Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Stargate: Atlantis is cooler than Battlestar Galactica...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
    Agree with you about House, L&O SVU, and Firefly(!). I have to catch up with the last part of S1 of Heroes to watch this season!

S4 spoiler for upcoming ep:
    Spoiler:
    I checked Mitch's IMDB page, to see where he's been. According to the S3 commentaries, he got too busy working on some other show to be in later S3 eps. Anyway, it looks like Caldwell will be in Be All My Sins Remember'd.
    Thanks for the Season 4 spoiler ! I'm happy again.

Comment

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
      Man, as I watch this season, I find that Stargate Atlantis to be just as crappy as Season 10 of SG1.

I watched all of Season 1, 2, 3 of BSG, and find myself enjoying every episode. Not one episode made me lose attention from the episode. Plot lines are fluid and theres no plot holes in the storylines.

What about Stargate series?
      - Plot holes
      - No fluditiy between episodes
      - Storyline blows

Even the good storylines like "The Travellers" could have been done much better.

What about Adrift and Lifeline? Good ops episodes, but could have used more action and plot.

It seems to be the same stuff over and over again.

1) Bad problem
      2) We're screwed
      3) Op mission, or fight
      4) Get objective completed
      5) Friend or someone gets left behind, or something screws up a bit
      6) The end, problem solved.

I love Stargate. I watched Stargate since Season 2 of SG1, and Season 1 of SGA.

But this is just putrid.

If I had the power, I would definitely give up both stargate series (if SG1 was still airing) for Battlestar Galactica.

I am just vexxed that SGA continues to go, and BSG is gone by 2009.
      Well obviously, if you think SGA should be cancelled and BSG renewed... everyone should listen to you because you are god. You're opinion is law and anyone who ignores should be shot out of a canon into the sun.

and o ye... BSG is crap
      Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

For frak's sake, you're all acting like a group of immature kids.

Or are you?

Either way, stop calling each other's favourite shows - the guy who started the thread came up with some points, so either discuss it like adults or go and take your spam elsewhere. He prefers BSG over stargate - so do I.

What's the big frakkin' problem?
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

A couple of points

1. You really cant state the drop in the ratings for Doppleganger to be indicative of anything. That episode was inadvertantly leaked on iTunes and so many obtained it early. According to a recent blog entry by Joe Mallozzi, the ratings have bounced back with Travellers showing it was the iTunes slip that did it, not it being bad

2. I would like a list of these supposed plot holes that are cropping up. I have seen very few plot holes in Stargate over its last 11 years and Season 4 of Atlantis is no exception so please enlighten

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
            Here's a better one. Give Stargate Universe a good name instead.
            Stargate Universe is just a working title, there's no reason to suggest it will be the final title. Remember "Rise of the Googlions"?
            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
              $36.99 for each season is an arm and a leg? That's about what I pay per week for coffee alone. (Though I will admitt, it's not normal coffee, it's capuccino)
              Not when your tuition is nearly $7,000/yr + $6,500/yr (Residence / Food).

Oh, and did I say that I live in Canada, and when the CND Dollar was much lower than the US Dollar, I paid nearly $59.99 for new releases. Any of the recent older DVDs would cost me $65
              Subspace Energy Technology Thread
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...68#post8685268

Comment

Not when your tuition is nearly $7,000/yr + $6,500/yr (Residence / Food).

Oh, and did I say that I live in Canada, and when the CND Dollar was much lower than the US Dollar, I paid nearly $59.99 for new releases. Any of the recent older DVDs would cost me $65
                Hear you on that one- it's absolutely ridiculous how much more we're paying for these sets than those just south of the border.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
                  Truth be told, I can see where McSwift is coming from to a certain degree. From what I've seen of S4 of SGA thus far, it hasn't really gripped me as much as SG-1's S4. Personally, I found 'Adrift' to be pretty boring for a season opener as compared to 'Small Victories', and as a whole, I keep getting this feeling that they seem to be rehashing quite a few plotlines from SG-1 every so often. Frankly, the last episode that I genuinely enjoyed was 'Common Ground', and I absolutely hated what they did with Michael's character.

That being said, I still enjoy SGA as a whole, just not as much as SG-1, but it's definitely better than a majority of sci-fi shows. Oh yeah, and personally, I loved S10 of SG-1 and would go so far as to say that it's easily one of my fave seasons, especially with episodes like 'Flesh and Blood', 'The Pegasus Project', 'Insiders', 'The Quest' (IMO a much better mid-season arc as compared to SGA's 'The Return'), 'Line in the Sand', 'The Shroud', 'Dominion' and of course, 'Undending'. Which is way more episodes that I enjoyed as compared to S3 of SGA (off the top of my head, I only liked 'Sateda', 'Progeny', 'The Real World' and 'Common Ground').

I too am fairly certain that Skiffy will cancel SGA after S5, since I have a nagging suspicion that the only reason they even renewed it for an extra season so early on was just so that it could reach the magical 100th episode mark (similar to what happened with SG-1), which I suspect will be the final episode of SGA since it's the 5th season finale. I'll definitely be sad to see it go if that's the case, although even TPTB themselves have stated on at least one occasion that they've always believed that SGA would never last as long as SG-1.

And as for BSG, I definitely enjoyed the first two seasons, although I didn't really like the episodic approach that they used throughout much of the third season. That being said, I too enjoyed the first 2 seasons slightly more than all of SGA thus far, although SG-1's still better in my book. BSG
                  s S3 finale was most definitely excellent in my book however, and I really can't wait to see how it'll all be resolved in the fourth and final season. And I do understand the creators' decision to end it, as they stated that the series was always meant to have a clear cut beginning, middle and end (kinda like with 'Lost'), and I respect them for it as it shows they aren't trying to milk the cash cow for all it's worth and drag the series on without providing any real answers or payoff. That being said, I too don't believe that there's a need to cancel one series just to allow the other to continue, since MGM's the one which produces SGA whereas Skiffy finances BSG, and they're both great shows in my book.

Just my 2 cents on the matter, bear in mind that everyone's opinions aren't necessarily the same.
                  Wow, I think you just summed up my thoughts nicely. I agree with everything you said 100%
                  Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                  Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                  Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                  --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

You want Galactica 1980? End of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                      Yes, that's exactly why they're doing it...

Atlantis is getting plenty of viewers anyway this year.
                      I suppose you missed the instawin coolness factor of showing that fans love the show and make *cough* "incredible" rap clips as a demonstration of their devotion, and that fever should spread across the world!
                      The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Caldwell's 2IC View Post
                        Thanks for the Season 4 spoiler ! I'm happy again.
                        Spoiler:
                        And the Kindred Parts 1 and 2
                        Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

^ Thank you !!!

Comment

If I had the power, I would definitely give up both stargate series (if SG1 was still airing) for Battlestar Galactica.
                            The new BSG is a sham of a scifi show. It was good, waaaay back during the mini series but should have been canceled after season 1. A small number of critics tipped it to be a great series, but now they have to eat their humble pie and fans can not believe how fast this show jumped the shark. It became a show for rikki lake fans not scifi fans. The disastrous suicide bomber episodes and the quadrangle soap opera of doom made many fans declare they cannot watch this show anymore. Battlestar character continuity got flushed down the toilet and story lines made no sense in this context.

Ratings have been on a downward spiral,
                            here's that pic x302 posted

Eick was always useless, I never liked any of his shows. Ronald D. Moore once had talent as a writer/producer but he got worse as the years rolled on and pulled the same crap in DS9
                            Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
                            They had to fake the ratings
                            They had to fake the ratings.
                            Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

Originally posted by Kick-Kinsey View Post
                              The new BSG is a sham of a scifi show. It was good, waaaay back during the mini series but should have been canceled after season 1. A small number of critics tipped it to be a great series, but now they have to eat their humble pie and fans can not believe how fast this show jumped the shark. It became a show for rikki lake fans not scifi fans. The disastrous suicide bomber episodes and the quadrangle soap opera of doom made many fans declare they cannot watch this show anymore. Battlestar character continuity got flushed down the toilet and story lines made no sense in this context.

Ratings have been on a downward spiral,
                              here's that pic x302 posted

Eick was always useless, I never liked any of his shows. Ronald D. Moore once had talent as a writer/producer but he got worse as the years rolled on and pulled the same crap in DS9
                              Funny, DS9, not only considered to be one of the best Trek seasons, also really reached its peak when Moore was in the party.

As for BSG, they had different plans for the second part of season 3, with notably lots of work around the Sagitarians, but they nixed that. Even certain actors didn't really consider the emphasis on love affairs such a necessary thing, and it did felt a bit too much.

That said, this is probably their only mistakes in s3, and precisely in the second half, and they realized that even slightly attempting to derail from the main arc was simply unwise, for the simple reason that the audience was used to episodes rich in content that forwarded the story as a whole.

As for character continuity, I don't see what's wrong, exactly, especially when characters evolve, and yet they keep the guidelines.
                              It appears rather short sighted.

Besides, people and their graphs... it would be actually good to show sources, otherwise it means nothing.
                              This, of course, applies to both sides.

As for the soap opera remarks, they pretty much existed since day one. They could hardly be used as a symptom of loss of quality.

From the miniseries to the first part of season 3, it flowed greatly. And the way season 3 ended... no, I just cannot see how one can post so much vitriol against that show, especially regarding the competition.
                              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                                None were decent from the moment you consider that SG teams were supposedly under realistic military jurisdiction.

When I see the kind of leeway the civilian characters are given, it's just absurd.

That and the god boring fillers and stretched plots. Plus season 10 has Unending.
                                But season 10 has pegasus project, the bounty, and i liked the quests.

Comment

Working...
                                X