This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shep
    again, the laws of physics. if the city is too top heavy, it's unstable. if it was designed to serve as both water and space vessel, it will have been designed for ballast and balance of mass.

storms that span the entire visible horizon and large parts of the planet are a problem.

also, the Daedalus is a space ship. it is meant to be used in space. why would anyone waste the time and money altering its design to be capable of a water landing on the off chance that it might want to land on water sometime? and other than that, if the ship had docked, which is what one does with a vessel, not landed, which is what one does with a space/air ship, it would have asked for permission to dock, not permission to land.

that's land, as in not water but ground. not off the east pier, or beside the east pier, or even alongside the east pier, but on the east pier.

these crews are professionals. they use words precisely. if it was a water landing, they would have asked for permission to dock.
    well, the city isn't very tall, except for the tower/control room, all other areas are low lying compared to the width of the city. Also, the east pier maybe partly submerged, which would explain why some water in murky outside atlantis (did any1 else notice that), just my thoughts.

Comment

again, the laws of physics. if the city is too top heavy, it's unstable. if it was designed to serve as both water and space vessel, it will have been designed for ballast and balance of mass.

storms that span the entire visible horizon and large parts of the planet are a problem.

also, the Daedalus is a space ship. it is meant to be used in space. why would anyone waste the time and money altering its design to be capable of a water landing on the off chance that it might want to land on water sometime? and other than that, if the ship had docked, which is what one does with a vessel, not landed, which is what one does with a space/air ship, it would have asked for permission to dock, not permission to land.

that's land, as in not water but ground. not off the east pier, or beside the east pier, or even alongside the east pier, but on the east pier.

these crews are professionals. they use words precisely. if it was a water landing, they would have asked for permission to dock.
      If the Daedalus was coming down from space I'd say it was technically landing, no matter what it ended up resting on. Are you saying that Atlantis didn't land on the planet it docked on the planet? that just doesn't sound right to me.

If you have pics of the Daedalus at the start of the landing sequence you can see another one of Atlantis' "arms" in the background. So there's an arm in the forground and one in the background and the Daedalus is landing on something reflective and rippling. The only conclusion I can come to is that the Daedalus did infact land on water, despite how little sense that would make. In fact, I would bet it landed between the two arms on the bottom-left in this picture http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/downlo...2-1024x768.jpg
      It seems to be an area closed off from the outside ocean between two arms.
      My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

If the Daedalus was coming down from space I'd say it was technically landing, no matter what it ended up resting on. Are you saying that Atlantis didn't land on the planet it docked on the planet? that just doesn't sound right to me.
        when you approach water or air space that is currently, visibly occupied, you request permission to either land or dock. if you do not, you are considered hostile and can be legally fired upon. anyone, in any military, anywhere, obeys the rules of engagement and approach, unless of course they are invading. those rules extend to the civilian boating population as well. if you approach a cove, a beach, a boat on the open water, you hail and ask for permission to dock. again, failing to do so is automatically hostile intent, whether you mean it or not.

Comment

you also have to consider that some of the city maybe underwater so it can float, ie the bits between the peirs so its possible that there is only a small ammount of water there so its nothing to really worry about.

Comment

Honestly, I have less of a problem with the Daedalus landing in water than I do the fact that Atlantis itself is a spaceship. I just can't picture that thing flying thru space!

Comment

when you approach water or air space that is currently, visibly occupied, you request permission to either land or dock. if you do not, you are considered hostile and can be legally fired upon. anyone, in any military, anywhere, obeys the rules of engagement and approach, unless of course they are invading. those rules extend to the civilian boating population as well. if you approach a cove, a beach, a boat on the open water, you hail and ask for permission to dock. again, failing to do so is automatically hostile intent, whether you mean it or not.
              And that applies here how?
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger
                it doesn't. but is he indicating the ancients are hostile as they may have not have asked the planet permission to land ?

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger
                  because it was a reply to ChevronNine saying:

which i quoted in my original reply?

it doesn't. but is he indicating the ancients are hostile as they may have not have asked the planet permission to land ?
                  again, not a he. and it does apply. the conversation is about what the ship actually set down on, water or the east pier. the point of the dialogue was brought up and i agreed. the language is very specific and military personnel wouldn't use "land" if they mean "dock" or "come along side" or some other water-landing indicator. and i'm not really sure why i'm getting snarked for it.

Comment

Originally posted by darkcoder
                    you also have to consider that some of the city maybe underwater so it can float, ie the bits between the peirs so its possible that there is only a small ammount of water there so its nothing to really worry about.
                    thats what i reckon. technically it would land on water on the east pier, making everyone right *cowers quickly only just realizing what he siad*

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron_nine
                      http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/downlo...2-1024x768.jpg
                      It seems to be an area closed off from the outside ocean between two arms.
                      just a quick point, if you look at the arms in this pic they all appear to be raised significantly off of the oceans surface, also notice all the shiny flat bits all over the city, they look like better landing sites than on water between piers...

Comment

Originally posted by the daedalus project
                        just a quick point, if you look at the arms in this pic they all appear to be raised significantly off of the oceans surface, also notice all the shiny flat bits all over the city, they look like better landing sites than on water between piers...
                        So then the arm edge which Daedalus supposedly landed on couldn't have been flooded since like you say it's raised from the ocean surface. If it was flooded then the entire front portion of those screen caps would be underwater as well. From that picture your commenting on, the center sections of the outer arms, where the buildings are, seem to be housed insome sort of depression lower in height than the arm edges. So if the arm edges were flooded over then the water would have poured into those depressed areas. I don't see anything like water in the front of those stills, only the back part. This might rule out the possibility of Daedalus landing on a flooded section. This means it either landed on water or on dry ground.

And TBH, from that pic, Atlantis doesnt look THAT impressive. Doesn't New York have more scyscrapers than that?

Comment

Originally posted by shaqarava

And TBH, from that pic, Atlantis doesnt look THAT impressive. Doesn't New York have more scyscrapers than that?
                          not so many skyscrapers but new york isnt an intergalactic spaceship...

i'm going with the daedalus being on a dry part of the city, on the solid shiny flat bit as i put it before

Comment

Originally posted by the daedalus project
                            not so many skyscrapers but new york isnt an intergalactic spaceship...
                            That's what they all say when Atlantis is comapred to a real city, being a flying intergalactic spaceship isn't an excuse, lol

Comment

I'm bringing this thread back up to prove I was right. If you've watched The Hive you can clearly see that the Daedalus lands in water between the arms of Atlantis.
                              My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Well done. Very well done. -claps- lol (clapping for me, is substitute green...)

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Working...
                                X