This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smushybird
    For Pete's sake...we're getting "key backstory" on new character Ronon Dex early on in Season 2 and we still have virtually no backstory for John Sheppard and other major characters we've been following for an entire season. Already the new guy's getting entire eps revolving around him. The writers do remember certain other characters by the names of Sheppard, McKay, Beckett, Zelenka, Bates, Weir, Teyla, et al, right? These are characters we'd like a little history on, too. Unless I missed something and the name of the show's being changed from Stargate Atlantis to "Make Room for Ronon".

Just the idea makes me cranky as McKay. Hmph.
    WORD! Although I've heard TEYLA will be quite involved with Dex stuff. And I actually know quite a bit about Rodney and even WEIR and such. Not a thing about Shep's background but I'm having RONON shoved down my throat in two eps already. I'm really REALLY hoping the first part of season 1 plays out vastly differently than spoilers suggest so far.

Heh..maybe they will. Had great SHEP Spoilers last season and yeah..got some good moments. But not one single ep devoted to him and developing his character/background.

Comment

we have had backstory already in the form of episode where they are all asleep on a planet of beings in the atmosphere wher they think they can call home. For chrissakes its one episode about a dude, whereas we have many series to develop other characters. Since they were original characers they are easier to swallow. Part of the reason of backstory for DE is an outsider suddenly coming in is hard for audiences to accept, if we feel we know him a little better then we may accept him on the team. Also there may be plot devices hidden in his backstory. ALso others are from earth so it si easier to identify with them, we know about teyla as we know about athosians but we do not know about Dex so I dont see a problem personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganjaman
        we have had backstory already in the form of episode where they are all asleep on a planet of beings in the atmosphere wher they think they can call home. For chrissakes its one episode about a dude, whereas we have many series to develop other characters. Since they were original characers they are easier to swallow. Part of the reason of backstory for DE is an outsider suddenly coming in is hard for audiences to accept, if we feel we know him a little better then we may accept him on the team. Also there may be plot devices hidden in his backstory. ALso others are from earth so it si easier to identify with them, we know about teyla as we know about athosians but we do not know about Dex so I dont see a problem personally.
        That wasn't a back story for any of them really. Just a warped version of what they were thinking about. I'm happy that you're good with this. I just don't happen to be. I don't want the DEX character. I have no interest in the DEX character. I see no real purpose for the character. We have plenty of MAIN characters to learn about. The one's I actually care about. And some supporting players like Zalenka.

I don't want an introduction to Dex. I want him to go away. I want to know more about the main characters. That's MY feeling on it. For those who like the guy and such...good for you. I wish I could be happy too.

Wanted to add. He's in RUNNER too. Big focus.So there's TWO eps already out of seven.

Comment

Runner also seems to a Ford centric episodes. There's Aurora, if it is about an Ancient ship, then it'll probably include Sheppard.

Comment

Joe Mallozzi said that Siege III and Runner will have a darker Ford.

And Ford will most likely appear in Intruder as well, as it takes place between siege III and Runner.

Comment

Ask Joe Mallozzi - Spoilers for SG-1 (S8, S9) and SGA (S1, S2)

Originally posted by Merlin7
              Hi Joe. I love SGA and my fave character is Sheppard. I was intrigued by him and his GENE from the moment I watched RISING and Joe Flanigan is an amazing actor. That said...will there actually be ANY eps devoted to Sheppard this season? Thanks.
              Originally posted by JMallozzi
              Yup. For starters, check out an episode titled Epiphany, written by Brad Wright.
              "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Thanks..just saw them. But the jury is still out. LOL

Comment

I think everyone should wait a bit. JF has an article about his upcoming development, he is the star, he's not going anywhere. Someone else mentioned the mystery angle, and that's most likely correct. DEX needs to be introduced in some way, like Carson, who had an episode very early on. Christ, if he is just on the screen, everyone would be going on about "why is he even there"? blah blah blah. Give the guy a break, Sheppard will soon shine. BTW--half of the episode AGAIN focuses on McKay doing something IMPORTANT. If there's an imbalance of character focus, take some lines away from MCKAY, not the guy we've never seen before. Hell, doesn't MCKAY have DUET, then half of TRINITY? Geez.

Comment

That stuff is the writers' fault. I like Ford, but now he's in the trash, and I don't think he's coming back unless there's a huge groundswell of support. That development for S2? If he's not onscreen, it's too easy for him to go bye-bye in some crapa** way. About Beckett...well, he also whines alot, is constantly worried about his pudjumper flying capability, has a very delicate mother that needs ointment or something, and he...whines alot. Shep? He likes Chaya whatsherface and doesn't have anybody back home, however, he is the star. I don't know what TPTB are doing. I swear, it's the McKay focus. People are watching, PTB. Don't be afraid that we'll turn off the television if we don't see a former Stargate person in Atlantis. Most likely, the holy ones will feature DEX in RUNNER, then show something about his past in TRINITY, then go back to that sort of balding dude that talks too fast. Wait a minute...I know his name...it's coming to me...oh...well...darn...I see him so little onscreen it escapes me (wink). RUNNER and TRINITY will be for DEX what Poisoning the Well was for Beckett.

Comment

more spoilers: http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/ip...ndex.php?cat=9

Comment

Originally posted by shockwave
                        test firing? glowing generator? hmmm maybe they found a weapon.
                        come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

The question is can they make it work.
                          "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

For Pete's sake...we're getting "key backstory" on new character Ronon Dex early on in Season 2 and we still have virtually no backstory for John Sheppard and other major characters we've been following for an entire season. Already the new guy's getting entire eps revolving around him. The writers do remember certain other characters by the names of Sheppard, McKay, Beckett, Zelenka, Bates, Weir, Teyla, et al, right? These are characters we'd like a little history on, too. Unless I missed something and the name of the show's being changed from Stargate Atlantis to "Make Room for Ronon".

Just the idea makes me cranky as McKay. Hmph.
                            '
                            Actually, what the writers are doing is a key mistake that has been repeated through television history, and they never seem to learn. A character doesn't work out so they replace them. In their fervor not to make the same mistake, they develop this character (oops, forgot to say, this is what happens in scifi fandom) more so than the established ones. The writers need to realize that we were drawn in by the original folks, and that the 'new guy' should be brought in slowly.

I also see Dex falling into the same category as Teal'c, the tall black guy with dreadlocks from "Andromeda", etc. - the mysterious warrior/alien/etc who's got a grudge of some sort. Of course, hope I'm wrong on this.

It's easy enough to develop charactgers with ever tiny discussions with someone mentioning something from their past as a throwaway line.

Comment

Originally posted by aitana10
                              Shep? /snip/ doesn't have anybody back home
                              We don't know that for sure.

For Pete's sake...we're getting "key backstory" on new character Ronon Dex early on in Season 2 and we still have virtually no backstory for John Sheppard
                              Sheppard's backstory has been sketchy and veiled in mystery, I agree. But I have to admit - that's part of the reason why he intrigues me so. I think I would be disappointed if the writers handed me information on a silver platter and I got the full scoop (or most of it) all at once. I much rather there be revelations along the way and in a way that serves the storyline overall.

Reading through this thread, there seems to be some concern over Sheppard getting pushed aside, and Dex being made into the focus of attention. I'm not the least bit worried about this happening. Sheppard's story, and his connection to Atlantis, has only just begun. I'm sure of it.

I can understand your concerns, though. These spoilers do seem to focus on Ronon quite a lot. But spoilers never tell the whole story. The Gift, for instance, turned out a whole lot more differently than I initially expected it to. For the better, I might add. And even if they DO tell the whole story , I think it's a good thing we're getting some information about the character right away. I wouldn't want him to get pushed into the background, the way Ford was. I say it's worth devoting an episode to avoid that happening all over again.

There's the possibility of him turning out to be a disappointing addition, but he might also offer up an interesting new dynamic. Until we know for sure, I'll be over here in the "wait and see" corner. I've got pillows and a couch. I'm very comfortable here.
                              Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

i dont know why people think shepard is being pushed aside because 1 or 2 episodes might deal with a new character!
                                come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

Working...
                                X