Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantis - Innovative new show, or SG-1's death throes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with you Anubis, I really think this show is going to rock.
    sigpic

Comment

YAY! I'm gaining everyones agreement! Mumahaaaaa!!!!
      __

__

Comment

Is that a rare thing?
        sigpic

Comment

His thoughts are drowned in the amount of posts he makes, so it just floats away

Comment

anyway this year is probably the last year of SG-1 because its too expensive and O'Neill work only 4 days/weeks then he won't be able to return in an SG-teams as usual ! They've only 20 episode this years ...

I really don't want it is the last years but everything go in that direction ! Atlantis is a like a refresh to attract the fans aigain even is scifi will never say that [Ahahaha a Weir new sentence =)] !

But I think SG-1 can still have many good years before it becomes "obseletes" ahhh soo many "souvenirs" in past seven years ... a new seasons has begun and now we think it'll be the last [Aigain ?] I hope no !
            - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
            - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
            - The Nox

Comment

there's like a billion more episodes in SG1 just to tie up old plots.

Comment

I agree. I think over about two seasons of SG-1 they could tie up everything! Maybe
                __

__

Comment

They can't cancel SG1 before they've answered the most important question in the series:

"That just happens so be how I feel about it. What do you think?"

Comment

Those lines are annoying eh?
                    (That was from Window of Opportunity right?)

Stupid cut of lines where you are left wondering what the heck was he gonna say! BAH!
                    Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
                    - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
                    - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
                    Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
                    Mayboune: *shrugs*
                    - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Hmm... Well I think all of my thoughts have been posted on this thread, so I really have nothing more to add, just to reinforce.

Some spin-offs work and some don't. I see a lot os spin-offs added due to popularity, not due to the original show failing. Whether they catch on or not is another story. I'm giving Atlantis my full support (as much as I can give since I haven't actually seen the premiere yet). There is nothing to say that it's introduction is a result of bad... things. I believe the reason why so many people are willing to gamble on it is due to the popularity of Stargate, not it's death. TNG to DS9 transistion is probably the best example of spin-off/hand-off. TNG stuck around for one season while DS9 got in place and it worked. A similar situation to Voyager (whether that's a success or not is debateable, but it did last seven seasons) and the plot is even similar (stranded with not return).

Although I'll reserve full judgement untill I get to start watching episodes, I'm going to be highly anticipating Stargate Atlantis.

(wow, that was a lot for not having much to say. I should not say a lot of things more often)
                      Last edited by VirtualCLD; 15 July 2004, 08:19 AM. Reason: can't spell

Comment

Voyager was crap and only added because the dumb people in charge of Star Trek didn't think DS9 would work but it got the highest ratings out of all the Treks.

This spinoff has been planned for like 4-5 years now, I remember during the 3rd or 4th season of Stargate they were talking about a spinoff and all they would say was it was called Atlantis. Since then it has really changed, but I think it is for the better. If it was set up on Earth like it was going to then would it have stayed underwater? And you can't have to Stargates on a planet, so how would the SGC work in the movies?

Voyager not being able to get back and Atlatis is different, Voyager was crap, the lost idea wasn't the reason, it could have been a great show but the writers that made TNG and DS9 weren't there, we still have the same people and New Order showed they still have something left in them. Just one more day until we see, but frankly I think so of the episodes down the road sound better than the pilot.

Two things to learn from.....
                        1. Voyager was crap don't ever compare anything to it.
                        2. My glasses are broken so forgive the typos.
                        Last edited by David85; 15 July 2004, 08:54 AM.
                        It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                          And you can't have to Stargates on a planet, so how would the SGC work in the movies?

Two things to learn from.....
                          1. Voyager was crap don't ever compare anything to it.
                          2. My glasses are broken so forgive the typos.
                          I thought you could have as many Stargates as you like on a planet, only one works at any given point in time.

Yes, I agree, Voyager was more than bad, it was horrible!! I guess I should have stuck with the TNG to DS9 analogy. However, I was just reitterating that Atlantis doesn't mean the death of the Stargate Universe.

Comment

I think Atlantis will be a MASSIVE success. Infact, i'm betting that the Atlantis premiere will shatter the records SG-1 made with it's premier of season 8.
                            I think Atlantis will be just as big as SG-1...and that this will open the way for Sg-1 to make films with the more success from BOTH shows they recieve.

We are looking at the next major sci-fi franchise.
                            It feels good to be alive.
                            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

I think Atlantis is gonna be a gigantic collosal humogeus success and that everyone who ever doubted it will be like "Damn I was soooooo wrong" and then I'll be like HA! In another ten years when ppl will be like "Star Trek??? Don't u mean StarGate?" and they be saying this because Stargate became a gigantic collosal humogeus success and everyone forgot about StarTrek. WOOOOHOOOOO I'm so happy(ChiefChucky Reminds himself that over 3 million ppl watched New Order)

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                                I thought you could have as many Stargates as you like on a planet, only one works at any given point in time.

Yes, I agree, Voyager was more than bad, it was horrible!! I guess I should have stuck with the TNG to DS9 analogy. However, I was just reitterating that Atlantis doesn't mean the death of the Stargate Universe.
                                That's what I meant, if they had Atlantis on Earth that would be three Stargates, which is fine, but only one works at a time. So Atlantis and SGC would need to work together and time things out, plus what if one team needed to get home because they were under attack, but the other gate was open. Opps, sorry...
                                It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Working...
                                X