Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the asgard have very powerful generators but they are huge! the Beliskner was pwered by "four neutrino ion generators" and judging by the scale on the diagram carter was looking at each one was roughly the size of the SGC itself. so while they have the means to generate massive amounts of power, they dont have a system to do so effectively for us.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
      the asgard have very powerful generators but they are huge! the Beliskner was pwered by "four neutrino ion generators" and judging by the scale on the diagram carter was looking at each one was roughly the size of the SGC itself. so while they have the means to generate massive amounts of power, they dont have a system to do so effectively for us.
      Sure they do. We could get 1, 2 or maybe 100. Then we could tie water wings the bases of them, tie a rope between them and Atlantis and float them on that thing around Atlantis...the ocean.

Comment

Originally posted by dd78matt
        Sure they do. We could get 1, 2 or maybe 100. Then we could tie water wings the bases of them, tie a rope between them and Atlantis and float them on that thing around Atlantis...the ocean.
        well there would be the logistics problem of getting a hundred of them to atlantis in the first place. even given their size the asgard ships couldnt take more than maybe two at a time and they only have about 5 or 6 ships left, and there is no way the prometheus or daedulus could handle even one of them and they wont fit through the gate.

Comment

cmon atlantis has to have info on how to increase the power out put of naqudah they were the first to use it 50 million years ago. Advancements had to have been made, the same thing is for naquadria who knows the ancients might have been the person the gould of langara learned it from. and peagaus is a new galazy there has to planets with naquadah or Neutronium, or an even more powerful energy source. so they can probably make generators.

Comment

There's a limit to the amount of energy you can generate with naquadah or naquadria based on the mass of the fuel you have, there is no such limit with the ZPM.

Comment

Cause then it would too easy and the writers cant have that! Duh!
              "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                well there would be the logistics problem of getting a hundred of them to atlantis in the first place. even given their size the asgard ships couldnt take more than maybe two at a time and they only have about 5 or 6 ships left, and there is no way the prometheus or daedulus could handle even one of them and they wont fit through the gate.
                Haha...Spg, it was a joke.

Comment

Earlier, one of you guys mention about the Mk II coming out of nowhere. I understand it was hard to see how SG-1 was able to come up with a powerful power source so fast. I guess they had a lot of story to squeeze in so little time, they neglected to mention the technical details of such.

The Mk II isn't that fascinating. In "The Seige Part I", McKay quoted that it's basically a regular naquidah generator on barely controlled overload. Meaning they rigged the naquidah to explode but controlled to a point where it doesn't reach critical levels and since it's on overload, it's kinda like connecting a short on a battery. All the juice is sucked out in a small amount of time.

Anyways, I don't know about you, but I'd rather not see an episode devoted to explaining how they built the Mk II. But in case you were wondering, then wonder no more cause it's like putting a big transformer on a 12v battery.

Comment

Yep, the naquida generators are more of a chemical battery than a generator... and you can use a battery the same way, have a certain current sustain itself for a very long time or power something with a huge current for a short time.

Hence my idea of them dialing the gate to get back to pegasus using a mk II is valid and plausible.

Comment

The reason why the Mk 2 was on barely controlled overload was because it was powering the chair, which is normally powered by a something that can blow up a solar system, the Mk 2 won't be on barely controlled overload if it was powering something else. Plus I highly doubt that the naquadah generator is a chemical battery since it produces radiation and it generates a huge EMP when they blow it up.

Comment

Indeed.

Actually, some of the evidence suggests that the Asgard power sources, while considerably larger and more massive, may actually be MORE powerful than a ZPM. Figure that we have a ZPM boosting the engines of the Daedalus and yet it still takes several days for the ship to arrive. The Asgard have shown that they they can travel between galaxies in a matter of minutes, maybe hours at the worst. That means one of three possibilities. 1) Their power source is more powerful than a ZPM and thus can provide more of a boost to the hyperdrive engines, 2) they actually DIDN'T give us their latest hyperdrive tech, rather like giving the old beater to the teenager who just got his license and needs a car, 3) They DID give us the latest technology and their power soruce ISN'T more powerful than a ZPM, but the shape/design of the ship plays a role in how quickly it can travel through hyperspace. My money's on number 1. Their power source is more powerful but also much much MUCH larger than a ZPM. E.g. a car battery can provide a LOT more power than the little lithium ion battery on your cell phone, but it's also much larger and heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                          The reason why the Mk 2 was on barely controlled overload was because it was powering the chair, which is normally powered by a something that can blow up a solar system, the Mk 2 won't be on barely controlled overload if it was powering something else. Plus I highly doubt that the naquadah generator is a chemical battery since it produces radiation and it generates a huge EMP when they blow it up.
                          no the barely controlled overload didnt have anything to do with the chair. McKay said that the Mk II was designed to operate at a barely controlled overload, which is how they were able to increase the power output so greatly. it wouldnt matter what they hooked it up to, it would still work that way. and i think they've said before that a naquada generator is similar to a nuclear reaction, just cleaner and much more powerful, so i agree that it would not be considered a chemical battery.

Comment

I'm glad you mentioned that to him before I did, but if you understand anything about electronics then understand this. When I said battery, I was merely suggesting power source not chemcal batteries, but in terms any laymen can understand. And also, all power sources, either it be chemical batteries or nuclear reactors, produce electrical potential (voltage) which requires two terminals, a positive and a negative, to have differing potential energy.

Nuclear reactors, or at least the modern day ones, produces heat to turn the shank of a generator which provides ac power. Batteries, which really means array, is an array of tiny power cells that is chemically induced to provide potential differences. Naquidah reactors, although not merely the same as our nuclear reactors, expend energy in massive amounts both in the form of heat and electricity. All these power sources, as existing since the creation of time, require two terminals be used to extract the power. Hence, when I said it's like a battery, it really is so. And I should know since I major in Electrical Engineering and Advance Particle Physics.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                              Indeed.

Actually, some of the evidence suggests that the Asgard power sources, while considerably larger and more massive, may actually be MORE powerful than a ZPM. Figure that we have a ZPM boosting the engines of the Daedalus and yet it still takes several days for the ship to arrive. The Asgard have shown that they they can travel between galaxies in a matter of minutes, maybe hours at the worst. That means one of three possibilities. 1) Their power source is more powerful than a ZPM and thus can provide more of a boost to the hyperdrive engines, 2) they actually DIDN'T give us their latest hyperdrive tech, rather like giving the old beater to the teenager who just got his license and needs a car, 3) They DID give us the latest technology and their power soruce ISN'T more powerful than a ZPM, but the shape/design of the ship plays a role in how quickly it can travel through hyperspace. My money's on number 1. Their power source is more powerful but also much much MUCH larger than a ZPM. E.g. a car battery can provide a LOT more power than the little lithium ion battery on your cell phone, but it's also much larger and heavier.
                              I don't understan why people think you can take any engine, provide more power, and make it go faster. That's untrue.

Think of it this way. If you take a computer, already running full capacity, and give it a ZPM for it to run on, it won't process information any faster or do anything else faster.

Simply put, the only reason the Daedalus goes faster with a ZPM is because our power source wasn't able to make it run at full capacity. If we hooked a power source to it that was 10 times as powerful, it wouldn't make it work any better than the ZPM, because the ZPM has the engines already running on full capacity.

Comment

I think your onto something avatar28. It could be also like, somebody putting a v8 engine in a jelopy, or putting a rocket engine on a biplane. Sure its going tobe fast, but its not going tobe faster then a real jetplane. Thats the kind of thing the asgard are doing. There basically putting a rocket on a biplane, sure its going tobe fast, but is it going tobe faster then the acutal thing. Im sure the producers have an explanation for this, like the asgard are too busy rebuilding there empire to send ships to the ida galaxy. Sure it might take maybe minutes to get to ida, but if they did, it would be the end of the entire atlantis current storyline.

Originally posted by Avatar28
                                Indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X