This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
    If one can't discuss fictional TV why should anyone dare to discuss religion and politics, people get killed arguing about those, so far I haven't seen any sci-fi fan being killed by another because they thought Picard is better then Kirk... or something.
    Don't demagogue the issue, please.

There's a vast difference between religion, politics, foreign policy, environmental policy, and other topics of substance that affect our world in profound ways, and getting all effing bent out of shape because of fictional technology on a television show that is entirely optional, and merely entertainment.

It appears that the original poster whining about how this is all 'ridiculous and laughable' doesn't even understand what hyperspace is, according to our very primitive and theoretical understanding of it. Others have eloquently stated in this thread that yes, travel to Atlantis is possible, with sufficient power. Hell, I am allergic to math and physics and I knew that much. But that's entirely beside the point.

The story of Stargate, Atlantis, or any other show that's worth a damn is a story of the human journey. Technology is just props. Sure whizbang things and aliens are are cool, and that's part of the appeal of the genre, but that's not the heart of the story. The essential storyline is the quest for technology to save our earth, AND also a quest for wisdom, courage, justice, enlightenment. Jack, Daniel, Teal'c, Sam, Weir, McKay, Sheppard - they're all on the same journey - to be more than they are, to overcome their own internal limitations and external adversaries, to find those things that will save their people and move us to a higher plane. If the story were set in prehistoric times when all we had were stone knives and bearskins for tools, then the story would essentially be the same: fight foes (other prehistoric tribes, saber-toothed tigers, cold, hunger, sickness) through courage and wisdom, and save one's people. And it would be the same story, with slightly different details, if the story were set in Biblical times, King Arthur's Britain, the Civil War, WWII.

Read Joseph Campbell. He says it much, much better than I can.

All the technology in the world cannot save a soulless show. Stargate and Atlantis are great entertainment because they use cool technology and aliens in service of the storylines. There have been flubs as with any human enterprise, but the stories about the people are strong, consistent and compelling.

I talked to a film producer a few years ago about how a couple of films about the internet (Sandra Bullock's "The Net" is the only one I can recall by name) had not gotten a good reception, and asked would studios continue to explore that sort of story. And he said to me that the flaw was basically the storyline and characters of the film, that someone had greenlighted a story based on whizbang got-lots-of-buzz technology instead of a strong story with clear and compelling characters. He told me to think about "Broadcast News" and said "That was about television news producers. But the same story could have been told in a hospital, a law office, or a diner. Because it was a good story. Take a story, strip out the props and setting, and if it still stands, it's a good story."

Stargate and Atlantis stand. So do other good shows. That's why I watch. I recognize the complete theoretical nature of the technology and as long as the technology serves a good strong story, I'll go with it.

If a viewer is, for whatever reason, paying more attention to the technology than the story, then that viewer has stopped being engaged with the characters and the story, and yes, indeed, it is time to start watching Desperate Housewives.
    ~*~*~*~*~*
    not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by hermajesty
      So perhaps its time for you to go read some different threads.
      Or not.

I responded at length as to why I think all this gnashing of teeth about fictional technology is total ******y in a reply to Anubis$ in this thread. I recommend it for your consideration.
      ~*~*~*~*~*
      not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
        Or not.

I responded at length as to why I think all this gnashing of teeth about fictional technology is total ******y in a reply to Anubis$ in this thread. I recommend it for your consideration.
        I see your point now. Thanks for the explanation.

I love maths and physics, and it's fun to discuss things like timetravel and intergalactic travel in the context of stargate, but i agree that the characters are more important than the technology.

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

Do the math yourself. If pegasus is 3.1 Mly away then we're travelling at 310,000,000c. If it's 3.56 then we're travelling at 356,000,000c. Pegasus is 3-something Mly away. That means we travel 3.1 Mly in 1% of a year, therefore the speed is 3.1Mly/0.01(or 3.1Mly*100, pick one)
          I'm not arguing with that. I'm laughing at the actual value of this number that you gave us last time:
          3x0,000,000 times the speed of light
          Am I the only one here who noticed this?
          There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

From what i understand of physics (and is not alot) in hyperspace travel the ship doesn't actualy go 2 a higher speed but the hyperdrive actualy bends space. U know, like that Tollan guy explained 2 Sam about how he send a message 2 the Nox (i'm really bad with names). So distances don't matter at all, just how much power u use. Quantum physics are confusing!
            Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
              By giving us humans (and the Asgard, and the Replicators...) these uber-mega-ultra-super-hyperdrives, the Powers That Be have completely removed any reason to even have a Stargate. Why bother with a stupid ring thingy that's so small that most equipment won't fit through it, especially when you can have a full-scale ship on the scene?
              You're forgetting a detail here, a ship takes time the Stargate doesn't. Sure, we have uber powerful ships that can get anywhere real fast, that doesn't make the gate useless. You forget that it takes time to get a crew, time to get the ship in orbit and far enough away from the planet to safely create a hyperspace window, time to get to where you want to go and still more time to put everyone down on the planet along with their material. It might not take years but it can easily take over a month just to get the crew and all the details organized. With the gate? SG-1 you have a go...
              You just pick up what you need, load it in a F.R.E.D and you're there. No need to get 100 + people involved to send three people off exploring. And you can send several different groups to several different places.

And to Pknuts who thinks Daedalus getting to Pegasus in 3 days is ridiculous:

So was Vernes idea of a man going to the moon, Da Vinci's dreams of men making machines that can fly, Columbus belief that the Earth was round, that the Earth was the center of the Universe and that it had been created in 7 days...

The question is: What the hell do you know? Are you omniscient? Many people throughout history have thought that the world worked the way the majority thought it worked at the time. How many times have such "scientific certainties" been proven wrong? How many times the "ridiculous" has proven itself true?

I am well aware of the distance between galaxies, I'm also well aware that it's not because we can't do it that no one can. Now or in the future. We are no omnipotent and the universe doesn't work according to our belief of how it should work. We have only a very limited amount of knowledge. We don't even know all the species, animal or not, living on our own planet and you have the gall to say that because we can't fathom ourselves ever getting there so fast then it must simply not be possible? We have no idea what humans, if they give themselves the chance, can achieve, it's a sure thing that in the future children will make fun of us saying " They really had no idea! Can you believe they thought it was impossible to go faster than light/travel to other dimensions/bend spoons with their minds? " We have no more idea of what IS possible than our anscestors did when they imagined such silly things as a man in orbit around the moon.
              May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                I'm not arguing with that. I'm laughing at the actual value of this number that you gave us last time:
                3x0,000,000 times the speed of light
                Am I the only one here who noticed this?
                You do know that X isn't multiplication. X is inserted for an unknown value

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                  Don't demagogue the issue, please.

There's a vast difference between religion, politics, foreign policy, environmental policy, and other topics of substance that affect our world in profound ways, and getting all effing bent out of shape because of fictional technology on a television show that is entirely optional, and merely entertainment.

It appears that the original poster whining about how this is all 'ridiculous and laughable' doesn't even understand what hyperspace is, according to our very primitive and theoretical understanding of it. Others have eloquently stated in this thread that yes, travel to Atlantis is possible, with sufficient power. Hell, I am allergic to math and physics and I knew that much. But that's entirely beside the point.

The story of Stargate, Atlantis, or any other show that's worth a damn is a story of the human journey. Technology is just props. Sure whizbang things and aliens are are cool, and that's part of the appeal of the genre, but that's not the heart of the story. The essential storyline is the quest for technology to save our earth, AND also a quest for wisdom, courage, justice, enlightenment. Jack, Daniel, Teal'c, Sam, Weir, McKay, Sheppard - they're all on the same journey - to be more than they are, to overcome their own internal limitations and external adversaries, to find those things that will save their people and move us to a higher plane. If the story were set in prehistoric times when all we had were stone knives and bearskins for tools, then the story would essentially be the same: fight foes (other prehistoric tribes, saber-toothed tigers, cold, hunger, sickness) through courage and wisdom, and save one's people. And it would be the same story, with slightly different details, if the story were set in Biblical times, King Arthur's Britain, the Civil War, WWII.

Read Joseph Campbell. He says it much, much better than I can.

All the technology in the world cannot save a soulless show. Stargate and Atlantis are great entertainment because they use cool technology and aliens in service of the storylines. There have been flubs as with any human enterprise, but the stories about the people are strong, consistent and compelling.

I talked to a film producer a few years ago about how a couple of films about the internet (Sandra Bullock's "The Net" is the only one I can recall by name) had not gotten a good reception, and asked would studios continue to explore that sort of story. And he said to me that the flaw was basically the storyline and characters of the film, that someone had greenlighted a story based on whizbang got-lots-of-buzz technology instead of a strong story with clear and compelling characters. He told me to think about "Broadcast News" and said "That was about television news producers. But the same story could have been told in a hospital, a law office, or a diner. Because it was a good story. Take a story, strip out the props and setting, and if it still stands, it's a good story."

Stargate and Atlantis stand. So do other good shows. That's why I watch. I recognize the complete theoretical nature of the technology and as long as the technology serves a good strong story, I'll go with it.

If a viewer is, for whatever reason, paying more attention to the technology than the story, then that viewer has stopped being engaged with the characters and the story, and yes, indeed, it is time to start watching Desperate Housewives.
                  Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
                  You're forgetting a detail here, a ship takes time the Stargate doesn't. Sure, we have uber powerful ships that can get anywhere real fast, that doesn't make the gate useless. You forget that it takes time to get a crew, time to get the ship in orbit and far enough away from the planet to safely create a hyperspace window, time to get to where you want to go and still more time to put everyone down on the planet along with their material. It might not take years but it can easily take over a month just to get the crew and all the details organized. With the gate? SG-1 you have a go...
                  You just pick up what you need, load it in a F.R.E.D and you're there. No need to get 100 + people involved to send three people off exploring. And you can send several different groups to several different places.

And to Pknuts who thinks Daedalus getting to Pegasus in 3 days is ridiculous:

So was Vernes idea of a man going to the moon, Da Vinci's dreams of men making machines that can fly, Columbus belief that the Earth was round, that the Earth was the center of the Universe and that it had been created in 7 days...

The question is: What the hell do you know? Are you omniscient? Many people throughout history have thought that the world worked the way the majority thought it worked at the time. How many times have such "scientific certainties" been proven wrong? How many times the "ridiculous" has proven itself true?

I am well aware of the distance between galaxies, I'm also well aware that it's not because we can't do it that no one can. Now or in the future. We are no omnipotent and the universe doesn't work according to our belief of how it should work. We have only a very limited amount of knowledge. We don't even know all the species, animal or not, living on our own planet and you have the gall to say that because we can't fathom ourselves ever getting there so fast then it must simply not be possible? We have no idea what humans, if they give themselves the chance, can achieve, it's a sure thing that in the future children will make fun of us saying " They really had no idea! Can you believe they thought it was impossible to go faster than light/travel to other dimensions/bend spoons with their minds? " We have no more idea of what IS possible than our anscestors did when they imagined such silly things as a man in orbit around the moon.
                  I agree 100% with you two!

There are a hell of a lot of smart people discussing this thread... I enjoy SG1 and SGA for entertainment value. The fact that the "good guys" ALWAYS win, in spite of the odds is A GIVEN!! In fact, every tv show I watch ends with the good guys winning! Take a look at CSI, the super evil crims ALWAYS fall apart and tell everyone how/why they did what they in the end!! THEY ALWAYS CONFESS!! Yeah Right get real! But its damned entertaining and informative!

Anyway back to SGA, human beings are an ingenious race of people, plus many of us have ancient genes so it would stand to reason that if many of us are decended from ancients, the secrets of adapting alien technologies would be locked away in our pscyhe somewhere. It just needs the right key to be applied to the right person and bingo!

Anyway, I watch SCI Fi because ANYTHING is possible... if I wanted to watch Sci Fact... I'd watch Discovery Channel.

Finally, the statement about Language is also quite ludicurous! It doesnt take much processing power to work out that no one else except the Tauri speak English!! Tauri?? Earthlings? Humans? Dunno about you but I'd get a little tired and bored of reading subtitles if the 3/4 of the dialog was in ALIEN!! Is it too much to ask the viewer to ASSUME that everyone is using a universal language translator?

It kinda reminds me of my mum... she hates it when English & Australian singers sing with an American accent rather than like Sophie Ellis Bextor!

For goodness sake... THATS ENTERTAINMENT, sit back and enjoy it!
                  Last edited by Excaliiber; 13 March 2005, 10:52 PM.
                  Teal'c: I beleive it will now be necessary to report this incident!

Comment

To get to Pegasus (300 000 000 LY) in 96 Hours(4days) they would need to do 3125000 LY per hour

Comment

Pegasus isn't 300Mly away though.

Comment

Pegasus isn't 300Mly away though.
                        Actually it is 5,000,000 ly away (5,000 kly - according to a few sites I found on the subject) and is still considered a part of the Milky Way's cluster of galaxies . I think some people underestimate how huge our universe is. Our galaxy alone is 100,000 ly across, I'm still supprosed the writers thought it was necessary to travel to another galaxy, as thoufgh our own wasn't a big enough setting for the show.

http://www.falstad.com/scale/

http://kadc.kao.re.kr/paper/jkas/abstract/av28_16.htm

Comment

I thought our galaxy was about 300,000 ly across it's widest point, but maybe I'm wrong. But still, the Asgard can get from their galaxy to ours in minutes and the difference between the size of our galaxy and the distance between the RL Pegasus and RL Milky Way is ONLY one order of magnitude. It's not that far (in universe terms), it's basically just next door. now if you want to travel to a different gallactic cluster that is on the "otherside" of the universe moving away from us, then you're talking super astronamical distances.

Therefore, using Asgard hyperdrive technology, it is completely reasonable to get to Pegasus in 3 days, in fact I'm surprised it takes that long, it should be minutes, but obviously our hyperdrives aren't ass efficient as Asgard drives yet.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                            I thought our galaxy was about 300,000 ly across it's widest point, but maybe I'm wrong. But still, the Asgard can get from their galaxy to ours in minutes and the difference between the size of our galaxy and the distance between the RL Pegasus and RL Milky Way is ONLY one order of magnitude. It's not that far (in universe terms), it's basically just next door. now if you want to travel to a different gallactic cluster that is on the "otherside" of the universe moving away from us, then you're talking super astronamical distances.

Therefore, using Asgard hyperdrive technology, it is completely reasonable to get to Pegasus in 3 days, in fact I'm surprised it takes that long, it should be minutes, but obviously our hyperdrives aren't ass efficient as Asgard drives yet.
                            It is currently estimated to be 100,000 ly across by most scientific sources. That number is far from precise (after all, we're talking quadrillions, sometimes quintillions of miles, 1 light year = 5,865,696,000,000 miles!!!!! ) but is the accepted standard. Again, it seems like some people don't appreciate astronomical distances for what they are, but hey, sometimes ignorance is bliss!!

http://seds.lpl.arizona.edu/messier/more/mw.html

Comment

It's all about perspective. From one view, Pegasus is close by, from another, it's a great distance away. It all depends on the scale you're working with. I sometimes think micrometers are huge, long distances. So what's a couple of million light years in astronomical terms.

The point is, if it's been demonstrated that a Stargate can take you to another galaxy within seconds, why not a ship within days. Asgard can go from Ida to MW in minutes, so we can finally go from MW to Pegasus within days. That's completely and totally reasonable in Stargate Sci-Fi terms.

Comment

Originally posted by Excaliiber
                                I agree 100% with you two!

There are a hell of a lot of smart people discussing this thread... I enjoy SG1 and SGA for entertainment value. The fact that the "good guys" ALWAYS win, in spite of the odds is A GIVEN!! In fact, every tv show I watch ends with the good guys winning! Take a look at CSI, the super evil crims ALWAYS fall apart and tell everyone how/why they did what they in the end!! THEY ALWAYS CONFESS!! Yeah Right get real! But its damned entertaining and informative!

Anyway back to SGA, human beings are an ingenious race of people, plus many of us have ancient genes so it would stand to reason that if many of us are decended from ancients, the secrets of adapting alien technologies would be locked away in our pscyhe somewhere. It just needs the right key to be applied to the right person and bingo!

Anyway, I watch SCI Fi because ANYTHING is possible... if I wanted to watch Sci Fact... I'd watch Discovery Channel.

Finally, the statement about Language is also quite ludicurous! It doesnt take much processing power to work out that no one else except the Tauri speak English!! Tauri?? Earthlings? Humans? Dunno about you but I'd get a little tired and bored of reading subtitles if the 3/4 of the dialog was in ALIEN!! Is it too much to ask the viewer to ASSUME that everyone is using a universal language translator?

It kinda reminds me of my mum... she hates it when English & Australian singers sing with an American accent rather than like Sophie Ellis Bextor!

For goodness sake... THATS ENTERTAINMENT, sit back and enjoy it!
                                The way people jump on the inconsistincies of a sci-fi show is too much for me. Considering since there's a lot about the world and natural law we don't understand we really can't even guess as to how half the stuff in the SG universe works. Physics and the vast amount of other theories we use to understand our universe have had to be revised many times to accommodate change.

So basically that's my way of agreeing with the majority of the people in this thread in the fact that this show is sci-fi and should not lead to troubling moments of drama between people.

As for the english speaking thing. It seems like advanced races i.e. Tollan, Aschen, etc. have only learned english to better communicate with other races. They most liekly have/had their own language, it just wasn't expanded on by the writers.
                                "Throughout history the detection of design has been a rather intuitive business. As is said of pornography, we couldn’t define it, but we knew it when we saw it."
                                -Michael Behe: Professor of Biochemistry-
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Teal'C: O'Neill, Narim said for the device to work we have to hold hands.
                                Jack (long pause):......I know.

http://www.10thumbsup.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X