Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zee PM or Zed PM, how do you pronounce it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avatar28 has a mucho grande, collosus, gigantic, humongous really really big POINT!!!!!!
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy
      Avatar28 has a mucho grande, collosus, gigantic, humongous really really big POINT!!!!!!

Only to Americans. The rest of the English-speaking world uses Zed, as they all speak International/British English, not American English, which is now officially another language (being at least 10% different to I/B English).

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
      ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

Oye.
        sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by alfirin_kirinki
          Only to Americans. The rest of the English-speaking world uses Zed, as they all speak International/British English, not American English, which is now officially another language (being at least 10% different to I/B English).
          Well, going by what wikipedia said, American English is 2/3 of the native English speakers and Britsh and other English the remaining 1/3.

I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, after all, as noted, Zed IS closer to Zeta which is where it came from, yet at the same time it appears the Zee pronounciation came first.

Comment

We Americans Revolutionized it.
            "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
            'Eleanor Roosevelt'
            Individuality is freedom lived.
            'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1
              We Americans Revolutionized it.
              No, it was the Brits that changed it. We kept it the same.

Comment

Everyone knows Z is really pronounced zzzzzzzz, not Zed or Zee
                I say Zed btw, it sounds so much nicer
                The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

LOL! Well that was one wasted joke.

*Note to self. Forget the jokes.*
                  "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                  'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                  Individuality is freedom lived.
                  'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
                    Everyone knows Z is really pronounced zzzzzzzz, not Zed or Zee
                    I say Zed btw, it sounds so much nicer
                    ZZZZZZZZZZZ...sorry, was I dozing..?

A small niggle with Avatar28's point...
                    The American English form zee derives from an English late 17th-century dialectal form, now obsolete in England.
                    For a country that shares a common language, the UK has hundreds of dialect forms. Not to rubbish your claim here, but your entry states that 'zee' derived from just one, which really proves nothing. It is possible that only that dialect form used 'zee' and the remaining ones used 'zed' and did so prior to the 17th century.

~*Beanie*~ | No mountain too high, no gutter too low... | Ar scáth a chéile a mhairimid uilig...
                    "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Comment

Originally posted by knocknashee
                      For a country that shares a common language, the UK has hundreds of dialect forms. Not to rubbish your claim here, but your entry states that 'zee' derived from just one, which really proves nothing. It is possible that only that dialect form used 'zee' and the remaining ones used 'zed' and did so prior to the 17th century.

We're also talking about the modern form of the language. No one speaks Olde Worlde English any more.

That basic argument suggests that the Americans are way behind the times.

Also: Wikipedia is written by anyone who wants to write in it - it's not necessarily fact as much as hearsay.

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
                      ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

ive been going to wikipedia alot now for things im looking up, and being an aussie i say Zed-PM, sounds very strange if i ever say Zee

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                          ive been going to wikipedia alot now for things im looking up, and being an aussie i say Zed-PM, sounds very strange if i ever say Zee
                          Don't worry it's just those silly backwards americands
                          srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

like them driving on the wrong side of the road

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo
                              like them driving on the wrong side of the road
                              The french do that was well, but I know what you mean...
                              srg

Save Stargate SG-1!

Comment

So, who exactly is "them" who drives on the wrong side of the road eh...?
                                And I say Zed PM. As an Asutralian of course...

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Working...
                                X