This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith faces

I know this has been probably asked before but i couldnt find the thread and i wasnt going to sit and sive through hundreads of posts to find my answer, anyway
    I noticed that some of the races have different faces and colurd skin so whats this about youv got some wraith like steve that can talk to you and have a face and then you just have other faceless goons as soldiers.

What is this for

The really boring answer is: budget constraints & time efficiency. It's faster and cheaper for the production to have a stock of one-size-fits-all masks to pull onto stuntmen playing the background wraith rather than having to spend hours applying custom prosthetics for what is essentially an incidental role (it's just like Lord of the Rings - all the background Orcs were just in pull-on foam latex masks). A full facial prosthetic can take anywhere from 2-4hrs to apply, depending on it's complexity, but with a pull-on mask you can have your stuntie through makeup and wardrobe inside an hour. A full prosthetic has to be constructed specifically for the actor wearing it (off a lifecast of their face), can only be used once, and requires constant maintainence during the day; as well as concessions to keep the actor cool while wearing it. A pull-on mask can be taken off by the actor between setups, generally doesn't require any touchups during the day, and can be reused many times before it degrades.

The interesting answer has been discussed on and off throughout various threads, and so far the hypothosis has to do with the wraith's insect-like social structure:
    Queens - fairly self-explainatory, the ladies who run the joint.
    Workers - big talkative males, acting as commanders and right-hands to the Queens.
    Drones - faceless goons, acting as shock troops and cannon-fodder.

-- Cynicatlantis - home of BeanieLantis, and other such silliness --

Comment

Ok so thats what its about and thats why your the first person to replie

Comment

Originally posted by Cynicat
        The really boring answer is: budget constraints & time efficiency. It's faster and cheaper for the production to have a stock of one-size-fits-all masks to pull onto stuntmen playing the background wraith rather than having to spend hours applying custom prosthetics for what is essentially an incidental role (it's just like Lord of the Rings - all the background Orcs were just in pull-on foam latex masks). A full facial prosthetic can take anywhere from 2-4hrs to apply, depending on it's complexity, but with a pull-on mask you can have your stuntie through makeup and wardrobe inside an hour. A full prosthetic has to be constructed specifically for the actor wearing it (off a lifecast of their face), can only be used once, and requires constant maintainence during the day; as well as concessions to keep the actor cool while wearing it. A pull-on mask can be taken off by the actor between setups, generally doesn't require any touchups during the day, and can be reused many times before it degrades.
        It essentially works as described above. However, the main line Wraith character goes through the entire wardrobe transformation (costume + prosthetics). While all the extras go through the transformation, too, the actor who's playing the main character's get's the whole shebang done. If you watch all the wraith scenes carefully, you'll notice that the majority of the scenes only have one main wraith character, or the main character plus an assortment of "factory made" No-Faces (the guys that wear the masks). It comes down to time, budget and efficieny. What ever method produces the best results with the least budget and time constraints will be the method used.

Comment

Also, all the Wraith have green skin. Sometimes they are just under a blue light which makes them look more blue. If you look at behind the scenes shots of the Keeper, even her skin is green.

My LiveJournal

Steve the Wraith's Adventures

www.legendofzeldaseries.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lysia
            Also, all the Wraith have green skin. Sometimes they are just under a blue light which makes them look more blue. If you look at behind the scenes shots of the Keeper, even her skin is green.
            *sigh* any links please?????
            tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
            yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
            Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RA the sun god
              *sigh* any links please?????
              Ses
              James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Oh! Sally... Nice.

Comment

They wear masks cause
                  Spoiler:
                  Because I donno

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyMckay
                    They wear masks cause
                    Spoiler:
                    Because I donno
                    wow. you almost blew the biggest secret of Wraith society outta the water: Why do the No-Faces where masks?

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyMckay
                      They wear masks cause
                      Spoiler:
                      Because I donno
                      I feel robbed of the valuable energy it took to highlight that
                      Ses
                      James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                        wow. you almost blew the biggest secret of Wraith society outta the water: Why do the No-Faces where masks?
                        cause like this they are not frightened when they walk ahead a mirror

Comment

Be nice if they have a pic of Jimmy (from Rising) that is not under the blue lights. Sally looks nice and the name suites her.

Comment

Working...
                          X