                You are correct about the spoken Wraith. Don't the Stargate give any one who goes through them the ability to understands a planet language? So that could mean a Wraith speaking any language of whatever planet they are on.

The only time we see any language is when you see wraith writing. The first time we see it as far as I know is when one of the Earth battleship Hermis the Asgard is on board and Shepherd team is returning to Atlantis and it has been infected with a Wraith computer virus. Rodney has a hunch and find it.
                HE says "Oh crap"
                Hermis replies "Crap indeed".

Elizabeth Weir does say that Wraith written language is based on the Ancients language.

MCH
                sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure whether or not they were words but when Teyla reached out with her mind in The Gift there were a lot of back round noises that could have been wraith speaking in their own tongue. And Teyla did say she was hearing voices or whisperings. I will have to watch that scene again.
                  "If I find out your playing us I'm not going to wait for authorization. There isn't going to be any paperwork. I'm just going to kill you."

Comment

The new Stargate Mag #29 has an interesting comment from Todd (as interpreted by Karen Hayes):

Question for Sheppard: "What is this human obsession with names? They name themselves, their ships, their cities and planets; I have heard that some even name their weapons. And why "Todd"? Do humans accept the names that others give them, or can they choose their own names? Perhaps the need to name something arises from their lack of telepathic ability. If I wish to communicate with another Wraith, I need only extend my own thoughts to touch his mind. Without this ability, calling each other by names may be the only way humans can get each other's attention."

I think that's probably a fairly accurate assessment of Wraith in regards to names, or lack thereof.

das
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MCH View Post
                      Don't the Stargate give any one who goes through them the ability to understands a planet language? So that could mean a Wraith speaking any language of whatever planet they are on.
                      MCH
                      I believe that's an explanation made up by fans as an attempt to make sense of the show. I don't think that's ever been stated or even implied on the show itself.

Elizabeth Weir does say that Wraith written language is based on the Ancients language.
                      MCH
                      Interesting.

Comment

I believe that's an explanation made up by fans as an attempt to make sense of the show. I don't think that's ever been stated or even implied on the show itself.
                        Arrr right I'll do some checking about that.

Interesting.
                        Elizabeth Weir actually stated that in one of the earlier season. But again I check that out for you.

MCH
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Destroyer View Post
                          I'm not sure whether or not they were words but when Teyla reached out with her mind in The Gift there were a lot of back round noises that could have been wraith speaking in their own tongue. And Teyla did say she was hearing voices or whisperings. I will have to watch that scene again.
                          When she reached out to one of the hives during the Siege after being told about her Wraith DNA I think that was towards then end of Season 1.

MCH
                          sigpic

Comment

Been to WDC thread. We think that it was Joe M on his blog who told the fans that the Stargate give you the ability to understand a planet language when you go through.

Problem is he blogged such alot I don't remember where that entry is.

Interesting.
                            It was also confirmed it was Elizabeth Weir who said the Wraith written language was based on Ancient language.

So hope that helps.

MCH
                            sigpic

Comment

When she reached out to one of the hives during the Siege after being told about her Wraith DNA I think that was towards then end of Season 1.

MCH
                              Yep, she did it in the Gift at the end of season one and in The Siege part 3 at the beginning of season 2.

Comment

i don't think they have names. i think they communicate through they're telepathic minds ect.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X