This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
    well, there will one movie (possibly more later, but it'S unclear) and a Prequel called Caprica
    O.k. I really have to know now, I want to start watching BSG and compare them myself. I have tried to watch it but can't ever get into it. I don't know the backstory I guess, and I think there was a movie or something, I don't know if it was a one off or part of the overall story. Can someone give me an order of how I should watch it(Not counting the 80's version I hope). Be specific too please because I dont know anything about it.
    You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Originally posted by ablevins425 View Post
      O.k. I really have to know now, I want to start watching BSG and compare them myself. I have tried to watch it but can't ever get into it. I don't know the backstory I guess, and I think there was a movie or something, I don't know if it was a one off or part of the overall story. Can someone give me an order of how I should watch it(Not counting the 80's version I hope). Be specific too please because I dont know anything about it.
      Really, all that needs to be watched is the pilot and the episodes in the order they are presented on the show. Nothing else is needed.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

I like both series. Both series are on the same channel so no conflicts in viewing

Watch the one you like or both

Comment

Right. First of all ignore completely the original sereis cos that has nothing to do with this one.

Start off with the Mini series. You can by that on DVD which is edited into one big movie now. That starts it off and sets the scene. Then you go through seasons one, two and three. After three there's the movie 'razor' which apparently is the beginning of season 4 but personally it doesn't have much today with the storyline at that time. But it is a good movie so you can either watch it between seasons 3 and 4. Or watch 4 and go back to it.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
            Really, all that needs to be watched is the pilot and the episodes in the order they are presented on the show. Nothing else is needed.
            Thats where some of the problems lye. I watched the pilot and just couldn't stay interested. I didn't watch much more if any. I guess I just couldn't grasp the story or it just doesn't have my attention.

Comment

Thats where some of the problems lye. I watched the pilot and just couldn't stay interested. I didn't watch much more if any. I guess I just couldn't grasp the story or it just doesn't have my attention.
              You sure it was the pilot you watched and not the first episode of season one called '33'?

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                You sure it was the pilot you watched and not the first episode of season one called '33'?
                I am pretty sure cause didn't it air with the season premiere of Atlantis season 2 I think.

Comment

I am pretty sure cause didn't it air with the season premiere of Atlantis season 2 I think.
                  No idea. I only watched it on DVD myself. What do you remember about it?

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                    BSG and Atlantis may both be Sci Fi, but they are two VERY different shows. BSG is dark, the characters are practically always depressed/angry/sad, it's like a soap opera, an 'Eastenders in space' sort of thing. SGA/stargate has some of that occasionaly (Heroes, Reunion, Talion etc...) but overall it is more family-orientated. I find it to be good, enjoyable entertainment yet at the same time it is very interesting, the stories etc... The whole Stargate thing just clicked with me, while BSG took a while to do that.

One thing I don't like about CGI on BSG is it tends to be much of muchness, apart from the occasional 'Exodus' or 'He that believeth in me'. I find battles in SGA on the other hand more unique, each one tends to be different. A bad point about SGA's CGI is they can do something really fantastic, but they also have times when it is pretty damn poor. While I feel BSG is a bit too consistant in the actual battles, they are also consistant in quality, as opposed to Stargate (specifically Atlantis) where some is great but some is poor.

Personally I love both shows, and it hasn't hurt me, I'm better for it.

P.S: I disagree about BSG always being well written and having 'BAMSR' type episodes all the time. There have been episodes which I have found incredibly boring, and the same goes for any show. I actually found going through it with my uncle and only showing him about 6 or 7 episodes a season, the more important/integral ones, was just as good as watching the entire thing. Again, there are episodes I could cut out of SGA or SG-1, but it goes for any show. When BSG is good it's brilliant, when it's bad it is boring and monotonous.
                    Very well put SGFerrit.

While I've got nothing against BSG, it has never caught my attention like SGA has. Like you, some of the BSG episodes have left me falling asleep out of pure boredom. As for great space battles? IMHO, I think SGA has more. And as for the acting, I see no difference. Both shows have a great cast!!

I watch both shows without any problem. Although SGA is my fav of the two.
                    sigpic

Comment

Meh, I gave up on BSG along time ago. It annoys me with:

Its pre-teen desire of everyone to shack up with whoever they want.
                      The stupid shaky camera gimmick in space.
                      The fact that it has to spread out storylines over a plethora of characters to last a year instead of focusing on a core group. This leads me to the next point...
                      That you see a character the main focal point of one episode and you might see them for a brief cameo in the next one.
                      It's dark and gritty, but I believe it crossed a line that it's depressing. Wouldn't of bothered me in the slightest if they all died. Always good to see characters with flaws, but the amount they have.
                      Stupid plot holes. The Xena model one just 'knowing' the baby was alive back in S2 just seemed like a 'oh, we don't have a credible way to let them find it, let's just automatically give them the knowledge in a dream.' Very creative.

I'll get lynched for this, because BSG has such a massive following. I tried my best to get into it, but couldn't. So this is just my view on it and why I struggle to follow it.

Comment

I loved pre-S4 SGA, but imho BSG surpassed it in almost every aspect. Nonetheless both shows were immensely entertaining and kept me watching week in week out.

At present, I'd pick BSG over SGA any day.

Comment

Yeah, BSG's biggest letdown is its lack of actual plot-driving stuff. After Season One, most of the plot was moved forward by visions and pretenses that oftentimes made no sense whatsoever. There was no work the characters really had to do to find the next clue... they just got it.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Yesh... i had the same feeling whilst watching Search and Rescue. I used to be neutral and loved the two equally, but after watching the first half of season 4 of BSG while i was waiting for SGA to return, BSG took over and i now view it as the ultimate in Sci-Fi, so gritty, bleak and so well written. SGA has lost its edge in my opinion, TPTB need to focus more on upping their game. I still plan to watch SGA, but i now view it as light entertainment, not too excited about season 5, apart from the Daedalus Variations, First Contact, and its following ep. BSG on the other hand - im trying to be patient for the last half of the final season, too bad we gotta wait so long, huh?
                            Islanded In A Stream Of Stars...

Cavil - The Artist Formerly Known As Crais

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              it's a fraking war. What do you mean by it's too depresing?
                              Lol, brilliant reply!
                              Islanded In A Stream Of Stars...

Cavil - The Artist Formerly Known As Crais

sigpic

Comment

I was into BSG for a little bit but after awhile it just got boring to me. Certain characters like Kara Thrace are painful to watch because of things they have done in the past. No matter how likable they make her in certain scenes the fact still remains she was part of a friggin DEATH SQUAD. They are inhumane and I sometimes I hope the Cylons do wipe them out.

Oh and speaking of the Cylons, what a VERY original enemy. Robots rebelling against humanity, never heard of that one before.

I find nothing attractive about Battlestar Galactica space battles, even though they are pretty, they still bore the Hell out of me in the end. And the shaky camera thing isn't edgy, it's annoying.

This is just my opinion though, saying one show is better then another kind of annoys me since they are really two different shows. One is a light-hearted escapist thrill fest. Another is a dark show where space is not exciting but bleak. It really depends on what your into.

Comment

Working...
                                X