Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

reason why alterans are "dumb" (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because they are highly advanced and have technology that is 50 million years better than ours doesn't mean that they are all UBER intelligent, I know plenty of intelligent people who lack common sense and are just far to arrogant to accept the truth or someone else point of view. And this is for me how Atlantis portrayed the ancient/alterans to me.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother
      You're getting you're alien races mixed up. Alteran's and ancients are not the same race.
      Alterans include the Ancients. I believe that the Ori and the Ancients were Alterans. Those who liked religion more called themselves the Ori. Those who favored science kept the name "Alterans", but they all have the same genetic structure.
      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

we called them the ancients their real name is alterans
        A CORNERED FOX IS MORE DANGEROUS THAN A JACKAL!

Comment

Originally posted by B O Y S C O U T
          Just because they are highly advanced and have technology that is 50 million years better than ours doesn't mean that they are all UBER intelligent, I know plenty of intelligent people who lack common sense and are just far to arrogant to accept the truth or someone else point of view. And this is for me how Atlantis portrayed the ancient/alterans to me.

i agree but after 8 years WE hyped them up to be UBER in everyway

that's the point of the thread. is that we thought of them as UBER

Comment

Well in Atlantis they weren't uber, they were just... advanced, with technology that we can scavenge and harvest for our own means.

I don't think anyone would say they are perfect, even in SG-1 they aren't perfect. The ancients/alterians created a time travel device that didn't work in Window of Opportunity, in Assension they wiped out a whole race of people because one Assended Alterian messed with a lower plane of existance.

In no way have they been hyped up to be perfect, they have just been hyped up to be better with better technology. As people, and assended, they kind suck in their arrogance.
            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Damn straight Deevil!

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
                Well in Atlantis they weren't uber, they were just... advanced, with technology that we can scavenge and harvest for our own means.

I don't think anyone would say they are perfect, even in SG-1 they aren't perfect. The ancients/alterians created a time travel device that didn't work in Window of Opportunity, in Assension they wiped out a whole race of people because one Assended Alterian messed with a lower plane of existance.

In no way have they been hyped up to be perfect, they have just been hyped up to be better with better technology. As people, and assended, they kind suck in their arrogance.
                I completely disagree. U just havn't been watching enough to get the messeges. The ancients ARE 50 million years more evolved than us not just technologically but their consiousness having been on the path to assention for so many millions of years. And not just the phsicological consiosness, physiologically evolved too. Obviously for us to evolve from the earliest known homo-speicies it took a million years they have been evolving for 50 times that amount. What you say completely defies logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasankoon
                  I completely disagree. U just havn't been watching enough to get the messeges. The ancients ARE 50 million years more evolved than us not just technologically but their consiousness having been on the path to assention for so many millions of years. And not just the phsicological consiosness, physiologically evolved too. Obviously for us to evolve from the earliest known homo-speicies it took a million years they have been evolving for 50 times that amount. What you say completely defies logic.
                  What has that got to do with anything? Daniel ascended. A large portion of Abydos ascended.

How does their psychological evolution negate their (the alterians/ancients) arrogance? How does their age make them any less prone to errors? Or make them anymore perfect?

I really have no idea what you are saying here. Maybe you could help by telling me which part of my post you are replying to, and what part of my post defies logic. I really don't follow.
                  Last edited by Deevil; 29 June 2006, 02:56 AM.
                  Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

i can be sure but i think s/he is saying that because of they have been around for so long, they have had more life experience. They have lived through things and experienced things that we couldnt even dream of. because of this, they have more knowledge of the things around them and have made all of the same errors before, so they should have learnt from them and they wont make them again. If im wrong Pasankoon im sorry but that was my interpretation.

In my opinion, the Ancients are not this great race who have the answers for every secret of the universe. Sure they knew a lot more than us before they ascended but they didnt know everything. You have to remember that they were afterall, only human. This said, because they were so old and advanced technologically, mentally and physically, they thought that they were supperior to everyone else! Just like we thought they were.

Also, the ancients we have seen in SG1 have all been ascended beings or ascended beings that have descended. They still dont know everything but they know a lot more about the universe than they did before they ascended. We put them up on a predistal because we didnt really know them. Now that we have met them in Atlantis, we can see that they were only normal people who were on an evolutionary journey and had really cool technology and a better understanding of the universe but only because they had been around for so much longer than us.

In short, yes, you are right GreyFox!
                    sigpic
                    By *E*K*R*

Comment

You say "they" as if they're the Borg or something. Once an Ancient dies, what he learned dies with him. Sure, if he accomplished something great, others will know of it, but what he learned personally would never reach another's ear. IMHO a race is every bit the same even if they had time to "experience life".

It's like this. We've had 2 world wars, and about a billion other smaller wars. And do we learn from them? Hell no. We're fighting right now around the world, like in Iraq, Afganistan, Sudan, etc. If you take a human and drop him off in the middle of nowhere, he'll revert back to a caveman in no time flat.

Comment

In response to the original post and what many have said, this is how i interept the situation.

The predescened alterans/ancients did not obtian the full extent of the knowledge as a they would once ascended. So Greyfox your are rigth in the fact the predescended ancients were dumb.

As those of you said the ancients aren't the UBER race we thought they were you are only half- right. The ancients the the predescended form were not as UBER as we thought. However once Ascended it is shown that they are since it is mostly the only way to reach a level of exsistence where as the other way was for the rebel ancients to assist in ascend for those they thought to deserve it.
                        You may aruge agianst that, but remember that the reason the ancients decide to make it a rule among them not the interfere with those who have not ascended as them, is so that we who are not ascended will discover the knowledge of the universe as they did. Also you have seen certian(rebel) ancients disobey that rule only to show that we have much to learn and achieve with in ourselves before we can reach the level of ascended beings. that is why we put them on a pedastal. not because we don't not know about them about because we do not know as much as them
                        WE WILL DESTORY THE ORI

Comment

Honestly, I don't think the Alterians are better then us. Having technology and intelligence doesn't denote greatness. Some of the greatest people in the world, and our history, have never had a formal education. Writers create, and re-create. They are not superior, their abilities lie elsewhere.

TBH, when it comes to the Alterians and Ancients I see a race of people that are blinded by their own intelligence and they have the arrogance to go with it. Sure, they say that they want us to gain to knowledge for ourselves. THat would make sense if they didn't leave all their toys in the playground for us to use.

We assume they are good and intelligent, but we don't know this to be true.

Comment

Agreed with the earlier statement. The Ancients were made out to be this great race in the early seasons of SG-1 due to the fact at the time they were only being talked about, nothing more. At that time, TPTB probably weren't even thinking of incorporating the Ancients into the show as they have now. And since they have, they have to dumb downed due to budget constraints and storyline issues.

Comment

Originally posted by npattis
                              Agreed with the earlier statement. The Ancients were made out to be this great race in the early seasons of SG-1 due to the fact at the time they were only being talked about, nothing more. At that time, TPTB probably weren't even thinking of incorporating the Ancients into the show as they have now. And since they have, they have to dumb downed due to budget constraints and storyline issues.

that's what i'm trying to say. people keep reading it wrong or something

Comment

Working...
                              X