This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    In that case, she shouldn't have been in command. Which was what the whole point of her character was.

What I think they really needed, was more politics, more negotiating with alien races. The Genii were perfect for Weir, and they underused them.
    very good point. I think TPTB couldn't decide if the show was character-driven or action-driven and weir suffered.

Comment

In that case, she shouldn't have been in command. Which was what the whole point of her character was.

What I think they really needed, was more politics, more negotiating with alien races. The Genii were perfect for Weir, and they underused them.
      Definitely.

I was mind boggled all throughout the first series of episodes with the Genii as to why Sheppard was negotiating trade deals in a first contact situation instead of Weir.

Meanwhile she was back at the pace doing absolutely nothing with those lauded diplomacy skills she supposedly utilized to negotiate treaties. I think she spent the majority of that episode reacting to Sheppard's concessions and deals as opposed to actually doing anything.

All fault of TPTB, I know. It's just an example of how much they didn't know what to do with the character or how to use her.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
        Definitely.

I was mind boggled all throughout the first series of episodes with the Genii as to why Sheppard was negotiating trade deals in a first contact situation instead of Weir.

Meanwhile she was back at the pace doing absolutely nothing with those lauded diplomacy skills she supposedly utilized to negotiate treaties. I think she spent the majority of that episode reacting to Sheppard's concessions and deals as opposed to actually doing anything.

All fault of TPTB, I know. It's just an example of how much they didn't know what to do with the character or how to use her.
        Indeed.

Remember in "The Lost City"

"I'm not qualified to neogiate with aliens"

"No one is Doctor, not you not I, but someone's got to do it".

Atlantis was an EXPEDITION, not a facility, she was the expedition leader, and she should of acted like one, not like a base commander aka General Hammond.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Indeed.

Remember in "The Lost City"

"I'm not qualified to neogiate with aliens"

"No one is Doctor, not you not I, but someone's got to do it".

Atlantis was an EXPEDITION, not a facility, she was the expedition leader, and she should of acted like one, not like a base commander aka General Hammond.
          No, I don't remember that exchange. Who was saying which line?
          sigpic

Comment

No, I don't remember that exchange. Who was saying which line?
            The President and Doctor Weir, at the start when she'd been called to his office. My point was just that the entire reason she was brought into the Gateverse was to be a diplomat, not a base commander, to be negotiating treaties and trade deals.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I think bringing characters like Weir & Ford into the upcoming movies would be a step back in the telling of the story. I'd like to see the story move forward. I can concede that the storyline for Ford (& for some, Weir) left too much open, but I don't think a movie is the best place to air that laundry. I don't want to revisit old stories in a movie, I want something new.

And I'm kinda hoping Clone!Beckett and his Michael-thing are resolved during the season. The dangling thread of that storyline should just be wrapped up. Resolved doesn't mean kill him off or anything, just close the loop ~ is Clone!Beckett a threat or not and just kill off Michael already for cryin' out loud.

So, onto movies!

Other than time travel or a RESET button, how can you really bring them back? The team sits around over beers and remarks "hey remember that time Ford..blah blah blah"? Ugh. No thanks. it sounds like a 'clip' episode, not a movie.

Or, do you have the team travel back in time to... what? Maybe some new enemy is screwing around with our timeline and trying to prevent Atlantis from rising from the ocean floor? So "current team" follows them back and encounters "old team"? Not thrilling, but is the best thing I can come up with for having the early cast in the the movies.

Not really gung ho for it. I'd prefer that the movie proceed with the current team or whatever is left of it by the end of s5 (~ I don't spoiler so I have no idea) and maybe some brand new movie-faces thrown in. (*ducks and runs out quickly...)

Comment

Don't go, Reiko. Don't go. I don't actually hate you!
                Wow? Really!?

Anywhoots, I feel that it wouldn't be a step back but a step forward. Gotta keep moving forward and you can't do that when you're dragging this behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                  Wow? Really!?

Anywhoots, I feel that it wouldn't be a step back but a step forward. Gotta keep moving forward and you can't do that when you're dragging this behind.
                  I'm hurt

:: scuttles off into the corner ::

Although, I don't see how rehashing and being stuck in the past is moving forward. Sometimes you just have to let things go.
                  sigpic

Comment

Although, I don't see how rehashing and being stuck in the past is moving forward. Sometimes you just have to let things go.
                    Try that when they dump your favorite character and never go back to her/his storyline ever again but leave it hanging somewhere in the middle.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Try that when they dump your favorite character and never go back to her/his storyline ever again but leave it hanging somewhere in the middle.
                      but they continued Carson's and Weir's arc
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                        but they continued Carson's and Weir's arc
                        Carson's a clone, and Weir's floating in space. Ford was pronounced dead on a blog. They didn't have an arc... Carson maybe, but Weir definitely not. An arc takes place over several episodes, not one.

Let's see Carson got a clone (wars) storyline but Keller took his position and they like her. So, the chances of him being in any future film(s) are 50/50.

Weir hasn't moved an inch since BAMSR and they're going round and round and round, not really going anywhere accept butchering the character each time they reach "start". The chances of her story going anywhere other than round - for the moment not looking too good. I'd say the chances of being forgotten or pronounced dead on someone's blog are very real.

Ford's was dropped to be never heard of again.... I'd say he fit the description then perfectly.

I wouldn't mind seeing something that could have taken place in the earlier seasons, but not with the current PTW and I wouldn't want them either, cause they would just mess it all up.

Comment

Carson's a clone, and Weir's floating in space. Ford was pronounced dead on a blog. They didn't have an arc... Carson maybe, but Weir definitely not. An arc takes place over several episodes, not one.
                          yup so for Weir it'd be FS, Adrift, Lifeline, (TMC), BAMSR and GitM. 5/6 eps = arc

Let's see Carson got a clone (wars) storyline but Keller took his position and they like her. So, the chances of him being in any future film(s) are 50/50.
                          the chances of Carson being in the movie(s) are very high imo. BW and RCC killed the character, M&M and Mark Stern brought him back. TBTB aren't stupid, they know how popular the character is so I'm sure that he'll appear in future movies.

Weir hasn't moved an inch since BAMSR and they're going round and round and round, not really going anywhere accept butchering the character each time they reach "start".
                          LOL she hasn't? last time I checked she was floating in space instead of being in command of a spaceship

The chances of her story going anywhere other than round - for the moment not looking too good. I'd say the chances of being forgotten or pronounced dead on someone's blog are very real.
                          according to Joe it is unlikely that we'll see Weir in the movie. I know you and others woud like her to return but the show's moved on imo so I'd be very surprised to see her again. JMO of course

Ford's was dropped to be never heard of again.... I'd say he fit the description then perfectly.
                          agreed

I wouldn't mind seeing something that could have taken place in the earlier seasons,
                          you mean like a prequel? with the s1, s2 or s3 cast?

but not with the current PTW and I wouldn't want them either, cause they would just mess it all up.
                          they're still TBTB, even after the season finale
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

yup so for Weir it'd be FS, Adrift, Lifeline, (TMC), BAMSR and GitM. 5/6 eps = arc
                            Wow, that's some ark. [/end snark]

That's not an arc. An arc is a storyline in which the main character of that storyline has to overcome a problem through several stages. Those 6 episodes, are barely connected with another. The only thing they have in common is Weir.

Definition of an arc:

the principal plot of an ongoing storyline in the episodes of a narrative; the continuous progression or line of development in a story

Let's see (going wildly off-topic - and I'll put it under tags cause I'm talking too much):

Spoiler:
                            First Strike was about Earth putting Atlantis at risk by attacking the Asuran homeworld. Result Atlantis has to haul ass to another planet when it seems the Asurans are like cockroaches and come back with a vengeance.

Adrift continues what happened in FS where in Atlantis tries to get her bearings and find a safe place to land, after the gazillion problems that are being encountered throughout the process. Weir is critically injured and is about to die. She lies around while the story revolves around Atlantis in space. Could have been anyone.

Lifeline is the moment Rodney and Keller use Weir's little nanofriends to repair her damage and they go to the Asuran homeworld for a little heist. Their plan goes awry and Weir saves the day by sacrificing herself for the greater good, Atlantis. This was the beginning of the end. Weir is an important part of the plot, but it's still not about her. It's about the safety of Atlantis.

--That's three episodes out of six and there's still nothing that could be considered part of an arc.

Onto This Mortal Coil, which is all about a duplicate team of the original, as in not the originals, who find out they are being used as labrats so the Niam-followers can figure out what ascension is all about and how the humans managed to achieve it. We get the originals and the duplicates together by chance because they need a little bit of help. Again not about Weir accept the part where we get the information that the real one is "dead".

Be All My Sins Remember'd then... An episode solely dedicated to erradicate the universe once and for all of the Asurans, with a little help from the Wraith and the Travelers. Weir is the Z-plot when we find out she is alive, or it's a darn good copy, and she's commanding a ship. And they're about to begin something now that the others are blown to bits and pieces. Again 10 seconds at the end of an episode is a teaser, not part of an arc.

And then finally we get to Ghost In The Machine, where Franibeth comes to Atlantis and ends up in space ... again. No ending, no closure, just more teasing. Like they are too afraid to let go, even if it was their choice to "kill her off" in the first place.

So, no... can't say I see an arc. A bunch of stories of which Weir is a side-plot, and sometimes not even that.

TBTB aren't stupid, they know how popular the character is so I'm sure that he'll appear in future movies.
                            They are very selective in that knowledge then...

LOL she hasn't? last time I checked she was floating in space instead of being in command of a spaceship
                            I know you're joking, but I was talking about the story... It hasn't moved an inch forward. If it did, we're still back at square one as in no permanent resolution.

according to Joe it is unlikely that we'll see Weir in the movie.
                            Of course, I don't expect them to suddenly be able to write her, since they obviously can't.

I know you and others woud like her to return but the show's moved on imo so I'd be very surprised to see her again.
                            Yeah, it has moved in the wrong direction, also just my opinion. And I'd be very surprised if there was more than one movie...

you mean like a prequel? with the s1, s2 or s3 cast?
                            Plenty of stories that can take place anywhere in time. If fanfic-writers can do it, then so can TPTW if they really want to but as I said I think I prefer them not to, at least not this set.

they're still TBTB, even after the season finale
                            Very unfortunate.

Comment

I hesitate to bring another show into the discussion, but I think a movie along the lines of BSG's Razor would be fantastic. For those who don't know, this movie was released just before the 4th season but "filled in the blanks" of the 2nd season. Doesn't have to be a clip show, doesn't need a reset button... but we get to put the band back together for one last romp, you know what I'm sayin?

Obviously it'll never happen but still, it's a nice thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Kezia View Post
                                I hesitate to bring another show into the discussion, but I think a movie along the lines of BSG's Razor would be fantastic. For those who don't know, this movie was released just before the 4th season but "filled in the blanks" of the 2nd season. Doesn't have to be a clip show, doesn't need a reset button... but we get to put the band back together for one last romp, you know what I'm sayin?

Obviously it'll never happen but still, it's a nice thought.
                                Well, I still have to see this but that's a good idea. It's like a tag to a season or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X