Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See, this is what I just simply can't understand about the cancellation. A network NEEDS a flagship show, something that's ran for years already, and already has an established fanbase. With BSG and both SGs gone, Sci Fi essentially has nothing left to keep in the viewers. Universe might be a hit or miss, but even if it's good, it can't be a flagship show, it just doesn't have the tenure of BSG, SGA or SG-1, at least not yet. Until SGU actually airs, Sci-Fi will have no flagship show, nothing to convince people to PAY money to watch their channel, and honest to god, as a cable network, they sorely need that.

At the very least run Atlantis until Universe gets on its feet, because if Universe fails, then they're dead in the water. They'll have nothing.
    These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

You know that's the universe known for thousands of years so it can't all be changed in 10 years.
      : Darrell, Darrell The Dragon
      : How About Smokey?
      : Perhaps Puff

Comment

I knowit is nt over yet but I thought I should say goodbye now. SG-1 and the SGA team were my heroes, I kept watching to see what new and exciting event would unfold. It just won't be the same without them. We know boycotting won't work, I'm sorry but I just know it won't. So here it is: Goodbye Stargate. Those of you who are reading don't flame or make fun of me.
        I hope you'll give SGU a chance. You seem like a fan of the franchise, rather than one show or the other. Since they will only be doing one show, rather than trying to divide their resources between two, I think we can expect some very high quality entertainment. You may find that you like it just as much as you liked the other two.

Comment

What I'm really pissed off at, is that they're not going to give Atlantis one final season to ties up the stories. Sure they've got movies, but it's still just 1 story per movie, at a rate of 1 movie a year, at BEST.

A whole season, 20 episodes, will allow them to tie up everything, and let the series end on its own term. How hard is that to do?

Also, in response to the post above me. I read Joe's blog, and I have to respectfully disagree with him and Brad Wright. The TPTB of Stargate have just gotten used to taking it from Scifi. Despite all the crap Scifi has thrown at them, they repeatedly come back to the network, only to be beaten again mercilessly by those idiots.

At least Ron Moore had the guts to just basically come out and say "**** it, and **** you[Scifi]. I'm ending Galactica on my own terms."

Sadly, Stargate will never be able to go anywhere so long as it stays on SciFi.
          These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

I agree with every word
            : Darrell, Darrell The Dragon
            : How About Smokey?
            : Perhaps Puff

Comment

Not disagreeing with your right to discuss this, and I think that making a thread for it was a very good idea, but I have to ask. Does it really matter? And I don't mean to say that people's feelings about the cancellation don't matter. That's not what I'm getting at, at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                What I'm really pissed off at, is that they're not going to give Atlantis one final season to ties up the stories. Sure they've got movies, but it's still just 1 story per movie, at a rate of 1 movie a year, at BEST.

A whole season, 20 episodes, will allow them to tie up everything, and let the series end on its own term. How hard is that to do?

Also, in response to the post above me. I read Joe's blog, and I have to respectfully disagree with him and Brad Wright. The TPTB of Stargate have just gotten used to taking it from Scifi. Despite all the crap Scifi has thrown at them, they repeatedly come back to the network, only to be beaten again mercilessly by those idiots.

At least Ron Moore had the guts to just basically come out and say "**** it, and **** you[Scifi]. I'm ending Galactica on my own terms."

Sadly, Stargate will never be able to go anywhere so long as it stays on SciFi.
                I respectfully disagree with you. Have you listened to Brad Wright's interview?

Comment

Great posts! I've never found a threat that I agree with every single post! GREEN for all.

I have no more reason to watch scifi either, except for reruns, I don't have all the DVD sets unfortunatley, but when I do, it will be a different story!

I'm actually surprised that they DIDN'T rename themselves to SurgeTV as it was rumored that they were going to do it on Nov. 1, 2006. Did anyone else hear about that?

And don't forget, the 7 MONTH break between season 10 SG-1 and season 3 Atlantis's second halves.

Vala,

Comment

I think it does. Knowing a source means we know who to send stuff to (for trying to bring the series back; or more likely, to show our support).

Comment

Even though I don't get the Sci-fi channel, I watch SGA on Movie Central I can understand how everyone here feels. SCI-FI seem to shoot them selves in the foot every time they cancel a show. These cancellations also effect other viewers around the world

So, thumbs down Sci fi channel

LS

Comment

Okay, valid point. I was just wondering...

Comment

It seems the final answer is...

It was a mutual agreement. There could of been another season but they felt this was the best way to preserve the franchise.
                          sigpic

Comment

The fact that Scifi are getting an Atlantis movie would suggest to me that MGM could be the one responsible. I can not see why MGM would allow Scifi any movies when A: they've not gotten the SG1 movies, and B: they can fund the movies themselves and reap all the benefits.

The fact they've given Scifi the first Atlantis movie (which will probably be paid for by both) to me seems that MGM cancelled it and Scifi went along with it but made sure they had something to make up for it.

Maybe it's just me, but perhaps MGM though that SGA was going the way of SG1. The old enemies are essentially gone, and now they are bringing in some new uber-race to replace them. Didn't work well with SG1, maybe they thought it wouldn't work well with Atlantis.

sigpic

Comment

I agree with everyone here! We have given so much to the stargate franchise and to scifi and now they take off one of the best shows that they had. What are they going to replace it with: Scaretactics? Yea right; that show's a hit. When Battlestar Galactica and Stargate end their run on scifi, so do I!

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                                The fact that Scifi are getting an Atlantis movie would suggest to me that MGM could be the one responsible. I can not see why MGM would allow Scifi any movies when A: they've not gotten the SG1 movies, and B: they can fund the movies themselves and reap all the benefits.

The fact they've given Scifi the first Atlantis movie (which will probably be paid for by both) to me seems that MGM cancelled it and Scifi went along with it but made sure they had something to make up for it.

Maybe it's just me, but perhaps MGM though that SGA was going the way of SG1. The old enemies are essentially gone, and now they are bringing in some new uber-race to replace them. Didn't work well with SG1, maybe they thought it wouldn't work well with Atlantis.

I just don't think people should point fingers anymore. I just did not want to see the network attacked like it was for SG-1. This network ran 10 seasons of Stargate and will most likely run SGU. So people can curse the network all they want, because if it was not for the network these shows would not even see the light of day.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X