Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i love stargate atlantis. in my opinion it's even better than stargate sg-1 is right now (i'm not saying sg-1 is bad. it's great. atlantis is even greater).

mckay is one of the best things about the show. he's an arrogant guy who knows he's smart and uses sarcasm to hide that he's insecure about himself and scared sh!tless.

dr. weir is awesome. she knows how to take control lol.

as for star trek voyager... it was the best star trek show. i hate deep space nine, and next generation is kind of cheesy (i like the movies better). enterprise is ranked second to voyager in my books.

as for the Wraith... lots of aliens eat humans! they should have a cookbook out 'How to Serve Man'. every aspect of every scifi show and movie has been done millions of times. it's kind of hard to come up with new and original these days. isn't it the point of aliens that they're a threat to humans? kill 'em, eat 'em, it's over done and classic. what would scifi be without those that eat humans?

and if you don't like the show, stop your *****ing, and stop watching. go find something else to watch during that time slot. or play cards or something.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by APKMatt
      As far as I have seen none of the ships in the Asgaard fleet have light speed travel, and it has been see that the Asgaard homeworld also took 8 chevrons, so I can guess we assume that they are located in a different galaxy as well. My point is, seeing a Asgaard ship traveling at normal ship speeds from a different galaxy wouldn't make it in time to Atlantis to see Shepard and Wier's children.
      What are you talking about???? The Asgard have the fastest hyperspace travel in all of Stargate! They go from their galaxy to ours in only a few hours, or less!
      sigpic
      In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

I have to agree at this point in the season. Atlantis has been disappointing, so far. The story arcs are non-existant and, other than Ep 1, there has not been much difference (you see ep 2, you've seen ep 3).

The wraith are reminiscent of Buffy and the Vampire characters (horror show monsters). Each Goauld has a distinct personality whereas the wraith do not. I was hoping to see some character development - none yet. Dr. Weir is one dimensional - no charisma nor empathy for her subordinates. Also, Jessica Steen characterized Dr Weir as a 3 dimensional character. Torri Higginson needs to "relax" and humanize her character and NOT rush her lines when she speaks.

The Asgaard would not be much help - the Ancients were subdued by the wraith and the were far superior to the Asgaards.

The writers need to put on their creative hats if they want to save this show.

Also, comparisons to SG-1 is unfair - different actors and characters (don't compare apples to oranges).

I hope the wraith won't be the only non-humans the Atlantis team meets - review of upcoming eps is not encouraging in this area.

I hope I'm proven wrong about Atlantis, we can onlly wait and "view"

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina
          I hope the wraith won't be the only non-humans the Atlantis team meets - review of upcoming eps is not encouraging in this area.

I hope I'm proven wrong about Atlantis, we can onlly wait and "view"
          Well, if you think about it. I don't think we'll ever meet a non-human race.

**** Spoilers for Rising *****

The Ancient Holo-Lady said that they put life into a galaxy where there once was none, and then they meet the Wraith.

My theory is that the Wraith consumed ALL the non-human races and then went into hibernation.
          sigpic
          In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

The Foothold Aliens!

((Yes, they are my favorite neglected plot teaser.... ))

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
              The Foothold Aliens!

((Yes, they are my favorite neglected plot teaser.... ))
              *Thinks* They did say that the Goa'Ould are the dominant species of this galaxy, and many think they aren't from our galaxy... What if they're a species the Wraith missed?

Galaxies are big, plus those aliens seem to be good at camoflage... Not as good as the Nox though
              sigpic

Comment

The Seberus - in Forsaken was one of the non-human races SG-1 met so it is possible the Atlantis troupe may meet other species besides humans, also. I hope so - the eps need variety!

Comment

They said they were from another galaxy, but I'm half kidding. SG1 sets up so many things that "we really should hear about again" and than don't. I'm just really fond of the Foothold aliens (how can you not love Evil Janet).

But than again they are my pat answer to any random question.

Person: "Why does the gate do X odd thing in this episode..?"
                  Me: "It's the Foothold aliens!"

Comment

Originally posted by sabrina
                    The story arcs are non-existant and, other than Ep 1, there has not been much difference (you see ep 2, you've seen ep 3).
                    The pilot is episodes 1 and 2. So you must mean 1x03 "Hide and Seek" and 1x04 "Thirty-Eight Minutes". If you think those two episodes are similar, you've got to be kidding. Maybe you re-watched 1x03 and thought it was 1x04?

Btw, go back to the first 5 episodes of Season 1, Stargate SG-1 (Children of the Gods, The Enemy Within, Emancipation, The Broca Divide, The First Commandment) and tell me what story arcs you're able to identify.

The wraith are reminiscent of Buffy and the Vampire characters (horror show monsters). Each Goauld has a distinct personality whereas the wraith do not. I was hoping to see some character development - none yet. Dr. Weir is one dimensional - no charisma nor empathy for her subordinates. Also, Jessica Steen characterized Dr Weir as a 3 dimensional character. Torri Higginson needs to "relax" and humanize her character and NOT rush her lines when she speaks.
                    I doubt we've actually seen any wraith equivalent of a Goa'uld system lord yet. There are plenty of Goa'uld underlings who are uni-dimensional as well.

As for the oft-repeated observation that Jessica Steen portrayed Dr. Weir so much better than Torri Higginson, I decided to go back and re-watch 7x21 and 7x22, The Lost City, Parts 1 & 2. I thought Steen did a decent job with the character but that Higginson was actually better in a leadership role. I didn't think she rushed any lines at all and had a more "commanding" presence than Steen.

The Asgaard would not be much help - the Ancients were subdued by the wraith and the were far superior to the Asgaards.
                    We shouldn't just assume that "because A seemed to triumph over B" and "B is more advanced that C" that "A will naturally defeat C". After all, didn't Anubis defeat the Tollan? And I question your statement that the Ancients were "subdued" by the Wraith. From the reaction of the Wraith to Ancient technology, it seems they continue to have a healthy regard for the Ancients. Also, how many thousands of years have the Wraith hibernated, allowing other races, including the Asgard, to advance more?

Also, comparisons to SG-1 is unfair - different actors and characters (don't compare apples to oranges).
                    Huh? SG-1 is the closest "apples to apples" comparison we have for Atlantis but try using S1 of SG-1 for this comparison and not its entire 7 season run to date.
                    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

I was prepared not to like Atlantis because, from the ads and info I'd seen, I didn't think I'd have the same empathy with THIS crew that I did SG1, but I tried to keep an open mind.

I was hooked from Episode 1! Although I really disliked McKay from the SG1 epis, he has grown on me, and I think of him as SGA's Dr. Smith without the evil agenda He's beginning to have a heart - and it seems to surprise him as much as it does me!

To me, Dr. Weir is as she should be. This mission needs someone cautious and thoughtful at the helm. So she's not eye candy - get over it, guys

I didn't think I'd like Sheppard, but I do. He's a bit of a swashbuckler, and sometimes he acts before he thinks, but he's got character.

I agree about the Wraith's appearance being a bit comic-bookish. The only one that's really scared me was the red-headed one, but I can overlook that.

On the whole, I find SGA very entertaining. I'm not hung up on comparing it to other shows, I'm just enjoying getting to know this new crew and their new home.

Comment

Atlantis has a few problems it could work on but to say that it sucks is just not right. For the most part I find it very good and seeing as how theses are just the first few episodes it´s really to early to say one way or the other whether or not it´s going to suck.

I remember seeing the pilot for SG-1 and not being that taken with it, the show just didn´t grab me. Of course I started watching Farscape at the same time and that might have eclipsed SG-1

Comment

Wow, look at all the responses. I'll add my 2 cents by saying that this critique is coming from a guy that wants more Farscape. I thought they should have ended that show after the first episode. flame away

Comment

Did you *have* to say that about Farscape? I'm all full of righteous indignation now.

::Goes off to find a Ranting thread ::

Madeleine

Comment

Please,please,please,please. Relax. That was one, if not the most, negative group of comments on any subject that I have ever read in my lifetime. I think that relaxing and enjoying a well written and produced series, like Stargate:Atlantis is something that is required for negative individuals. Give the show a chance!!! The insight and production value in this show is a stand alone accomplishment. Ratings don't lie. Look at them again. Watch the pilot again. You will love the show.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BAM
                                You will love the show.
                                Is that a prediction or a command?

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X