This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rihannsu
    Are they going to have to try a different formula to account for stellar drift like in SG1?
    Why would they? The DHD is supposed to compensate automatically.
    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Ah, I see! So the DHD negates the need for any formulas.

Good to know.
      "You're creepin' me out, Mc Kay." Carter

Comment

Originally posted by rihannsu
        Ah, I see! So the DHD negates the need for any formulas.

Good to know.
        Unless the Atlantis one breaks too.
        It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

In one of the promos I have seen the DHD looked completely different than the one in SG-1. Maybe it is just the one in the city proper. The DHD in the puddle jumper would have to be different the ones in our solar system, ours would be to big in the puddle jumpers.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
            3. They should remember to only press six symbols before the center button (not really a difference in the way it looks, but it really bugs me)
            It's SEVEN symbols then the button acts like a send button. The only time I've seen them dial less buttons is if the camera switches focus during dialing, or if the camera only cuts to a view of a person dialing after they have already started. The Point of Origin is definately one of the symbols on the DHD's and it looks different on each planet.
            My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
              The Point of Origin is definately one of the symbols on the DHD's and it looks different on each planet.
              Which doesn't really make sense when you think about it. Since each DHD is different, where's the need for a PoO button? The DHD could simply have been programmed to automatically add it to the end of the address when you push the center ball.
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                Which doesn't really make sense when you think about it. Since each DHD is different, where's the need for a PoO button? The DHD could simply have been programmed to automatically add it to the end of the address when you push the center ball.
                The same can be said for the entire gate system. Why have a POO at all? Just have the gate always send a POO signal when ever it's dialled. That is, unless there's some other use for the gates we still don't know about.

Comment

well cheveron 7 is always PoO.(even when 8 are dialed)

Comment

Let's take a look of a picture that I took from a teaser [Official no spoiler here plz] it seems we've create an homemade interface from the ancient DHD device for the mother gate [The gate on Atlantis city seems to be a "mother gate" wich can be used on both gatenetwork ]

This device seems to be very cool and we'll probably see the same device on Atlantiscity cause this actual device seems to be bring back from the advanced outpost found by SG-1

I'm very exciting to watch the lowdown next monday !

** I apologize for my bad level of english but u know i'm from Quebec and I don't listen in my english class very much yet
                    - Maybe one day you will learn, that your way, is not the only way.
                    - The very young, do not always do what they are told.
                    - The Nox

Comment

Originally posted by Kaloo
                      well cheveron 7 is always PoO.(even when 8 are dialed)
                      Actually it's not it's always the last one. I suggest you re-watch The Fifth Race.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                        I made a post on the topic of POOs in another thread, which would explain the need for the POO button:
                        I don't think that's[unique gate symbol always the POO] been stated as an abosolute on the show. If anything it's just a handy rule of thumb that helps them figure it out. The A (or as the Ancients called it, "at"), has been shown on at least 3 gates that I can think of right now. It's on the Alpha (Gaza) and Beta (Antarctic) gates, as well as the Bedrosian gate ("New Ground"). It's only acted as a POO on earth, suggesting that the POO depends on where the gate is (which actually is the physical point the wormhole originates), rather than a "unique" symbol to each gate (which would make the POO entirely redundant and the term POO rather inaccurate). This makes the gates only semi-interchangable, as a gate will only work on planets for which it has the POO. However, this greatly increases the address space of the gate system without increasing the number of symbols to be entered to dial an address. Unique symbols were, for the most part, kept on the planet to which they corresponded [as POOs]. When moved though, the symbol still represents the location of that planet, however it would be used in a destination instead of working as the POO.
                        Implied is the fact that DHDs are interchangable in the same way. For the most part, original DHD/gate pairs are still together, but the DHD doesn't know the gate's POO until you punch in the last symbol.

BTW, as far as everything I've seen about Atlantis, the Atlantis city gate is the only one with blue cheverons and pretty lights; all of the others are the same gates as in the Milky Way.
                        Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

If you ask me, that seems a little bizarre to make each DHD unique to a certain Stargate. If the big red button doubled as the point of origin, then the Ancients could just mass produce the DHDs, without having to worry about modifying each one -- which makes more sense to me.

I thought that the Atlantis team discovers a "new gate network". Now is it new in the sense of destinations, or new in the sense of stargates? I'm hoping the latter -- much more storylines then.
                          Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                          Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                          Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                          Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                          Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                          Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                          Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                            If you ask me, that seems a little bizarre to make each DHD unique to a certain Stargate. If the big red button doubled as the point of origin, then the Ancients could just mass produce the DHDs, without having to worry about modifying each one -- which makes more sense to me.
                            It doesn't make DHD's unique to a gate, it just limits interchangability. However, if the POO just becomes a gate identifier, it's function becomes far more limited. It's quite redundant, as the gate doesn't need to be told "who" it is in order to dial. The show indicates though that the gate needs to be told "where" it is so the unique-as-POO system leaves out vital information in the dialing address. A system could be devised so the gate could automatically figure out where it is, but the extra processing would drain more energy and probably cut the lifespan of the power sources.

I thought that the Atlantis team discovers a "new gate network". Now is it new in the sense of destinations, or new in the sense of stargates? I'm hoping the latter -- much more storylines then.
                            I'd much prefer they didn't get a "new" gate, beyond the one in the city. The idea seems rather cheesy to me. I can see the reason for a different gate in the city, since the city is designed to travel between galaxies, and the gate is integrated into the city, but the only difference between Pegasus gates and the Milky Way gates should be the symbols. Beisdes, the gates still haven't been fully explored yet. We don't need new gates, there's plenty left in the ones we've got.
                            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Unless their Stargate in the city gets destroyed after the Wraith take it over or some other incoming attack... c'mon, you know, the invasion is inevitable!
                              Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                              more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Working...
                              X