Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why no Zats or Staff Weapons in Atlantis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because the SGC knew it would be a suicide mission, and they only sent people they wanted to get rid of. Why would they send something as useful as a zat when they knew they wouldn't get it back?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

They have used Zats on Atlantis, whenever they go back to Earth. Ala The Return or Midway.

Its strange they didn't let Sam have one in Season 4, since ever since Season 2 of SG-1 she's pretty much carried it has her standard sidearm. (presumably to emphasis her link to the Tok'Ra, for much the same reason as Teal'c carried Jaffa Weapons)
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Mclean View Post
        To give the show it's own feel. Zats are an SG1 weapon.
        This is the real reason.
        In later episodes they introduced the small wraith stunner as the PG version of the Zat.
        Spoiler:

We have also a ancient stunner
        Spoiler:

not very nice, i'm sure that you will agree!

and the asuran stun gun

Spoiler:

the best looking one IMO

sigpic

Comment

because each needs to have 2 main alien wep, the big rifle like wraith stunners, and the squirt gun type

sigpic
          Sig made by squirrely1
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
          *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Becasue characters would go crazy trying to choose between zat guns or wraith stunners
            sigpic

Comment

I've started to alternate my SG1 and SGA viewing and was watching them try and shoot wraith with puny Earth weapons. Once they were able to get things from the Milky Way, why didn't they send some zat guns? Wouldn't they have been better to battle the wraith with?

Comment

Possibly.... Maybe not. Zat guns were not all that powerful, there were plenty of instances where humans got hit with a Zat gun and kept on going.

seeing as Wraith can take full rounds of ammo and keep coming them one would assume they'd do the same...

I'd prefer Ronins gun on both the Wraith and the goa'uld personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonmatel View Post
                  Possibly.... Maybe not. Zat guns were not all that powerful, there were plenty of instances where humans got hit with a Zat gun and kept on going.

seeing as Wraith can take full rounds of ammo and keep coming them one would assume they'd do the same...
                  Haven't seen "Midway"?
                  sigpic
                  "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                  ~David Hewlett

Comment

It wouldn't be as effective as the wraith stunners since we've seen how Zat's kill the second time, which would be a pain if you wanted to capture a wraith with a Zat.

Comment

Even within the SG-1 teams, they don't seem to have too many zats. It's an alien weapon, which means capturing and maintaining them. Easier to stick to your own.

Comment

Originally posted by rkgardner2003 View Post
                        I've started to alternate my SG1 and SGA viewing and was watching them try and shoot wraith with puny Earth weapons. Once they were able to get things from the Milky Way, why didn't they send some zat guns? Wouldn't they have been better to battle the wraith with?
                        This discussion AGAIN? i've seen it come up a half dozen times.

Zats were not in atlantis because they're in short supply. And since wraith, at least early on, were bullet sponges i doubt zats would have any effect anyway.

As you probably noticed, after a while the Atlantis team started to use wraith stunners which makes the need for zats obsolete anyway.

Comment

The out of universe explanation is that they wanted to keep the two shows reasonably distinct to new viewers.

in-universe, it's more difficult. They are shown to have substantial number of zats. Considering they even supplied the jaffa rebellion with some at one iirc and Sg- frequently carried them in their packs as back up weapons. (Sam and Teal'c carried them as their normal side arms but they always had enough for all them to have one if they need to go non-lethal)
                          sigpic
                          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            This discussion AGAIN? i've seen it come up a half dozen times.

Zats were not in atlantis because they're in short supply. And since wraith, at least early on, were bullet sponges i doubt zats would have any effect anyway.

As you probably noticed, after a while the Atlantis team started to use wraith stunners which makes the need for zats obsolete anyway.
                            Sorry to be repetitive, have not seen addressed before..(only on here a year) If I remember right weren't the Jaffa also hard to kill at first but remarkably easier to take down by later seasons, sort of like the wraith were so hard to kill in season 1 but seemed to go down easier with bullets in later seasons...I do remember the stunners...true.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                              Haven't seen "Midway"?
                              I have

Comment

Then you've seen a Wraith get stunned with a Zat.

Comment

Working...
                                X