This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Hive Ship Population???

Does anyone have any ideas as to how many Wraith can crew a Hive ship exactly, considering the size I believe there to be a total of 6,000 wraith but this is just an estimate, what do you people belive?

It's not been stated. Although considering that Nimitz class aircraft carrier (which is, presumably, much smaller than a hive ship) has a crew of over 6,000, I'd be willing to be that the number is much MUCH larger than 6,000. Probably more on the order of 10s if not hundreds of thousands just at a guess.

Comment

How can you determine the size of a wraith ship and determine the number to be 6000? I don't know how big it is or how many but they were packed in like sardines while they were in hibernation, so I don't think we could place a guess anyways.
      It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Martin Wood said in an interview recently that there's
        The Lost Boys
        Spoiler:
        3000 of them on the hive ship that Sheppard and the others are on.

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva
          Martin Wood said in an interview recently that there's
          The Lost Boys
          Spoiler:
          3000 of them on the hive ship that Sheppard and the others are on.
          Well that cleared that up, thanks gooner. No wonder the Wraith are mad, considering that Weir and her team slaughtered 15,000 Wraith who wouldn't be mad

Comment

3000 on a Hive ship would seem reasonnable. There are after all one pilot per dart, and there were countless darts sent in The Siege. They kept coming on and on and on when you looked at the atlantian displays and more directly the show itself.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

So assuming those numbers to be accurate there were only, um, 180,000 wraith in PG? Seems like rather a small number, honestly. Martin's comments notwithstanding that would suggest that there are LARGE volumes of unused space in the hive ships. Again, for reference, a Nimitz class carrier, which is "only" about 1000 ft long has a crew of 6000 and while they're likely much more cramped in there the ship is also far FAR smaller than what we've seen of a hive ship.

Which, you know, really brings up a rather good point. Almost all the other races we've seen, at least the more advanced ones, always seem to number only in the thousands, maybe a few million. Yet here we are with 6 BILLION+ people on our planet and by all accounts we're liable to have 10's of billions within the next few decades.

Okay, I'm not real sure what my point is here, just that that is something that I've noticed. Obviously for worlds in PG that's to be expected. Same for the Jaffa. But what about some of the other more advanced races we've seen, why are they so few?
              Last edited by Avatar28; 14 November 2005, 11:18 PM.

Comment

3,000 per hiveship would explain why the things seem to be 90% empty all the time.

Comment

True. Although watching the Siege Pt 3 when Teyla had linked up to the wraith to convince them we were going to destroy the city, there seemed to be quite a few walking around. Of course, that could have been a cruiser too, we don't know.

In your other thread about are the wraith stupid, it was suggested that there might be seperate hive ships with the females and children that are kept out of danger. Perhaps that explains why the one mentioned above only has 3000, because it's a military ship or some such? Maybe there are even different sizes of hive ships. There might be really big ones like in Rising and smaller ones that we see in The Hive. Though I doubt that to be the case, or at least not physically smaller but perhaps less populated?

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                    In your other thread about are the wraith stupid, it was suggested that there might be seperate hive ships with the females and children that are kept out of danger.
                    I'm not so sure about that. The two hives we've been to so far have had a Queen. In Instinct
                    Spoiler:
                    the young Wraith girl was on a dart that was headed to a culling which would seem to suggest that they don't exactly keep their kids away from action.
                    Besides, the Wraith may not all live on their ships which would explain:
                    a) Why they always look so empty
                    b) Why there's only 3000 of them on board

Not to mention the fact that Martin Wood may have come up with that figure on the spot. It wouldn't be the first time TBTB said something they disregarded later on. I won't take it for granted until I hear them say it in an episode.
                    Last edited by gooner_diva; 15 November 2005, 03:00 AM.

Comment

My theory:

Wraith Hive-ships appear almost empty because they are

The ships were constructed during the Wraith Ancient War when the Wraith had a galaxy of advanced civilisations to feed upon. Since the war ended Wraith have suppressed any advancement of humans and the mostly medieval socties can simply not support as large a population so the Wraith starve. As a solution they institued the Hibernation periods but even with that their population has been shrinking. During the war they could throw fleets of ships at the Ancients atm they have only 60 (actually 55)

Waking them up early has worsened the situation for the Wraith and no they or desperate to reach a new feeding ground quickly. They are desperate and imo its only a matter of time till the situation explodes - possibly in a Wraith civil war or worse, much worse...
                      Last edited by Steve_the_Wraith; 15 November 2005, 03:27 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gooner_diva
                        Not to mention the fact that Martin Wood may have come up with that figure on the spot. It wouldn't be the first time TBTB said something they disregarded later on. I won't take it for granted until I hear them say it in an episode.
                        Plus theres the assumption that all Hives have roughly the same population - I think Martin left himself a loophole there - later he could simply say that the particular hive had 3000 but others have...
                        Last edited by Steve_the_Wraith; 15 November 2005, 03:30 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                          only, um, 180,000 wraith in PG?
                          so far we have seen about 3 cruisers per every hive ship.
                          So your figure isn't accurate.
                          Also there may be planets with wraith cities on them, after all, we dont all live on ships.

Comment

That's an interesting theory.

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                            During the war they could throw fleets of ships at the Ancients atm they have only 60 (actually 55)
                            Number 60 was mentioned in Underground, yes. Sadly, I think the writers will forget about that as it goes along. Remember The Siege Pt. 3?
                            Spoiler:
                            McKay said that there's at least 60 hive ships in Pegasus, who knows how many more elsewhere. Excuse me, but how is that possible if they had already destroyed 3 in the siege plus Chaya destroyed one(?) in Sanctuary?
                            I have a strange feeling that no matter how many we destroy, they'll keep saying "there's at least 60 of them" either because the Wraith keep building more (or bringing more from another galaxy, who knows?) or because the writers make mistakes.

Comment

Are we sure it was a hive ship in Sanctuary (Skank-tuary ) I thought it was something smaller like a cruiser

Either way maybes its one of those episodes TPTB will pretend never happened cough*Hathor*cough
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X