This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fun_Size
    Have you been watching Stargate at all its been said many a time that they use Ancient tech not just the rings the Sarcophagus for instance the hyperdrive the weapons its all based on Ancient tech but because they didnt design it its not as good. Do you really thuink Anubis would share his technology with Baal the Gouald despise each other
    A few pieces of Ancient tech were "borrowed" by the Goa'uld, and that means everything the Goa'uld have came from the Ancients? That's the "slippery slope" fallacy.

If visual effects can be trusted, then Goa'uld staff, death glider, and mothership weapons seem based on the same tech. However, what we've seen of Ancient tech is nothing like it. Goa'uld weapons are directed bursts of plasma. Ancient drones are a device that can be controlled remotely and use an unknown energy. The Ancient satellite fired a powerful energy beam that cut right through a ship. We also don't know from where the Goa'uld got hyperdrive. Quite frankly, we don't know much about where they got anything.

I still find it believable that a Goa'uld could make it to Atlantis, and I'm still not gonna pass any judgement on the idea until I see it's execution
    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by jpf190279
      Personally I think the writers need to go back to school and learn how to write believable stories instead of stories that always have humans saving the day against insane odds
      How can you insult writers when you dont understand them the reason they have humans win against all odds is because it makes humans look like heroes if they wanted the Asgaurd or the Tok'Ra to save us then the show would be about them people like to see heroes why do you think 24 is on its 4th series.
      I FEAR NO EVIL FOR I AM FEAR INCARNATE.

Comment

I don't want to see the Gou'ald in SGA on a regular basis - keep 'em in SG1. One episode might be okay - as long as the problem is removed when the problem is resolved. I understand Carl Binder is writing this one. . .I have faith.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

If the Goa'uld are indeed in Atlatis, then there should be no problem with leagl issues concerning writing in the story line the usage of Zat's against the Wraith.
          Just seems they would work better than their little tazers they have, use them on the Genii also, they would think twice about trying to steal C-4 again

Comment

Originally posted by jpf190279
            You obviously haven't been watching SG1 much lately, the Trust is backed by businessmen that use the NID to gain access to advance technology for the supposed defence of Earth, but is in fact primarily gained for financial profits. McKenzie met up with a few of these individual after they had been taken over by the goauld.

*Just for the record Stargate Command is about as secure as my lunch box at dinner times *

I agree the writers have forgotten how important it is to keep the program CLASSIFIED from the everyday public. A very early episode where a reporter appoarched O'neill about the SGC and was quickly dispatched shortly afterwards, is exactly the kind of real life tactics that would be used to keep it a secret. Now the writers pretty much tell every Tom Dick and Harry about the SGC and make out it isn't a big deal. Personally I've had a issue with SG1 since it started getting childish at the beginning of serie 6.

I say go back to the good old days before Earth was protected and knew how to build spaceships.
            you obviously dont know me very well. I have seen every episode of sg-1 and atlantis about 10 times so yes i am fully aware of the trust. What i am saying is that it should not be. A program like this in real life would never have this many leaks.
            Official F.O.R.D. Website

President (Ret.) and Founder
            The Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
            (F.O.R.D.)

Comment

Have you been watching Stargate at all its been said many a time that they use Ancient tech not just the rings the Sarcophagus for instance the hyperdrive the weapons its all based on Ancient tech but because they didnt design it its not as good. Do you really thuink Anubis would share his technology with Baal the Gouald despise each other
              ok you're right about the sarc, i did forget about that one but it has never onc been said that the goa'ulds weapons or hyperdrives were ancient based. for one thing, as far as the show has shown us the Ancients didnt even have hyperdrives! its a safe assumption that he they did have some kind of hyperdrive, but it has never been show or even addressed let alone say the goa'uld got theirs from ancient technology. now what has been said many times is that the goa'uld have taken technology from many many many civilizations, so other than sarc and rings what exactly did they get from the ancients? and please document the episode it was said in.

Comment

If you hate the past three series then why discuss it your not welcome on this forum your not a fan you a pitiful hope-to-be writer who derives satisfaction from pointing out the smallest similiarities. So what if they use ideas from other films consider it a sign of apreciation from fellow sci-fi writers there not the first go back to watching Buffy its writing probably suits your intelligence
                whats the better fan? the one that demands originality and skill from the show, or the one that slobbers fanboyishly over whatever piece of drek the ptb decide to foist on us. why dont you break out of your zombie unthinking obsession with the show and actually use some kind of critical appraisal for the show.

Comment

Hey everyone,
                  This sounds like the best episode ever! Whos cares how they found out about Atlantis, wait for the episode to come out and all will be revealed! Lets not go off and say i hate it already!!! EXCITEMENT!!!!
                  YAY! I cant wait!!!!
                  Ryan
                  [email protected]
                  'And you think god will save us?'
                  'You can do it Harry, your the king!'
                  'And remember, its good to be king!'
                  'You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water'
                  'Hmm, next step, parting the Red Sea'

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                    ok you're right about the sarc, i did forget about that one but it has never onc been said that the goa'ulds weapons or hyperdrives were ancient based. for one thing, as far as the show has shown us the Ancients didnt even have hyperdrives! its a safe assumption that he they did have some kind of hyperdrive, but it has never been show or even addressed let alone say the goa'uld got theirs from ancient technology. now what has been said many times is that the goa'uld have taken technology from many many many civilizations, so other than sarc and rings what exactly did they get from the ancients? and please document the episode it was said in.
                    Just for the record, we have seen an Ancient hyperdrive on the show. It propelled an entire city to the Pegasus galaxy so we could have a spinoff.
                    Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                      Just for the record, we have seen an Ancient hyperdrive on the show. It propelled an entire city to the Pegasus galaxy so we could have a spinoff.
                      we didnt realy see the city enter hyperspace, we just saw it leaving the planet so who knows how it actually got to pegasus. i know it makes sense that it would have hyper drive, but we havent actually seen it in the show.

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                        Er, crossovers can be avoided. They never used to do them but now do them in order to maximize profit (aka draw in another audience). I've seen some awful crossovers over the years, but still dont' want to see the Gou'ald as a presence on Atlantis. Once is allowable, but if they decide to bring them in (aka let that one escape to flee into Pegasus), it's not good writing, because they should be creating more inventive and newer bad guys.

It was like every single Trek spinoff bringing in the Klingons over and over.
                        No, I'm talking about in the Stargate franchise. The fact is we're going to have elements off one show in the other, and vice versa. Everyone keeps crying about 'why didn't they bring zats to Atlantis!' Well, they obviously wanted to keep the shows somewhat separated while still tying them together by using the same concepts (i.e. wormholes, etc.). Another thing that bugged me was when they showed the PJ in SG-1. Once, twice, was enough, but if it becomes regular.... But I don't think it will, so no worries.

Don't worry, I think the goa'uld maybe a minor arc at most, but won't be a major player. They've already moved on to the Ori in SG-1, so I think the goa'uld storyline is kinda dying down. They wouldn't 'dump' it, for lack of a better word, in Atlantis.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this ep for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                          we didnt realy see the city enter hyperspace, we just saw it leaving the planet so who knows how it actually got to pegasus. i know it makes sense that it would have hyper drive, but we havent actually seen it in the show.
                          In the opening of Rising, the city is show entering hyperspace. Also, there was a big worry in The Seige about the Wraith getting a hold of the hyperdrive from Atlantis cause their own hyperdrive tech wasn't really capable of doing intergalactic in a reasonable timeframe. It's quite thoroughly in the show.
                          Cogito ergo dubito.

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                            In the opening of Rising, the city is show entering hyperspace. Also, there was a big worry in The Seige about the Wraith getting a hold of the hyperdrive from Atlantis cause their own hyperdrive tech wasn't really capable of doing intergalactic in a reasonable timeframe. It's quite thoroughly in the show.
                            thats true, im just splitting hairs.

Comment

If you hate the past three series then why discuss it your not welcome on this forum your not a fan you a pitiful hope-to-be writer who derives satisfaction from pointing out the smallest similiarities. So what if they use ideas from other films consider it a sign of apreciation from fellow sci-fi writers there not the first go back to watching Buffy its writing probably suits your intelligence
                              Meow!

There is always room for originality. Granted it is much harder now than before, and btw Buffy was original for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by jefesito
                                you obviously dont know me very well. I have seen every episode of sg-1 and atlantis about 10 times so yes i am fully aware of the trust. What i am saying is that it should not be. A program like this in real life would never have this many leaks.
                                Not to start an argument but a SGC in the real world would of had Earth destroyed by now.

But yes it would have to be ULTRA secret. So secret that even the people working for it wouldn't have complete knowledge it all the happenings. I very much doubt anyone believe the CnC and very highest military brass would know everything that was happening. And even then, would you trust Pres. Bush with a Naquadah bomb? So maybe the CnC wouldn't even know as well.

It would end up being the original consquirancy theory with a shadow government existing in the shadows just to run the SG program. The shadow government would have access to the resources of the entire USA and possibly the world and would answer to no one.

And you could bet no other nation would EVER know about it.

Overall it is very very hard to say what it would be like. Running something like the SG in the real world would without a doubt bankrupt the US in a number of years, especially if they really did start building X303 and X302s. The B2 bomber aka Stealth Bomber cost $1,000,000,000.00 per plane to make, and they are extremely primitive craft compared to the X302s. A realworld X302 (if we knew how to build one) would cost 2-3 billion a plane to build, the X303s would cost 100+ billion a craft again assuming we really knew how to build one.

Comment

Working...
                                X