Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so here's an update of my font. Q,X, and Z are still missing (so I left them in there original form). I also played with spacing and shape to get the letters to look better and cleaner. No sure what to do about Q,X, and Z for now, hopefully we'll get better screen shots in future episodes.

EDIT: Attachment removed and added to a later post.
    Last edited by VirtualCLD; 26 July 2004, 03:34 PM.

Comment

***The Ultimate Ancient Alphabet Post***

NOTE: The Ancient Alphabet only works for Ancient writings found in Atlantis (and even there, not always). It doesn't work for Ancient writings found in SG-1 ("Torment of Tantalus", "Window Of Opportunity", "Fifth Race", "Chimera", "Heroes", "Lost City"... etc.). It is possible that they are older dialects of Ancient since it seems they have the same style but are different.

Ancient letters are found everywhere in Atlantis (stairs, puddle jumpers, computer consoles, door openers). Ancient numbers are found on Atlantis consoles.

**The Ancient Alphabet originally deciphered by sgeureka**
      NOTE: We are missing the letters Q,X,Z.

Ancient Alphabet And Number Chart by Markey2:

Observed Ancient grammar rules:
      1) There are no spaces.
      2) There are no capital or lower case letters.
      3) There is no punctuation.

Atlantis staircase translation: (In some scenes the letters on the stairs appear to be upside down... but are later corrected.)
      01 WE HOLD THESE AS THE TRUTH
      02 A HEARTY WELCOME TO THOSE OF OTHER WORLDS
      03 VISITING OUR HOME FOR THE FIRST TIME (W)ELCOME AGAIN
      04 ABSENCE HAS WEIGHED HEAVILY ON OUR SOULS WE ARE
      05 TO THOSE RETURNING YOU Y HAVE BEEN GONE TOO LONG AND YOUR
      06 AS WE LEAVE FOR DISTANT WORLDS WE PLEDGE TO RESPECT THE LANDS OF
      07 WHOLE AGAIN THAT YOU ARE AMONG US AND WE CELEBRATE YOU BEING HERE AGAIN
      08 OUR NEIGHBOURS AND TO ACT WITH INTEGRITY AS AMBASSADORS IN PEACE TIME
      09 OF OUR PEOPLE TRAVELLERS WITH OPEN HEARTS WILL ALWAYS BE WELCOME REFUGEES
      10 INHABITANTS OF THIS WORLD AND ALL WE MAY EVER KNOW WE WILL ALWAYS STRIVE TO
      11 FROM TYRANNY MAY SEEK SHELTER UNDER OUR ROOF AND (?NAT) OUR PEOPLE WILL LAY
      12 DOWN THEIR LIVES TO PROTECT THE WEAK AND THE JUST LET THIS BE OUR PLEDGE TO THOSE
      13 COME IN PEACE AS WE GO IN PEACE AND YOU WILL BE WELCOME ON OUR SITES FOREVERMORE

Puddle Jumper console translation:
      PROTOCOLS MUST BE SET BEFORE LAUNCH
      ATTEMPT GATE REENTRY

There is also a lever in the back portion on the Puddle Jumper that opens that back hatch that says EJECT.

*Here's the comparison of all the fonts to date*

To install the fonts:
      for Windows: unzip the file to C:\Windows\Fonts\.
      for Mac OS X "Panther": unzip the file and double click it, then click install.

Chevron_nine's Font: Times New Ancient

VirtualCLD's Font: Ancient Virtual

WurdBendur's Font: Anquietas

WurdBendur's Font: Ancient Hand
      Last edited by Selmak; 20 August 2004, 12:11 PM. Reason: Font Revision

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_o_Neill
        Selmak found 4 unique letters and he posted them in an earlier post but they are very difficult to see and he wasn't able to work out which one went with which letter We will probably have to wait for a few more episodes of Atlantis before we get enough text to find those letters.
        I took that pic from the Ancient Door-Opener thing... if you look closely there are a few unique characters... one looks sort of like the Q in Chevron's Font, there is another that looks like a Z and there are a few others... but we have determined the console is gibberish so I don't know...

Comment

What scene was that shot of the Ancient Door-Opener taken from?

Comment

it's in the GateWorld "Hide and Seek" photo gallery... from when Ford was attacked... I think.

Comment

Okay, decipher this obelisk from "Planet Surrey" where they are filming this week. Okay I know you can't read it, but it is a "genuine" ancient obelisk from the location, and there 2 large pillars and 2 smaller one all with ancient writing on them. Cool, eh?

--------------------------------------------------

Comment

Way cool. Looks like a board game scratched up bad but it's hard to see from this distance. Almost Braillish in some ways? Or, well... looks like a real pixel-y language. I guess that's why the Ancients knew how to work computers so early on.

By the way, I wonder if they had their own Internet? Seriously.
                Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by Torley
                  Way cool. Looks like a board game scratched up bad but it's hard to see from this distance. Almost Braillish in some ways? Or, well... looks like a real pixel-y language. I guess that's why the Ancients knew how to work computers so early on.

By the way, I wonder if they had their own Internet? Seriously.
                  Probably so. I'd like to get a hold of one of their wireless routers . Upside, you've got your cable anywhere on earth; downside, you're getting wardriven by people on the other side of the globe if you don't set up some good security.
                  Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                    Ok, so here's an update of my font. Q,X, and Z are still missing (so I left them in there original form). I also played with spacing and shape to get the letters to look better and cleaner. No sure what to do about Q,X, and Z for now, hopefully we'll get better screen shots in future episodes.
                    Your new zip-file didn't work for me. It says it is not valid. Is that just me? I've tried several times, also with the one in Selmak's post. (EDIT: Nevermind. The zip-file in your post still doesn't work for me, but Selmak's does.)

I like the fonts of both of you guys for different reasons, but unfortunately, both of you call the font "Ancient". My computer will only display one of the two "Ancient" fonts due to the same name. Could one of you (or both) name the font something different (like "Ancient CLD" or something) ?

Also, when I woke up this morning, I noticed that I must have confused a lot of you people with saying "Latin letters". I was refering to the letter system which most of the Western world uses (unlike the Cyrillic system the Greeks and Russians use, or the Chinese letter system). I did not refer to the Ancients being Latin or something like it was said in "Fifth Race".
                    Last edited by sgeureka; 26 July 2004, 02:18 AM.
                    No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                    (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                      I took that pic from the Ancient Door-Opener thing... if you look closely there are a few unique characters... one looks sort of like the Q in Chevron's Font, there is another that looks like a Z and there are a few others... but we have determined the console is gibberish so I don't know...
                      Shame its gibberish...It would of been great to find the whole ancient alphabet

Thanks for letting me know, I hope we get more text to translate in 'Thirty-Eight Minutes' and other eps after that

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

That filming set just keeps getting better!
                        __

__

Comment

I'll have to check the zip file when I get home.

Comment

The stuff written on the control panels in Atlantis that's just "gibberish", what if it's something like a serial code. The unknown symbols could be numbers, so one of the consoles might say JWER38.... just a thought

I can't tell right, but the pillars in Tynehead don't look to be this dialect of Ancient...

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, but unfortunately, it doesn't help us decode the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Planet Surrey
                                Okay, decipher this obelisk from "Planet Surrey" where they are filming this week. Okay I know you can't read it, but it is a "genuine" ancient obelisk from the location, and there 2 large pillars and 2 smaller one all with ancient writing on them. Cool, eh?

http://members.shaw.ca/gbesales/File...entobelisk.gif
                                Took a while but I've checked it. The pillar is a re-use from SG-1's S7 "Heroes Part 1". Check the scene where the red-haired guy says "Dr. Jackson is going to die when he sees this." There is also a close-up of one pillar in that scene and it doesn't have "our" dialect on it.

Thanks anyway for sharing your pic.
                                No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                                (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Working...
                                X