This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
    What is the point from the human perspective?

Would they really be any less unpleasant if they WERE eating clones? Or for that matter, seeded their own galaxy, assuming they could get there?

They'd still be preying on terrified humans.
    But a Wraith is not concerned with what's best for a human. If we allow for a Wraith-centric view, the moral argument has to be suspended.

For all we know, perhaps there are some vegetarian Wraiths. We were introduced to a Wraith that enjoyed wine, food and art. As you know, he said that our food does not sustain them, in the manner that it does us. I would like to know, what is it about our composition that DOES sustain them.

The question of whether their feeding is unpleasant to us, or whether or not we will be terrified of them is a forgone conclusion. Full stop.

Perhaps Mckay can create a bottle of Wraith-b-Gone spray, then make millions by selling it on the home shopping network.

Comment

Originally posted by deSaintphalle
      Why haven't they tried cloning? Couldn't they feed from cloned people? They could have a farm just for that purpose.

If I were a Wraith, I'd rather do that than argue with my food.
      That's a possibility but then we wouldn't have much of a show since the wraith wouldn't be obsessed with finding earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Simpsons did it!
        That's a possibility but then we wouldn't have much of a show since the wraith wouldn't be obsessed with finding earth.
        thats not the question here. And the wraith would still want to find earth, because cloning is extremly hard and you have to raise the humans till they are ripe to pick. Relieving food production for a bit would be tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by James_the_Wraith_Sympathiser
          Maybe they all prefer 'free range' humans.

There are a few issues here -

1) We found out in "Rising" and "Condemned" that they get more satisfaction from humans that are strong and defiant (respectively) than of others. Also, 'Steve' the wraith looked less than impressed when presented with the terminally ill man to feed on. It's an enjoyment factor - could a cloned human reach a state of freedom sufficient to become a strong or defiant person that a wraith would enjoy feeding on?

Think of it this way - sure, we humans could survive on a much more basic diet than lots of us do, but eating a larger variety and quality of foods gives us more satisfaction. I assume that this is the same for the wraith.

2) We have heard Beckett (or was it McKay?) mention that a wraith's strength is proportionate to how recently they have eaten. If the wraith didn't mind the taste (lol) of cloned humans, then theoretically, they could clone a huge amount and reduce the need for hibernation - which is not a good idea, cos I imagine they'd probably still be hellbent on getting through the Stargate to Earth. They had a big enough problem with destroying the 3 hive ships heading to Atlantis, who knows how many more are out there...

just some thoughts.
          Great points James, you're on to something. Let's discuss them.

1. Why then, do they continue to pass over Dex? He is both strong and defiant, and aesthetically pleasing. By all accounts, Dex should be the human equivalent of a prime rib for a Wraith. However, they continue to pass him over. Why? Are the Wraith saving the best for last? We do know that they like to play with their food.

Also, a sickly human to a Wraith, could be the equivalent of burger tainted with mad cow disease, or rotten vegetables, or rancid cheese.

2. I propose that someone like Beckett should get hot on making something like a meal replacement shake for a Wraith. The Slim-Fast people may be interested in investing. We do know from Instinct that if such a thing were possible and could satiate the Wraith hunger, it would not last long on the shelves.

Comment

Also, a sickly human to a Wraith, could be the equivalent of burger tainted with mad cow disease, or rotten vegetables, or rancid cheese.
            Or the wraith could be unaffected by human illness.

2. I propose that someone like Beckett should get hot on making something like a meal replacement shake for a Wraith. The Slim-Fast people may be interested in investing. We do know from Instinct that if such a thing were possible and could satiate the Wraith hunger, it would not last long on the shelves.
            Great idea! But wheres the fun in drinking a milk-shake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?

Comment

Great points James, you're on to something. Let's discuss them.
              when they feed on the sick it just doesn't help them as much doesn't adversly effect them at least thats what i think since the one wraith we had feed on the sick guy with no issue (poisoning the well) other than he didn't think it was a real meal.

Comment

Well, I'm not sure whether I'm in the appropriate thread, but this was the best one I could find. Hi, all!

Some interesting discussion about Wraith feeding habits, though at this point I think there's just not enough information to draw any conclusions. Thus far, I feel TPTB have been pretty good about continuity on this subject. There was the brief reference in "Poisoning the Well" to a person who was somehow resistant to an enzyme the Wraith secrete during the feeding process and, wonder of wonders, the enzyme issue returns with more detail as the Ford storyline and (partial) resistance is revisited as a possible explanation for Ronon and other runners.

Anyways, that's not what I was going to write about.

While rewatching "Poisoning the Well," I found I was truly struck by how the Wraith, the cullings, and the prey psychology have shaped the human natives of the Pegasus galaxy. I can reason out why the Genii and the cultures from "Poisoning the Well," "Childhood's End," and "Condemned" have developed as they have to a degree, but I still find the stark facts rather unsettling. It's like, yes, I understand, but I think it's crazy and more than a wee bit disturbing.

What's even more interesting, though, is that I get the impression our beloved Atlantis expedition is going the same way. Starting to slide into the same kind of reasonable madness the more time they spend in the Pegasus galaxy fighting the Wraith. Because the Atlanteans are much better prepared in technology and military might to oppose the Wraith, their mindset is by no means changing quickly to match that of the Pegasus natives, but there have been many mistakes and a number of shady moral judgments that, I think, reflect a certain... desperation.

The medical sciences have, by far, been pushed the most. Rather free genetic experimentation? Ford and his merry little band of drug addicts? Though physics isn't far behind with the need to find either more ZPMs or another comparable source of power. Yes, we could take the ZPM from the people of "Childhood's End," and yes, let's fiddle with this highly suspicious and likely dangerous prototype energy technology.

Really, the more I think about it, the more I feel the Wraith should be viewed as frightening enemies because their very presence brings out the absolute worst in humanity and makes that behavior a necessity for survival and sanity.

Of course, I wouldn't mind TPTB fleshing out the Wraith biology and society to make better villains, but grunge makeup, leather outfits, and slight squick value aside, I'm already freaked out enough by watching and thinking about how everyone reacts to the Wraith. I find it a surprisingly intellectual scare.
                The fact is I think I am a verb instead of a personal pronoun. A verb is anything that signifies to be, to do, or to suffer. I signify all three.

Comment

Working...
                X