Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are they going to call the SGA teams?

I mean in SG-1 its Sg-1-->22 I think.

What will they be called in Atlantis.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Well it isnt premediated manslaughter...this happened to be almost euthanasia. A mercy kill indeed.
      sigpic

Comment

If that event took place on Earth, there is a very real possibility that Shepard would face charges for murder under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. As an 11 year veteran of the US ARMY, I probably would have went for the head shot on the Wraith.

However, I do feel that Shepard did "do the right thing." He put Sumner out of his misery. The Wraith was unquestioningly killing him. By shooting Sumner, he prevented her from completely draining him and making herself stronger. With the fact that the Humans had just arrived at Atlantis and quite possibly had not discovered or even figured out how to use any medical technology and Earth medical technology definately couldn't save him, Shepard knew Sumner was a dead man regardless.

And of course the real reason is to complicate the character's life and make him question himself adding moral angst to the character.

Comment

Loved it, I give it a 9/10!!

There a lot of quotes I could refer back to, but I don't feel like going through the entire thread to pick and choose all of the ones I want.

I do agree, in some ways, that Rising did feel a lot like CotG, there were many times where the plot parallelled the SG-1 pilot. There were many similarities, but some of it was different as well.

I didn't think the characters were all that shallow, but they do need room to grow. I was really hoping for a lot more with Ford? (the character than Rainbow plays), from the Lowdown he looked to be a really interesting character, especially since the actor is somewhat new and brings a different style to the screen.

I also felt the Sumner had to die (although how is a different story) in order for the show to work. I don't see how the story could progress (theatrically and realistically, since most of knew Shepard had to take command) with Sumner. As far how he died, from a couch perspective, I was thinking, "Shoot Sumner!" and you knew Shepard was going to do it when they had that long look at eachother. However, if I had been in Shepards shoes at the time, I don't think I would have done it. Whether it's because I'm too weak or because I'd like to think I value life, well you can decide which one. Of course, as Scruff said, it sets up a nice conflict for the character Shepard, allowing room to grow (I still think the other characters need to grow more than Shepard).

What else.... I liked McKay a lot, he seems to have changed from when we first met him in 48 Hours. Great line "Using Power, using Power, Using Power...." and "Chevron 1, encoded..." "Right."

As to the Wraith being "too" easy, I think they just had a couple dozen to deal with because the rest were in hibernation. Yeah, itwould have been nice to overload a naquada generator to create a nice big boom for them (see Scorched Earth), but they didn't plan that far ahead because they weren't sure what they were getting themselves into.

In any case, I'm hooked for quite some time. If the show really goes south, I may stop watching it, but I loved the pilot and I can't wait to see more!

Is it me, or did it feel very movie-like? I think I liked it a lot that way (could be more of the CotG feeling).

Comment

And just for the record, it's not mercy killing. It's still murder.
            <sigh> I hate having to argue about these little things...
            It's not murder, it is non-voluntery euthanasia. He was uncapable of making decision because he was dieing. It is no different then killing someone who is braindead.

Comment

Hi,
              I wasn't able to watch the entire episode, got home late. So I won't rate the episode, but I did see the last 20 minutes or so.

One thing I noticed, and thought it was strange. Maybe it was mentioned earlier in the episode.

but for the past 8 years on SG1, I'm sure the SG teams were able to collect weapons from numerous battles they were in. Well watching the episode last night, it seemed like they only brought earth weapons? Did they not bring any staff weapons or zats? You would think they would bring whatever weapons they could just to be on the safe side? Plus what happens when they run out of bullets? They can't just go back and get more.

Just seemed odd, I hope someone might know? The zats were always something I liked about SG1

Comment

Just finished watching it! I can affirmatively say that this show can easily make it into my favorites list! Loved the show, even though the bad guys were sooo melodramatic

Just one question...When Sheppard & O'Neill were talking in the helicopter about Sheppard taking the assignment, what was that word Jack used? His line went something like this "This is not a long trip, but I'll be as ???cecint??? as possible". I looked it up, but I don't have the spelling right.

Anybody know it's spelling and/Or it's meaning?

Thanks,

Comment

Absolutely great show, can't wait to see next week's episode.

Comment

ok on the euthenasia situation..
                    there was more to it than it just being a mercy killing, sumner was about to crack from the mind probing and torture and surrender the location of earth. am i the only one that remembers than, and on top of that he used nonverbal comunication to, not only tell sheppard to put him out of his misery, but to show that they had reached even terms, a mutual understanding of forgiveness for past events, if you will. (remember how they were basically enemies at the beginning)

as for the word that he used, which is something that bothered me abotu the episode more than anything else

the word is succinct
                    it means short and to the point.

jack would NEVER use a word like that, NEVER EVER, he would complain if daniel used the word and be like 'smaller words please'

edit:

oh yeah i give it 9/10

sure it recycled previous plot points, what show hasn't, especially in the sci fi genre. i wonder if they did it on purpose with such little variation as a kind of shout out to the long time fans to give ppl here and elsewhere something to pick at. As long as people are talking about the show people will watch the show even if it's to catch more goofs or whatever. it's when people stop talking about the show you need to worry.

the english thing doesn't bug me
                    i'd be pissed off if they wasted my time explaining the english thing, i can accept that it's a tv show and they can't afford to make up new languages for every world they visit, which is probably the bigger issue than anything else.

i felt for the characters, i felt they did a good job developing most of them, taiya bugs me i dont' know why but i don't like her.

so yeah, 9/10
                    Last edited by nomadtw; 17 July 2004, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I think I'm going to rate it a 7 out of 10.
                      Last edited by N8iveTexan; 18 July 2004, 06:18 AM. Reason: Moved to official episode discussion thread per Forum Mom's orders. :)
                      L8er,
                      Mandy _|,,|

Comment

I don't get why this is a debate...it was obvious to me that the look he gave Shepard was a plea to be killed before the wraith freak could do it. I saw that right away in his eyes when he LOOKED AT HIM.
                        It feels good to be alive.
                        Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

This is a thread for rating the ep. It's nice to read people explaining why they rated it so, but I'd really hope all of you who've done that will post your views in the official thread(s) in the 'episodes' folder.

Any discussion or queries should go straight into the official thread.

Thanks,

Madeleine W

(Moderator)

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
                            I don't get why this is a debate...it was obvious to me that the look he gave Shepard was a plea to be killed before the wraith freak could do it. I saw that right away in his eyes when he LOOKED AT HIM.
                            OK, I'm done arguing/debating this subject.
                            Don't misunderstand me, I've never said that Sheppard himself was, in this particular instance, guilty of murder, but that the act was definitely NOT the best possible solution, and unfortunately, still an objectively immoral murder, which I think Sheppard himself eventually did realize at the end of the show.
                            I think I made this point quite clear in my earlier posts, so if anyone else is still confused, please go back and read them. So far I have also heard no sustainable arguments against the information presented within my original posts, so if someone still wants to continue this discussion in a new thread, please feel free to go ahead and do so.
                            There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

The only thing I didn't like was how easily they found out the gate address. They didn't explain it at all. I also thought they would bring some zats and staff weapons. They will eventually run out of bullets. For a pilot is was pretty good. I figured an ending for the final show already if it bombs (I don't think it won't thought) is they fly the city back to earth to study it. And Onell says wow cool city.

Comment

Originally posted by rpm44
                                The only thing I didn't like was how easily they found out the gate address. They didn't explain it at all. I also thought they would bring some zats and staff weapons. They will eventually run out of bullets. For a pilot is was pretty good. I figured an ending for the final show already if it bombs (I don't think it won't thought) is they fly the city back to earth to study it. And Onell says wow cool city.
                                You rather watch 2 hours of Daniel doing research to find the gate address to Atlantis...
                                Hmm lemme cross reference this to that and look up that in my computer. Hey look we found the first symbol to Atlantis's address.
                                Days later
                                We've found 6 symbols, but nothing is coming up, thats right lets look for a 7th.
                                Hours later
                                Eureka, its not in our Galaxy.
                                Blah blah blah, arrive in Atlantis.
                                *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
                                McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Working...
                                X