Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too, @Li3n, I really hope that the Wraith will not be that easy to defeat, given that they were able to defeat the Ancients, and are far more dasdardly than the Goa'uld.

Comment

The wraiths have to be cosmically strong because they completely dominated the Ancients, and they have to be moronically weak so that SGA doesn't get stomped immediately and the show can go on.

Hence they are advanced enough to block Asgaard beams in a few seconds, but they are too stupid to beam down soldiers in large numbers. And a lot of details like that.
      No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
      I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
      Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

the ancient ships must have been getting pounded because they have the best shields out of all the races in SG. they couldnt be powered by a zpm because that must have ment that the ship was getting pounded by wraith fire for weeks to drain it.

Comment

Prometheus took quite a beating from Anubis' super-ship before its shields began to waiver. Daedalus (with presumably a little stronger shields, being built second) was losing shields quickly in a matter of tens of seconds.

Comparing firepower of the ships, it seems that the Wraith energy weapons do pack quite a punch. Probably more than Anubis' ship, and almost certainly more than standard Go'auld fare.

I wonder why everyone assumes the Wraith have no shield technology of their own? It seems that they aren't all that bright (which is strange given their sophistication), so it's entirely possible that they just don't use them that much. Maybe they are a big power drain. Anyway, the ancient satellite weapon cut right through a hive ship but what if it just didn't have shields raised? And the puddle jumper cloaked and went to one, but same question, were shields non existant or just not raised?

When the Daedelus began beaming nukes into the hive ships it didn't take long to block the Asgard beaming technology. Pretty significant feat, no? You think the Wraith just magically created some nifty jamming device on the spot? What if they just raised a form of shield?

Comment

Originally posted by Orii
            Anyway, the ancient satellite weapon cut right through a hive ship but what if it just didn't have shields raised?
            Agreed, the wraith did not expect the satellite to be working. Because they probably remember disabling it. So I agree, the satellite, and the fancy teleporting nukes caught the wraith pants down.

Another thing to consider is this. Perhaps in-order to release darts, and transport culled humans up or beaming down wraith ground troop, the hive ship's shield must be lowered. Same goes when they enter, and of course, exiting hyper space. Remember, not even the replicators can keep modified asgard ship shield up when they are in hyper space transit, and the Asgard used this to ambush and destroy replicator ships by firing on them immediately when they come out of the jump.

In fact, this is probably one of the techniques the wraith used to destroy the far superior ancient vessels.

Comment

The Wraiths would have to be pretty stupid not to raise their shields after one of their hive ships got sliced by the Ancient satellite. Plus if they have to lower their shields for darts to exist or when darts cull people then their shields must not be very advanced since the Goa'uld can have gliders go through and use the rings when their shields are raised.

Comment

It is my opinion that two things were possible with the Ancient sattelite. 1. The Wraith didn't have their shields up, or 2. The Ancient sattelite travels through shields. We know drone weapons do it, so why wouldn't their primary means of defense do it? A much more powerful weapon not piercing shields when they had the ability. I think the Wraith are very powerful considering that they are basically one of two races we know of capable of reverse engineering Ancient technology with relative ease. 1. Replicators, 2. Wraith. They have been killing humans with arrows for hundreds of years...I think they just weren't expecting us which is why they seem weak. Also...after their hive was killed they saw no more possible threats from where they were...and rings were Ancient technology. Nothing proven there.
                Last edited by hungrytrash; 20 July 2005, 08:44 PM.

I like donuts and good rep . P.S. If you send me good rep, I send it back . If you send me Donuts...I'll...umm...*Silence*

Comment

Do we have any evidence that Daedalus could even damage a hive ship without the nukes?
                  Zilch. It also looks like they're going to have a pretty hard time even getting a nuke to hit a hiveship the normal way. The Wraith seem to be able to shoot them down just like that ship in the Nebula did with the Prommie's nukes.

As far as shields go I'm thinking right now that the Wraith probably use some other form of protection than standard sci-fi bubble type shields. It could be a hull conforming shield or just a lot of heavy armour.

Whatever it is the D's railguns didn't seem to do so much as annoy it.

Comment

Most technology is created out of a need. Why would the wraith then need shields? There last threat was seemingly defeated 10000+ years ago. They literally rule the rest of the galaxy with fear and no one dares challenge them (except us of course). Ancients definitely outdate the wraith and had a mobile city(making shields a necessity due to space, radiation,etc...). Plus, IMHO the wraith do not value the lives of fellow wraith(in other words, they are expendable). We see this apparent in Kamikazi techniques towards the end of "The Siege Part 3", and the pretty little bomb strapped to their chests just in case something goes wrong. They also eat each other in cases of extreme duress (case in point, the wraith in "The Defiant One"). No shields, no worries.
                    Und was ich sar war Menschlichkeit...

Und was ich sar war Dummheit
                    Menschlicher Neigung entsprechend
                    Tiersches Verhalten

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay,
                    Vicious

Comment

Well the Wraith probably didn't need shields out of necessity because the Ancients would've been able to penetrate anything with their superior weapons, so the Wraith never bothered with shields but probably have the knowledge and will impliment it soon.

Comment

My thoughts exactly, now that we've smacked the wraith royally in the face. We shouldn't be so surprised to see some basic shielding being outfitted to Hive Ships at least. On the other hand, they think we're dead.
                        Und was ich sar war Menschlichkeit...

Und was ich sar war Dummheit
                        Menschlicher Neigung entsprechend
                        Tiersches Verhalten

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay,
                        Vicious

Comment

I would love to see a Wraith shield, the Wraith Hive ships are probably made out of similar material to the Puddle Jumpers, even though they don't have shields, the Puddle Jumpers seem to be constructed from some exceedingly durable material. Someone stated something akin to this in a post I can't remember the name of, but what if the Wraith ships are made from some sort of living material, capable of almost instantaneous self-repair?

Comment

Working...
                          X