This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
    I thought they were talking about Pegasus galaxy when they mentioned 1000 worlds before the Wraith were found.
    I too assumed thats what they ment. That they left earth and seeded a galaxy that was presumed to have no life in it, namely Pegasus. And presumed because they eventually stumbled on the Wraith, and had to high-tail it back to Earth and sink Atlantis to the bottom of the ocean there.

But what I want to know is, what happened to them back on earth after they sunk Atlantis? Is THIS when they learned to ascend? Why then, isn't the woman from Frozen (Ayla?) acsended and instead buried under the ice for millions of years after that?

They obviously didn't ascend until after they left Atlantis because they were still using cities.

I hope this gets addressed. It was a lot of exposition crammed into those 2 hours!!

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
      What about in refference to the Ida gallaxy, or is that fictional. I've been wonderring about this a lot. It also seems that TPTB have made is appear that the energy required for this trip was more than the energy required for travelling to the Ida gallaxy. Is this a correct assumption? Also, the Asgard have the technology to travel between our galaxy and their within a reasonable amount of time (I'm not sure if it's minutes, hours or days. I know it took Carter and Teal'c ten days to reach Ida with the modified Goa'uld cargo ship). Is it possible for the ASgard to travel to Pegasus ina reasonable amount of time (i.e. months or a couple years)? Just wonderring.
      Pegasus must be further away than the Asgard galaxy because SG-1 was able to build a duplicate of O'Neill's MacGyver'd ZPM in "Point of View" (Season 3), but apparently that was not an option this time. Plus Daniel said it was 'farther than we've ever been...'

Comment

Actually the Pegasus Galaxy is real, and it is a dwarf galaxy. It was only discovered in 1999. Check here for more. http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990122.html

Comment

Originally posted by langdonboom
          I too assumed thats what they ment. That they left earth and seeded a galaxy that was presumed to have no life in it, namely Pegasus. And presumed because they eventually stumbled on the Wraith, and had to high-tail it back to Earth and sink Atlantis to the bottom of the ocean there.

But what I want to know is, what happened to them back on earth after they sunk Atlantis? Is THIS when they learned to ascend? Why then, isn't the woman from Frozen (Ayla?) acsended and instead buried under the ice for millions of years after that?

They obviously didn't ascend until after they left Atlantis because they were still using cities.

I hope this gets addressed. It was a lot of exposition crammed into those 2 hours!!
          Actually I think in the episode what happened was they sank Atlantis at the bottom of the ocean in the Pegasus Galaxy planet where Dr. Weir & Co. found the city. There's the line where "the Greeks must have heard about Atlantis from one of the survivors, but did not realize the city had sunk on another planet."

So Atlantis wasn't ever sunk on Earth. It existed there before, but then it was flown out of there as part of a migration to the Pegasus Galaxy.
          sigpic

Comment

Yea, thats when Daniel was explaining that Homer heard the story from someone who heard it from an Ancient.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperspace
              Actually I think in the episode what happened was they sank Atlantis at the bottom of the ocean in the Pegasus Galaxy planet where Dr. Weir & Co. found the city. There's the line where "the Greeks must have heard about Atlantis from one of the survivors, but did not realize the city had sunk on another planet."

So Atlantis wasn't ever sunk on Earth. It existed there before, but then it was flown out of there as part of a migration to the Pegasus Galaxy.
              Yeah, but that doesn't quite answer Hyperspace's question, though I could be wrong. What I got was, Atlantis left for a Pegasus Galaxy 5? Million years ago, we saw this in the first scene of Rising. There is also this conflicting look between Ayla? and someother Ancient (reminded me of Apophis). Atalntis takes off and leaves Ayla at the outpost in Antarctica, where she will be frozen for 5 million years untill she is thawed out in Frozen. The Ancients go on their merry way of populating the Pesasus galaxy until they run into Wraiths. The Wraiths proceed to kick the Ancients candy @r$es untill the remaining Ancients flee back to Earth. Now when this happenned is kind of ambiguous. The stories of Atlantis say that it sank 10,000 years ago and that was in ancient times BCE so add another couple of thousand years to that. According to Plato it was astory passed down orally by Egyptians (For those who don't know Plato was an ancient Greek philosopher). I think he got the story from an Egyptian priest. They also say it dank "Past the pillars of Heracles" i.e. the straight of Gibralter... boy you're telling me it was past there!! Anyhoo, I guess the Ancients that came back were the ones that ascended, but this also ambiguous. Also if they were the ones who ascended, then how did they get the plague? Did they bring it back with them inadvertantly, if it really was the Wraiths who created it? We know that the time machine in WoO was used to try and buy time to save them from the plague. So obviously they were definately in our galaxy when they were dying off from the plague, which insinuates that they ascended in this galaxy. But exactly when is a bit of a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by drbill28
                Actually the Pegasus Galaxy is real, and it is a dwarf galaxy. It was only discovered in 1999. Check here for more. http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap990122.html
                References:

http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/cgi-b...ARF+SPHEROIDAL
                http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJ/...09/990209.html

If you read the publication carefully, it is quite strange why to chose this galaxy for the show. The Pegasus dSph is a "low metalicity" galaxy with old stars and virtually no new stars forming - it is a dying galaxy even 1 million years ago (see Armandroff et al. above, section 4). It is quite illogical why someone would want to explore this galaxy, and not the rest of Andromeda galaxy system for new life in the first place.

Possibly the show producers did not read carefully what the people who discovered Pegasus dSph wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by ylai
                  If you read the publication carefully, it is quite strange why to chose this galaxy for the show. The Pegasus dSph is a "low metalicity" galaxy with old stars and virtually no new stars forming - it is a dying galaxy even 1 million years ago (see Armandroff et al. above, section 4). It is quite illogical why someone would want to explore this galaxy, and not the rest of Andromeda galaxy system for new life in the first place.

Possibly the show producers did not read carefully what the people who discovered Pegasus dSph wrote.
                  But the Ancients didn't leave today, they left thousands of years ago.
                  And what was the Pegasus galaxy like then ?
                  sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
                    But the Ancients didn't leave today, they left thousands of years ago.
                    And what was the Pegasus galaxy like then ?

Actually they left for Pegasus 5 Million years ago. They probably thought it was just fine then. Maybe since it was a old system they felt they could safely populate the worlds without having to worry about alot of techtonic instability that follows newly formed worlds.
                    It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Where did you get the 5 million from? :unsure:
                      Non Fui, Fui, Non Sum, Non Curo

Comment

from the show.

Comment

But if memory serves me well the show said between 5 and 10 million or several million years, but not a fixed number
                          Non Fui, Fui, Non Sum, Non Curo

Comment

You are correct.

Comment

Spoilers

When I said 5 million years, I was going with amount of time Ayla sp? was frozen, but even then I don't think they were specific on how long she was frozen in the episode Frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by Excali5033
                                Pegasus must be further away than the Asgard galaxy because SG-1 was able to build a duplicate of O'Neill's MacGyver'd ZPM in "Point of View" (Season 3), but apparently that was not an option this time. Plus Daniel said it was 'farther than we've ever been...'
                                Actually, while rewatching Rising... again... Daniel never say 'farther than we've ever been...' he says, 'Farther than we've ever imagined...' This is because the entire time, they were looking for Atlantis in our Milky Way galaxy, but they were wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X