This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A theory on why the Atlantis stargates are different

Well, they are digital, just like digital clocks. Now regular clocks have hands, and have the symbols all round the clock -- however, the digital ones don't, they just show you the symbol. Similar to that rough analogy, what if the reason the PG gates don't have nine chevrons is, the ancients decided it was needed to show on the gate any more. What if the function was hardly used. But it could still happen -- if you use the ninth chevron, then the gate chevron color changes from blue to red, or some other color -- showing that the ninth chevron is locked.

Maybe?

There gotta be some reason they are different beyond aesthetics. Some factor must make them superior to the mark1 gates in the milkyway or they wouldnt exist. The analogy of watches is a pretty good one. Theyre slimmer more attractive, but they also break easier. mrk1s can be physically dialed mrk2s cant. Weve seen mrk1s survive massive nuclear explosions and breif exposure to suns whereas mrk2s can be taken out by a couple shots from an asuran ship.

Wonder what the story there is?

Comment

Mk1's are made of plastic, mk2's of rubber

Comment

I could kick you for the last half of the post your right it doesn't spin. so they put the last to two chevrons on the bottom just like the earth gate. but on atlantis those two chevrons would be in the floor and those chevrons would be hid just like all the gates that are in stone though both galaxies. how else would they dial earth

Comment

The primary reason the Milky Way gates look different than the Pegasus gates is due to what they are made of. The gates in the Milky Way are made of naquidah (spelling??) as that mineral is in abundance in this galaxy, and it is (as far as we know) not present in Pegasus. Another reason for the difference in the gates is the fact that the Ancients didnt have anywhere near the same ability to produce and manufacture things in this galaxy as they did in Pegasus (we dont see any Atlantis-type cities or warships sitting around do we?).

The topic of the gates looking different is a very good one indeed, and hopefully in the (near) future we will find out the complete reason for it, I think it may make for a neat episode. And if any writers are reading this stuff, ive got an idea many fans may like: give us a gouald possessed wraith episode! lol

Comment

Reality check, PG 'Gates have 9 chevrons, replicator ship one was just a different model just because.
            When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
            Zatnikitelman

Comment

Somewhat off topic, but would anyone else agree that the Pegasus gates more clearly resemble the Tollan/Nox Stargate as opposed to the MW stargates?

But I would personally vote that the gates are different because naquadah is less abundant in Pegasus.

Comment

I know the Antarctic gate is said to be the oldest gate so far, but wasn't that before the Atlantis expedition? And is it possible that Pegasus had at least a small Lantean contingent before Atlantis arrived?

My point is, could the Pegasus gates be older than the Milky Way gates? In a few ways this seems to make sense. Imagine: the Lanteans are admiring their snazzy, sleek, brand new pan-galactic faster-than-light pedestrian transport system with its stylish, minimalist digital glyph displays and total lack of visible moving parts...when the DHD gets blown up, buried, lost, or the gate itself is totalled. Bugger.

So, after the twenty-seventh time this happens, Stargate v2.0 is designed, just in time for the Milky Way network's construction. Relatively low-tech, manual back-ups, always visible engraved glyphs, way more obvious chevrons, and probably some kind of shield or at least ultra tough casing to protect it. While the MW gates seem to be more primitive, and they are, they're also probably the more modern version.

Also, there's the slightly more flawed addition to this theory that if you're going to test your expensive new gate network on a galactic scale...you might want to pick a small galaxy to try it on first, which Pegasus is compared to the Milky Way.
                And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                sigpic
                Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

What episode was the Tollan Stargate in?
                  why does McKay pronounce it Day-ta and not Data?
                  Or why loootenant and not lieutenant?

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                    Well, they are digital, just like digital clocks. Now regular clocks have hands, and have the symbols all round the clock -- however, the digital ones don't, they just show you the symbol. Similar to that rough analogy, what if the reason the PG gates don't have nine chevrons is, the ancients decided it was needed to show on the gate any more. What if the function was hardly used. But it could still happen -- if you use the ninth chevron, then the gate chevron color changes from blue to red, or some other color -- showing that the ninth chevron is locked.

Maybe?
                    Pegasus gates do have 9 chevrons, it's just that sometimes the CG is screwed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                      I know the Antarctic gate is said to be the oldest gate so far, but wasn't that before the Atlantis expedition? And is it possible that Pegasus had at least a small Lantean contingent before Atlantis arrived?

My point is, could the Pegasus gates be older than the Milky Way gates? In a few ways this seems to make sense. Imagine: the Lanteans are admiring their snazzy, sleek, brand new pan-galactic faster-than-light pedestrian transport system with its stylish, minimalist digital glyph displays and total lack of visible moving parts...when the DHD gets blown up, buried, lost, or the gate itself is totalled. Bugger.

So, after the twenty-seventh time this happens, Stargate v2.0 is designed, just in time for the Milky Way network's construction. Relatively low-tech, manual back-ups, always visible engraved glyphs, way more obvious chevrons, and probably some kind of shield or at least ultra tough casing to protect it. While the MW gates seem to be more primitive, and they are, they're also probably the more modern version.

Also, there's the slightly more flawed addition to this theory that if you're going to test your expensive new gate network on a galactic scale...you might want to pick a small galaxy to try it on first, which Pegasus is compared to the Milky Way.
                      i don't think so because 50 million years ago the ancient were on earth and only 5-10 million years ago they went to pegasus
                      - Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
                      - When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
                      - Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
                      - Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Comment

There is the possibility that the Pegasus gates were Mark I (as were Milky Way galaxy gates at the time the Pegasus Galaxy was originally colonised). After the Ancients gave up on Pegasus and returned to the good ol' Milky Way, they did a bit of a makeover on the Milky Way gates. Thus the whole Milky Way network has had a bit of a do-up. Pegasus is still stuck with Gates 1.0.

More likely, of course, that the SGA series art director wanted a different look and feel (after eight years with the old-style designs), and wasn't bothered by minor details like inter-series continuity ...

Comment

Originally posted by Leous View Post
                          I could kick you for the last half of the post your right it doesn't spin. so they put the last to two chevrons on the bottom just like the earth gate. but on atlantis those two chevrons would be in the floor and those chevrons would be hid just like all the gates that are in stone though both galaxies. how else would they dial earth

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                          Reality check, PG 'Gates have 9 chevrons, replicator ship one was just a different model just because.

The pic I provided is the only pic I can find, but others on this forum has found pictures of space gates...and they don't have nine. I always thought it was just covered, but we really don't know if the space gates are different or not...

And on if the SGA gates are older, maybe, but if any changes were made it was with the software, not with the hardware..I mean the gates just look older in MW galaxy, but it just be me.

And, like someone said, it could be CG guys just mess up some times, which explains why sometimes they have 8, and sometimes they have 9.
                          http://artzthings.com/e-pins/images/large/a-sg10.jpg

Comment

one thing the writers wanted to set aside a totoally new show of sg-1 so new galaxt new gates, new enemies

that and the ancients figured out that running from the plaugue in the MW seemed to slow to dial and therefore killed them so a fastergate would...

haha
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X