This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weir

Is it just me, or is anyone else loving the new Weir attitude, the powerful, 'mess with me if you dare' side of her

Siege Prt 2 : With the Genii
    Intruder : With the generals at the SGC
    Condemned : With the magistrate before leaving

"Gotta ask yourself one thing, do you feel lucky? Well do ya? Punk?"
    Last edited by Atlantis_Man; 14 August 2005, 11:06 AM.
    Spoiler:

I'm loving it too Although she had it in her right from the beginning but Atlantis was new to her and its quite intimidating like she's stated in a season 1 episode. I hope we'll be seeing more of this side of her as the season pregresses

sigpic
    Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
    Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Before answering I would kindly request you change the name of your thread, because 'Weir' is not explicit enough.
      No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
      I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
      Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

I think Weir was like that from the beginning, like in 38 mins when she told that scientist off. That's one of the things that makes her such a good leader.
        sigpic

Comment

Anyway, I think Weir was awesome in, "Condemned", she sure whipped that guy's @ss real good.

LOl
          Go SG-1! Go ATLANTIS!
          WOOHOO!

<<Amanda Tapping's the only sweet hunny bunny for me>>

Comment

I like it but it is taking a lot of getting used to
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

I really like the actress. She is so Shakespearian I began doubting she should stay in such a show. But I suppose she must make a living...

When I first saw her with her clipboard again I told to myself "Oh no she's going to cave in for the whole episode again and pretend she is useful".

Then I had the excellent surprise of seeing her go off-world on an important diplomatic mission. That was the heroine Weir as she was supposed to be at the beginning. I liked that part.

Then it was all broken down by Weir threatening the local Prime minister with her armed guards. No you don't just threaten a head of government in a foreign country in their own governmental palace with just three soldiers. No you don't. If you do that you can't walk out safe. That would be for the chief of a non developped tribe in a village.

I mean it may be necessary to appeal to a certain audience to show a few troopers in uniforms ending a diplomatic talk showing their guns, and that's the way you have to show your characters have guts, ending up provoking a government on their own territory, and so on.

But sometimes when the government has been described as advanced a few minutes before and you have just three soldiers it becomes too hard to swallow. I watched the scene again. Weir had just made unnecessary negative diplomatic signs, almost a declaration of war, whereas it seemed more useful to leave in good terms just in case. When she said "We're leaving" there was no sign of their hosts wanting to stop them, and she just provoked them into arresting her.

So, in a sense it was an energetic scene showing her with courage, ethics and willpower. From another point of view it was complete nonsense.

Then during the flight back I liked her part again, taking part in the action.
              I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
              Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

Weir is an awesome character although I would have expected her to have learnt some ancient by now so she could help with translation as she is a language expert, come to think of it, who on the base can actually speak/read ancient.
                "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
                Woman:What
                Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Comment

Weir rocks when she plays it tough. The only time I haven’t liked her character is when she’s been wishy washy.

Now I could have attributed her timid uncertainty to her being in a new situation IF Weir (first version) hadn’t been so cool and tough in Lost City. Also Weir (2nd version) in New Order was no wimp either but when they brought her over to Atlantis she seemed to lose a little something. And although she showed a flash of the old Weir in 38 min I didn’t think she got her mojo back until Storm. Since then her character has gotten better and better. This year she is ranking among my favorite characters in the show. I hope this keeps up.

....Now if we can just get Telya a little something that would be cool. I like her as John’s 2IC type we need to expand on that but if we cant, well at least Weir is starten to rock!
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Torri is a very good actress and its good to see TPTB give her good scenes to work with. I really noticed her in "Before I Sleep" and I've enjoyed the character ever since. Nice to see strong, brainy women who don't feel the need to run around half nekkid to impress.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                      Nice to see strong, brainy women who don't feel the need to run around half nekkid to impress.
                      Hasnt that always been the case in SG? Sam, Janet etc.
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Salas1
                        Weir is an awesome character although I would have expected her to have learnt some ancient by now so she could help with translation as she is a language expert, come to think of it, who on the base can actually speak/read ancient.
                        She was the first to translate Wraith in "The Gift"
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                          Hasnt that always been the case in SG? Sam, Janet etc.
                          Stargate has been one of the best Sci-Fi shows in portraying women. The only one that did it equally (maybe better) was B5. Although Star Trek did have its bright spots they had a lot of miniskirts and spandex too.

Sam, Janet, Weir, Telya (her wardrobe is mostly not that bad she does wear body armor during battle)

Plus the secondary characters have been good.
                          Sara (jacks wife), Sarah (Daniels scientist girlfriend ... never noticed that before two Saras), Hailey, Satterfield, Cassandra, Merrin, Ke'ra, Laira, High Chancellor Travell, Kershaw, All the female gards at the SGC and now Caldwell, all the russian women were portrayed well. Only real mistep was Arnies. And maybe Ishta and Vala. Although Jaffa dont dress that well in general so I am ok with the Amazon theme and considering Vala's character is supposed to be annoying I can forgive this.

For the most part I love how Stargate writes women, if only we could take back the whole S7\S8 Sam pining for Jack thing I would say it would be near perfect. I think Weir is making up for what was lost in those years especially if we can avoid any more Simon talk and try to avoid any ship (sorry shippers just my opinion which would change IF TPTB could write an adult ship... now in that I doubt their abilities).

I vote for more strong Weir!
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveYouBaby
                            Anyway, I think Weir was awesome in, "Condemned", she sure whipped that guy's @ss real good.
                            Awesome indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Furling God
                              But sometimes when the government has been described as advanced a few minutes before and you have just three soldiers it becomes too hard to swallow. I watched the scene again. Weir had just made unnecessary negative diplomatic signs, almost a declaration of war, whereas it seemed more useful to leave in good terms just in case. When she said "We're leaving" there was no sign of their hosts wanting to stop them, and she just provoked them into arresting her.
                              I was wondering about that too. She was pushing it a bit and said some stuff which was slightly over the top. I think the reason she used her guards was just incase they tried to attack her while leaving or capturing her and feeding her to the Wraith, its better to be safe than sorry anyway.

sigpic
                              Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                              Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Working...
                              X