Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate Atlantis canceled, "We told you so!" or freak coincidence?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

» Okay, but why will it be cheaper?

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
      » Okay, but why will it be cheaper?
      Because it costs lets to get new actors instead of paying the existing ones and I read somewhere that every year a show like SG-1 or Atlantis goes on, the actors have to be paid more and more.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
        Because it costs lets to get new actors instead of paying the existing ones and I read somewhere that every year a show like SG-1 or Atlantis goes on, the actors have to be paid more and more.

Vala,
        Indeed. It's one of the problems with the entertainment industry today. It is expected by the unions that actors should be payed more and more every season, rather than payed according to their shows performance. That means that even though Season 10 of SG-1's ratings were lower than Season 8s, Amanda Tapping, Chris Judge and Michael Shanks were all payed as if the show was garnering higher ratings and thus higher advertising revenue.

HOWEVER things were a little different with Atlantis, whose ratings were up, thus Joe's, David's and Rachel's pay raise wouldn't be all that big of a hit to the pocket books. From the look of things, Atlantis had a 90% chance of getting a season 6. However, that was still a 1 in 10 chance of being cancelled. And someone, somewhere, rolled a natural one

If you're wondering how time travel works, and other science facts
        Then repeat to yourself 'It's just a kickass show, I should really just relax'

Muh Arts-like Thingies

Comment

I don't know about 90%, but I was optimistic about two weeks ago, than I was when Season 4 was rolling along.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
            dude, you don't want to mess with the fans now who are upset. Just some friendly advice.
            You mean like everyone messed with the Beckett and Weir fans when those character were axed?

It's a two way street, Brian. People can't treat Beckett and Weir fans like crap and then expect sympathy when they're all "upset".

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post
              You mean like everyone messed with the Beckett and Weir fans when those character were axed?

It's a two way street, Brian. People can't treat Beckett and Weir fans like crap and then expect sympathy when they're all "upset".
              Well it's interesting, because I am a Beckett and Weir fan. I just chose to continue watching the show and still enjoy it. I wish we still had Weir, I'd prefer Weir, but what can we do? This bickering needs to stop, because you are upset, I'm upset, and it is going nowhere. It will not bring the show back or Weir back onto the show no matter how much we attack eachother.
              sigpic

Comment

Guessing there must have been some buzz on this a while back. A thread did a little peep at a possible Atlantis cancellation. Started in fun but now, kind of poignant.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=50836: If Atlantis was cancelled.

Just sayin', guess we'll know what's planned soon enough.
                MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                sigpic
                Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Eh we had people saying that they wouldn't be suprised if Atlantis were cancelled at 5 seasons back when SG-1 was cut down in it's prime. May they both rest in peace and SciFi burn in hell!

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa View Post

Well it's interesting, because I am a Beckett and Weir fan. I just chose to continue watching the show and still enjoy it. I wish we still had Weir, I'd prefer Weir, but what can we do? This bickering needs to stop, because you are upset, I'm upset, and it is going nowhere. It will not bring the show back or Weir back onto the show no matter how much we attack eachother.
                    *eyes widen as Darth Alyssa Force Chokes Admiral Braingate*

*Grand Moff Ncc-72452 gets to feet*

Enough! Darth Alyssa, release him! This bickering is pointless! Darth Alyssa will provide the location of the MGM/SCIFI fortress before this battle station is operational. We will then crush the MGM/SCIFI Rebellion with one swift stroke!

*smiles in satisfaction at the brilliance of his plan*

Comment

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
                      *eyes widen as Darth Alyssa Force Chokes Admiral Braingate*

*Grand Moff Ncc-72452 gets to feet*

Enough! Darth Alyssa, release him! This bickering is pointless! Darth Alyssa will provide the location of the MGM/SCIFI fortress before this battle station is operational. We will then crush the MGM/SCIFI Rebellion with one swift stroke!

*smiles in satisfaction at the brilliance of his plan*
                      LOL ,that is really hilarious.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                        SciFi chose to end the series because MGM wanted more money than they were able to put forth. The fault is of MGM, not SciFi Channel.
                        I myself blame both mgm and sci-fi
                        mgm for wanting more money and sci-fi for the lack of courage.
                        I mean 120 countries it plays in and they want more money mgm you suck
                        sci-fi why dont you guys grow a pair !

Comment

» To be honest, I think most of us 'Anti' folk are being very generous in allowing the pro fans to mourn, which we were pretty much denied when Carson and Liz were cut.

Comment

Direction and story has nothing to do with a renewal decision unless the producers want to end it at a certain Season[/B]
                            Joe M and Paul the show runners who where in charge of the writing and story direction had NO say whatsoever in whether Atlantis got a 6th season (Joe even says this on his blog) The decision is ultimately up to Brad Wright.

And are you saying no matter how bad the direction and story is you will continue to watch just because its "Stargate" ???

Comment

Originally posted by SgaIsBad View Post
                              Joe M and Paul the show runners who where in charge of the writing and story direction had NO say whatsoever in whether Atlantis got a 6th season (Joe even says this on his blog) The decision is ultimately up to Brad Wright.

And are you saying no matter how bad the direction and story is you will continue to watch just because its "Stargate" ???
                              The opinions of one internet forum is a fraction of the total viewers out there. So who knows what others think. Look at what's on TV and to you and I it is garbage yet it is pulling in excellent ratings.
                              sigpic

Comment

I would have to label this as an "I told you so."

Frankly, when they offed Weir and Beckett within 5 episodes of each other, my mind went back to the days of SeaQuest. That show could not hold onto its cast, and it went under soon after their leader left. I'll be the first to admit that the two shows could have suffered from different problems, but in my mind, it's never good when a show keeps changing its cast. It's like flying a B-17 with three out of four engines smoking, in my opinion.

Even BSG, infamous for killing people, has yet to off a single member of their "primary" cast (by this, I mean the folks listed in the opening credits) without bringing them back.

When they went from Weir, to Carter, to Woolsey, my mind went, "uh oh." I think it's a lot to expect of an audience to just accept such major cast changes year after year, especially when your cast only numbers six. In shows like "Lost," they have double the cast, and I feel deaths and losses have less impact to the overall structure of the show.

Plus, whenever you introduce new characters, you risk dividing your fan base. There will always be those that like the new characters better than the old and those who like the old characters better than the new. They will then proceed to batter the other fans until it is acknowledged by all that their character was better. No matter who is right, the only thing truly accomplished is division, which cannot be good for the longevity of the show.

Was Atlantis canceled because of these changes or in spite of them? Who can say? I can only say that I feel that these cast changes were symptoms that the show was in danger of cancellation.

Comment

Working...
                                X