Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Atlantis outshine SG1 Season Eight?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Atlantis will tank.
    Atlantis will tank.
    Atlantis will tank.

How's your head?
    I just got out of surgery , but that kind of negativity may not be negative to some peopoe...
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas
      Is anybody else thinking/concered that Atlantis season one will outshine/outdo SG1 season eight? I can't help but think that it will, judging by what I've read and the new pics from "Rising". It seems like all the creators efforts are going into Atlantis. I've also seen it happen before with a spin-off show in the case of Buffy and Angel. Angel's season 3 and season 4, were much better then Buffy's season 6 & 7.
      Until I read your post, the thought never even crossed my mind. Since Atlantis can only be judged on potential then yes it is possible it could outshine SG-1 since it is starting with a fresh, blank slate. While it is possible, I kinda doubt it is probable that Atlantis will outshine SG-1.
      SG-1's slate , while neither fresh nor clean, is full of a rich history upon which the new season will be applying it's own refined touches and it will be hard for Atlantis to compete with that scope.

I am more afraid that Atlantis will fail than I am dreaming that it has the possibility of outshining SG-1 in the hearts of fans. I fear that people will watch out of curiosity and then tune out becuase it is different than SG-1. Fans so in love with SG-1 might not welcome another team that is portrayed as being equally significant as *their* team from SG-1. Besides, the whole makeup of the Atlantis base and team are in response to the USAF being in control of the SGC and how that is seen as negative. Atlantis will/should be different in philosophy as well as in cast and locale. Due to that different philosophy are we going to hear from time to time the line "Hey, this isn't the SGC, we dont do things that way here". Fans of SG-1 may not like that idea. It may seem to some as belittling the SGC.

I for one am looking forward to the juxtaposition of two different takes on the potential of gate travel and all that it entails every friday night but I dont know if it is everyones cup o'tea. Then again, I may end up being the one that's dissapointed if it is just SG-1 with new faces and locations.

Comment

Originally posted by zebrok
        I am more afraid that Atlantis will fail than I am dreaming that it has the possibility of outshining SG-1 in the hearts of fans. I fear that people will watch out of curiosity and then tune out becuase it is different than SG-1.
        I've lost track of the number of people I've seen say that they'll watch the pilot ep because it has Jack and Daniel in it, but they won't watch the rest of it because, "It isn't SG-1" or "It doesn't have Jack/Daniel in it". It's a very sad way of thinking, in my opinion, but it still happens. *shrug*

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the numbers have to say.

Comment

I fear Atlantis is the stargate equalivent to startrek Voyager.Its the same universe but outside the formiliar things that we liked about it.
          The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

"It isn't SG-1" or "It doesn't have Jack/Daniel in it". It's a very sad way of thinking, in my opinion, but it still happens. *shrug*
            Well, i'm not part of that group of people, even though i'm not 'fond' of SG: Atlantis 'YET', i need to watch it first , even if i don't like the show as much as SG1, i'll still probably enjoy it

Comment

I've lost track of the number of people I've seen say that they'll watch the pilot ep because it has Jack and Daniel in it, but they won't watch the rest of it because, "It isn't SG-1" or "It doesn't have Jack/Daniel in it". It's a very sad way of thinking, in my opinion, but it still happens. *shrug*

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the numbers have to say.
              Any sadder than "It's not how SG-1 used to be!?"...haha, just giving you a hard time...
              "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Originally posted by petzke_42
                Any sadder than "It's not how SG-1 used to be!?"...haha, just giving you a hard time...
                Ah, but the thing is, I'm comparing SG-1 to SG-1 whereas they're comparing Atlantis to SG-1 sight unseen and determining that Atlantis sucks because it isn't SG-1. Newsflash: it isn't supposed to be! Now, SG-1 is SUPPOSED to be SG-1, but it isn't. THAT, I feel, is a problem.

Comment

Well in my opinion, SG1 is still good, in any form. How can people really judge SG Atlantis when it hasn't aired yet?

Comment

I suppose the same way certain people judge season 8 without it even airing...
                    "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Oh yes, 'spoilers'.

Comment

Here's a positive post ...
                        I just love blue aliens always have ever since Startrek circa 1970.

I just love the thought of Atlantis as a lost civilisation here on Earth.

I love Daniel, Jack, Teal'c and Sam when she is Sam and am looking forward to season eight .

I know this bit isnt positive but I dont think Atlantis will outshine season eight of SG1 from all the spoilers/pictures I have seen it doesnt grab me at all if that makes any sense.
                        sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

I don't know why, but every time I see that Wraith with the cheesecloth over its head it reminds me of Zhaan on Farscape. I think she had a face covering at some point, too. Momentarily.

Atlantis does not, in my opinion, stand a chance of ever outshining SG-1. It has too many strikes against it going into the game and I'm not confident in TPTB's abilities to overcome those strikes. I do, however, hope that it will at least survive. McKay on weekly TV has to be a good thing.

Comment

So sad they dumped the 'jonas on tv weekly' idea.

Comment

I think Atlantis has the potential to be Stargate's answer to "Next Generation" where on Star Trek, the spin-off is considered (by most, I'm not a Trek expert) the best of the series.

After seeing the latest trailer... It's looking very good!
                              "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

Of course its looking good, if it didn't, i don't think people would be too 'keen' of watching the show. The difference between this spin-off and Star Trek's, Stargate didn't have to have a movie to get a chance to make another tv show, where the first star trek show died in the first season, but got another chance once the star trek movie did good.

Comment

Working...
                                X