Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also agree that the Ancients knew they were gonna do inter-galaxy networks.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
      You know, reading through a lot of this, I have a question someone else asked somewhere along the way, but I don't remember where. How does the 8th Chevron really work? We thought that you gave it the destination coordinates and then a distance factor (the area code or 8th Cevron), but does it act more like a shift or control key and change the meaning of the first 6 symbols?
      That was me a few posts back. I think about this stuff WAY too much. I'm now starting to think about putting together my own detailed "Theory of Stargate Addressing".

The "shift" key theory, IMHO, is the best fit. The Ancients thought big. Really big. I'm sure in their grandiose plans they envisionsed a stargate system spanning the entire universe...millions of galaxies, each with millions of planets. Cramming that all into a single address would make the addresses huge, and remember they expected the younger races to use the gates too so it was in their best interest to keep the system as simple as possible.

Comment

so do we have an answer to the original question or just theorys?

I'm leaning towards finding the Atlantis coordinates in the outpost database/computer/thingamyjig-

BUT- if thats the case SURELY it would have had the 8th symbol too?

Comment

How many threads are there on this topic? See the following.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...88#post6284788

Look up Omnipedia under 'Lost City'
          sigpic
          "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

I think that before defining the "extra" (seventh, not eighth, in an eight-glyph sequence), we should define what the PoO is for.

If the Ancients did in fact plan on having eight and/or nine chevron addresses, it makes sense that they programmed the PoO not only as a coordinate, but also as a "send" key- so that the gate system could properly interpret the symbol sequence according to its input number.

Its also worth considering that the eight symbol addresses could possibly be pre-programmed. It would make sense to simplify intergalactic travel by only making two specific gates possible to make the galactic connection, so that dialing "Pegasus Galaxy" (a pre-programmed eight-chevron address) automatically seeks the Atlantis Gate, regardless of location.

We have only seen one gate in the Milky Way (Earth's- former site of Ancient capital) able to connect to other galaxies, in each case only one planet, either Othalla (Asgard Capital) or Atlantis (Lantian Capital). Its possible that these worlds were pre-progammed as specific destinations to facilitate intergalactic gating, rather than allowing every gate in the 'verse to connect to any other.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post
              I think that before defining the "extra" (seventh, not eighth, in an eight-glyph sequence), we should define what the PoO is for.

If the Ancients did in fact plan on having eight and/or nine chevron addresses, it makes sense that they programmed the PoO not only as a coordinate, but also as a "send" key- so that the gate system could properly interpret the symbol sequence according to its input number.

Its also worth considering that the eight symbol addresses could possibly be pre-programmed. It would make sense to simplify intergalactic travel by only making two specific gates possible to make the galactic connection, so that dialing "Pegasus Galaxy" (a pre-programmed eight-chevron address) automatically seeks the Atlantis Gate, regardless of location.

We have only seen one gate in the Milky Way (Earth's- former site of Ancient capital) able to connect to other galaxies, in each case only one planet, either Othalla (Asgard Capital) or Atlantis (Lantian Capital). Its possible that these worlds were pre-progammed as specific destinations to facilitate intergalactic gating, rather than allowing every gate in the 'verse to connect to any other.
              Your standard DHD is not designed to handle an 8-chevron address.
              The only reason that we know of for why Atlantis and Earth are the only planets that can dial intergalactic are because neither of them have standard DHDs.

As we learnt in 'Home' Atlantis' dialling crystal facilitates the use of the 8th chevron, putting the crystal in any other DHD allows it to dial intergalactic but the standard crystal in a DHD is not capable of it.

Earth, as we all know, use their own custom made dialling computer which was modified to allow use of an 8th chevron by O'Neill in 'The Fifth Race'.

So theoretically any gate can dial out, and presumably be dialled in from, an intergalactic address as long as the DHD either has a specially designed dialling crystal or uses our own ad hoc dialling software.

Comment

So you're agreeing that only one gate in each galaxy is "meant" for extragalactic dialing?

Comment

Working...
                X