This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blitzsnake View Post
    So I recently decided to watch BSG. And right now I'm at the beginning of S3. And I can honestly say that Battlestar galactica killed my interest in SGA. BSG has superior actors, way more CGI, better music and above all, great script. The tone in SGA is way off, and the characters are very dull. I mean they're all straight up good guys and the bad guys are always bad. I really loved SGA before BSG but why should I keep watching SGA when I get BAMSR episodes all the time on BSG. The writers of SGA really needs to get their thumb out of their asses and start making some great scripts.
    Oh and I just saw Exodus part 2 of BSG and it totally beats anything Stargate has ever put out.
    If this is truly how you feel than I have only one qustion. Why is this BSG's final season?
    You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Originally posted by ablevins425 View Post
      If this is truly how you feel than I have only one qustion. Why is this BSG's final season?
      it is RDM's decision.
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

BSG and Atlantis may both be Sci Fi, but they are two VERY different shows. BSG is dark, the characters are practically always depressed/angry/sad, it's like a soap opera, an 'Eastenders in space' sort of thing. SGA/stargate has some of that occasionaly (Heroes, Reunion, Talion etc...) but overall it is more family-orientated. I find it to be good, enjoyable entertainment yet at the same time it is very interesting, the stories etc... The whole Stargate thing just clicked with me, while BSG took a while to do that.

One thing I don't like about CGI on BSG is it tends to be much of muchness, apart from the occasional 'Exodus' or 'He that believeth in me'. I find battles in SGA on the other hand more unique, each one tends to be different. A bad point about SGA's CGI is they can do something really fantastic, but they also have times when it is pretty damn poor. While I feel BSG is a bit too consistant in the actual battles, they are also consistant in quality, as opposed to Stargate (specifically Atlantis) where some is great but some is poor.

Personally I love both shows, and it hasn't hurt me, I'm better for it.

P.S: I disagree about BSG always being well written and having 'BAMSR' type episodes all the time. There have been episodes which I have found incredibly boring, and the same goes for any show. I actually found going through it with my uncle and only showing him about 6 or 7 episodes a season, the more important/integral ones, was just as good as watching the entire thing. Again, there are episodes I could cut out of SGA or SG-1, but it goes for any show. When BSG is good it's brilliant, when it's bad it is boring and monotonous.
        Last edited by SGFerrit; 19 July 2008, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
          it is RDM's decision.
          I don't mean anything by it, I have never watched the show. I have read though that they spend alot more making that show rather than Atlantis, so I thought they were not getting enough bang for there buck.
          You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

I don't mean anything by it, I have never watched the show. I have read though that they spend alot more making that show rather than Atlantis, so I thought they were not getting enough bang for there buck.
            well, there will one movie (possibly more later, but it'S unclear) and a Prequel called Caprica
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Because the show has to end some time. Much better to send off the show in class rather going the "Lost" Direction. They can't keep looking for earth 10 seasons. The show was simply not build to last that long.

Comment

They ended it themselves because SciFi wouldn't guarantee a fifth season.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Stargate is a relatively light, plot driven action adventure show,

mmm. I'm n ot so sure I agree with the bolded part. Babylon 5 was plot driven. Heroes and Lost are plot driven. SG1 in season 8 &9 was plot driven. SGA, in the second half of season 1, was relatively plot driven. But, erm, not quite. Especially not afterwards. I'd accept the action adventure part and would say that the episodes are mostly driven by their own story needs rather than a plot or what's considered character driven.

They ended it themselves because SciFi wouldn't guarantee a fifth season.
                  I thought they ended it themselves because they realised they wouldn't get a fifth season?
                  Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                  Yes, I am!
                  sigpic
                  Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                  Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                  Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by blitzsnake View Post
                    Because the show has to end some time. Much better to send off the show in class rather going the "Lost" Direction. They can't keep looking for earth 10 seasons. The show was simply not build to last that long.
                    Lost? Which has also set an end-date, and didn't flounder nearly as badly as Galactica did when they had to pad it out?

Comment

Personally, I can't watch BSG - it's godawful DEPRESSING!!!!

I wanted to watch it - wanted to LIKE it - seeing as how I'm a fan of Jamie Bamber (Apollo). But three episodes in, I found it to be too dark, depressing, intense and 'angry'. I can take something like that in a two-hour big screen movie, but not week after week. For me, such intensity fails to entertain, but instead it starts to make me irritable and anxious. I don't like being around people who are always yelling and arguing and downright miserable, and so can't take 'associating' with those same types via a tv show.

But like I said, that's me. My husband loves the show, but I can't even be in the room when it's on because just the music and voices put me in a black mood. On the other hand, I find SGA to be quite entertaining, mixing drama, action, humor, and character development pretty evenly, so that even the most intense episodes don't drag me down.

Bottom line is that people like different things. What works for one person may not work for another, and visa versa. I'm glad there is variety out there, and very glad that SGA is out there because it gives me just the sort of sci fi fix I enjoy.

das
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                        Personally, I can't watch BSG - it's godawful DEPRESSING!!!!

I wanted to watch it - wanted to LIKE it - seeing as how I'm a fan of Jamie Bamber (Apollo). But three episodes in, I found it to be too dark, depressing, intense and 'angry'. I can take something like that in a two-hour big screen movie, but not week after week. For me, such intensity fails to entertain, but instead it starts to make me irritable and anxious. I don't like being around people who are always yelling and arguing and downright miserable, and so can't take 'associating' with those same types via a tv show.

But like I said, that's me. My husband loves the show, but I can't even be in the room when it's on because just the music and voices put me in a black mood. On the other hand, I find SGA to be quite entertaining, mixing drama, action, humor, and character development pretty evenly, so that even the most intense episodes don't drag me down.

Bottom line is that people like different things. What works for one person may not work for another, and visa versa. I'm glad there is variety out there, and very glad that SGA is out there because it gives me just the sort of sci fi fix I enjoy.

das
                        it's a fraking war. What do you mean by it's too depresing?
                        Last edited by g.o.d; 19 July 2008, 06:36 AM.
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

BSG has set my bar for current SF TV. I also compared SGA and BSG when they aired back to back and I thought BSG almost always outperformed SGA (similar to some of the Dr. Who eps now - last night's eppy blew SGA's ep out of the water imo). I found the characters better developed and the plots more interesting, complex, and unpredictable. Don't get me wrong, BSG has its poor eps and storylines. But when it's on it's one of the best shows on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                            BSG has set my bar for current SF TV. I also compared SGA and BSG when they aired back to back and I thought BSG almost always outperformed SGA (similar to some of the Dr. Who eps now - last night's eppy blew SGA's ep out of the water imo). I found the characters better developed and the plots more interesting, complex, and unpredictable. Don't get me wrong, BSG has its poor eps and storylines. But when it's on it's one of the best shows on TV.
                            Well Doctor Who is another show I find better than most Stargates. Mainly because for one the Doctor is such a great character (or characters depending on how you want to look at it) but also because the storylines are always much more original. it doesn't tend to conform to traditional sci-fi science simply because it follows the idea that humans don't know anything about the universe around them. It's extremely refreshing, unlike Stargate, Star Trek and many other Sci-fi shows that stick to just what we know or think we may know about the cosmos.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

it's a fraking war. What do you by it's too depresing?
                              There was a war on in the last few seasons of Deep Space Nine, too, but they still managed to get humour into it. Which actually makes BSG's overwhelming bleakness a little bizarre, considering that several of its writers worked on DS9.

Comment

it's a fraking war. What do you by it's too depresing?
                                But that's the point. In real life there IS a 'fraking war' going on. Real people are dying. Where I live the economy sucks. Real life isn't pretty right now - and so I look for a fictional tv show to entertain me, not remind me of real life. I don't watch any night-time dramas for the same reason - they are full of nasty people with way too much 'drama' in their lives, and if I can't deal with those types of people in real life, I sure don't want to be 'entertained' by them in the fictional realm.

Therefore, I only watch SGA (sheer, and oft times amusing, entertainment), and NCIS (similar), and rugby. Lots and lots of rugby. Like...right now...Kavaliers v Blue Bulls...Live...straight from South Africa.

Everyone looks for something different. I watch tv to escape reality, not to be reminded of it. Too many shows now aim for cutting edge realism, and it's just too much for me. Realism sucks, that's the whole reason I got into sci fi in the first place - it used to be inspiring and uplifting and fun. Dr. Who - that's fun. SGA - that's fun. Original Star Wars trilogy - that's fun. Star Trek (all) - that's fun. But BSG just doesn't quite meet that mark. Is it a GOOD show? Sure. I understand why people love it - it's meaty and intense and well-told. But it's just not what I'm looking for in a sci fi show.

das
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X