This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
    I get it. She's strong...(insert heavy sarcasm here) "Oh, look, Sheppard was taken out by a girl. Doesn't that show how wonderful we women are, and that we can do anything a man can do, only better?"....
    Pffft. Gimme fight scenes, I don't care who or how. Besides, John beat her a*s in Conversion.
    Too much is being read into this delightful action-adventure series. I just sit back & enjoy.

Contented Chrisisall
    Late to the Gate

Comment

I get that Teyla is a great fighter, but I don't think we need to see it by her constantly beating up John in sparring matches. I get it. She's strong...(insert heavy sarcasm here) "Oh, look, Sheppard was taken out by a girl. Doesn't that show how wonderful we women are, and that we can do anything a man can do, only better?"....
      Actually, Teyla and John have only sparred in two episodes in my recollection. Once in Hot Zone, and then in Conversion. It seems like there may have been another time in S1, but I can't remember the episode. We've seen Teyla and Ronon sparring, and Ronon and John sparring, but John and Teyla haven't sparred on-screen since Conversion.
      - Life after Stargate -
      Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
      Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisall View Post
        Pffft. Gimme fight scenes, I don't care who or how. Besides, John beat her a*s in Conversion.
        Too much is being read into this delightful action-adventure series. I just sit back & enjoy.

Contented Chrisisall
        I LOVED that in Conversion!!!

Comment

I LOVED that in Conversion!!!
          I liked when he kissed her... kept hoping they'd explore that a little further...

Coolisall
          Late to the Gate

Comment

That kiss disturbed me (and it seemed it did Teyla also), as it was basically forced upon her without consent. But I guess it was discussed quite a bit when the ep aired and people just disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              Not so much with Ronon as he's built like a brick **** house, but Teyla kicking his arse all the time has me rolling my eyes a bit, I mean she's like 5' 4" or something!
              My mum always said
              "good things come in small packages"
              i'd kill to be 5'4" i'm only '5"and a bit

maybe less Shep ass kickin would be a good thing, i don't know
              sigpic
              Class of 2004-2009!!

Comment

Crichiel, I get what you're saying. I guess I just look at it a different way. It never occurred to me that they were trying to show Teyla is cool by having her beat Shepperd. (Am I spelling that right? I never can remember...) Anyway, I guess I think of it more as both a social aspect for them, and also a bit of humility for "Kirk". I never read that much into it. But I do see what you are saying.

Cheers!
                Em
                Emerald
                ~ Ninja Squirrel ~ Attack Squirrel ~
                I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisisall View Post

Contented Chrisisall
                  ... because he was undergoing a transformation into an alien...

... and why are we even HERE on a MESSAGE BOARD if we're not going to read more into a "delightful action-adventure series" than "hey, that was cool?"
                  Theoretically spoilerish:
                  Spoiler:
                  Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

I get that Teyla is a great fighter, but I don't think we need to see it by her constantly beating up John in sparring matches. I get it. She's strong...(insert heavy sarcasm here) "Oh, look, Sheppard was taken out by a girl. Doesn't that show how wonderful we women are, and that we can do anything a man can do, only better?"....
                    This says everything right here.
                    Spoiler:
                    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

There is nothing unbelivable about a medium-height (for a woman, anyway), well-built warrior from a tribe of people who only have sticks and fists as weapons beating up a modern day soldier. Teyla has been doing this all her life, training and fighting this way, because it is the only form of defense her people have; they have no guns, stunners, or even muskets, so this is the best they can do.

Sheppard was given basic self-defense in the military, but that's never going to equate to someone (regardless of height) who has been rigorously training in martial arts all her life. The point is, she's going to be able to take down people with less experience than she, and the only real test for her would be a Runner like Ronon or a Jaffa like Teal'c.
                      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        There is nothing unbelivable about a medium-height (for a woman, anyway), well-built warrior from a tribe of people who only have sticks and fists as weapons beating up a modern day soldier. Teyla has been doing this all her life, training and fighting this way, because it is the only form of defense her people have; they have no guns, stunners, or even muskets, so this is the best they can do.

Sheppard was given basic self-defense in the military, but that's never going to equate to someone (regardless of height) who has been rigorously training in martial arts all her life. The point is, she's going to be able to take down people with less experience than she, and the only real test for her would be a Runner like Ronon or a Jaffa like Teal'c.
                        Something tells me Sheppard has gotten way more than "basic self-defense training," though.
                        Spoiler:
                        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Teyla and Ronan grew up learning these skills since they live in the Pegasus galaxy with the Wraith as a constant threat. Years of practice would make them very good. I doubt Sheppard had as much training in the martial arts. sheppard may have gotten more training then some military soldier but not having the constant threat of death all his life would make a difference.
                          "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                          'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                          Individuality is freedom lived.
                          'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post

... and why are we even HERE on a MESSAGE BOARD if we're not going to read more into a "delightful action-adventure series" than "hey, that was cool?"
                            Touche'

isall
                            Late to the Gate

Comment

Just because someone pilots an aircraft that is dropping special ops teams into a location on a secret mission, does NOT mean that the pilot themselves is special ops. I know a handful of pilots who have dropped flown these sort of missions, and they are in no way Special Ops, they're just regular pilots flying secret missions.

A pilot is a pilot. That's all, regardless of their minimilistic escape and evasion training.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                                Just because someone pilots an aircraft that is dropping special ops teams into a location on a secret mission, does NOT mean that the pilot themselves is special ops. I know a handful of pilots who have dropped flown these sort of missions, and they are in no way Special Ops, they're just regular pilots flying secret missions.

A pilot is a pilot. That's all, regardless of their minimilistic escape and evasion training.
                                Jack was a pilot too. And he WAS Special Ops. However it may operate in the "real world," the reality in the Stargate universe clearly doesn't have restrictions of that nature.
                                Spoiler:
                                Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Working...
                                X