Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We only use a small fraction of our brain so of course it is hard for us to comprehend going at such speeds. If we use 100% we may be able to figure out a way of travelling to the other side of the universe in a matter of minutes. The point is the reason it seems ridiculous to you is because our brains don't function at the same levels the ancients are suppose to, usually when someone doesn't understand sumthing they ridicule it.

What I can't work out is how a ship would stay intact travelling at those speeds but once again it's due to me not using all my brain.

Comment

Originally posted by Wandering Tamer
      Um, people? The Asgard do travel galaxies in minutes. In Thors chariot, Thor says that he's in his home galaxy. Ten minutes later he shows up.
      As for three days. Sam says it's the Asgard hyperdrive, so it's not unreasonable.

This stuff is realistic if you pay attention to the details and framework SG has layed in the past few years, and don't pay attention to the facts of our universe.

Pknuts, please pay attention to what has been stated in the show and then complain.
      I really don't pay enough attention - thanks for explaining!

I don't have a problem with it as long as its consistant with the rest of stargate. Anyway, there are much more ridiculous things to explain away, like the intergalactic usage of english! When you watch sci-fi you just have to suspend your disbelief a little and enjoy it. I'm more worried about the plot repercussions of all this technology. If the stargate teams have too much power and technology it will be difficult to come up with any decent plots, because someone will just say "Why didn't you come and save them with such-and-such device." The show is only interesting if the characters are truly in danger and truly vulnerable - so TPTB shouldn't make them too all-powerful.

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

One thing you people seem to forget is that the asgaard are thousands of years more advanced. Look at how human travel has changed over the last 200 years. Do you think people in the 19th century ever thought it was possible to have something man made that can fly to different countries let alone something like a space shuttle. People need to broaden there minds as are understanding of physics is still in its early stages.

Comment

I think the most important part of all this is that we can't go looking for advanced technology for 10 years in the SG universe without making any significant gains, which is why I was happy to see that they were acctually showing some real results with the Prometheus in season 6, I mean, I don't want to see Atlantis become all powerful forever, but it's nice to acctually see some progress on long running storylines. That was one of my problems with ST Voyager, the ship never changed, they hardly ever found any new technology, and whenever they did get substantially home it was a one off lucky twist of fate.

Star Trek Reborn

Comment

Originally posted by @Li3n
            Ridiculous? If they have an Asgard hyper-drive it's ridiculously to much time compared 2 asgard tech that we've seen. Anyway it's sci-fi so ANYTHING is possible. Also i don't think they are powerup from a ZPM they are just bringing it 2 Atlantis.
            A quote from "The Siege (Part 2)"
            Spoiler:
            "... and with a ZPM powering her engines she'll be here inside 4 days, and how long we have to hold out. When the Daedelus arrives we can use to ZPM to power the city shield." - Colonel Dillan Everett
            sigpic
            In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

It's amazing this guy questions traveling fast between galaixies yet he seems fine with the Stargate itself. Don't feed the troll.
              Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

They were on their way to pegasus in the promethius but after that attack they had to go back to earth for repairs, it was only going to take something like a few weeks before they had the zpm, now with the zpm supercharging the engines they can get there all the quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
                  It just seems like a convenient plot device because they needed to get the ZPM to Atlantis quickly.

It just amazes me that in 9 years since we discovered the Stargate, we now have ships that can travel to another galaxy in 3 days. It's all a bit ridiculous I find, and consistent with the way Stargate has gone WAAAY downhill in the past couple of years, to the point where it's all just become one big parody of itself.

Now all we need is for Earth to suddenly have 100 Daedalus ships (which, knowing recent SG-1 would probably take a year or something to build).
                  I've brought this up myself. I try to let it be known I'm still a fan when I do express concern over how far fetched the show is getting... I mean, I love Stargate, and have even enjoyed season 8 (for the most part), but the science behind the show is starting to become ludicrous.

When the Stargate movie came out, one of the bast parts about it was how well it managed to suspend your disbelief, but now, when the writers throw these generic, "I watched too much Star Trek when I was a kid" stuff out there, I have to roll my eyes. Not many would disagree that Stargate has been in the midst of a downward trend as of late, it makes me sad to think about where the show may be in 5 years if they continue down this path.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit
                    We only use a small fraction of our brain so of course it is hard for us to comprehend going at such speeds. If we use 100% we may be able to figure out a way of travelling to the other side of the universe in a matter of minutes.
                    That's a myth. We actually use most of our brain (well, all of it).

The point of the parent post is that humans possessing the technology to travel between galaxies in a matter of days would make them unbeatable compared with the other enemies that they faced - namely the Goa'uld and Wraith. You could drop explosive yeilds around an enemy before they could respond. You could overtake and wait until your enemy drops out of hyperspace and blow them up before they can raise their shields again (as the Asguard did against the Replicators). There are probably lots of other tactics possible that would decimate any of Earth's enemies.

A little bit of technology is OK for Earth, but they are starting to get too much. Part of the charm of Stargate is that the forces of Earth are the underdogs. TPTB are starting to make them more dominate than the other races in the galaxy. It's becomming STTNG which wouldn't be a bad thing if this wasn't Stargate. But this is Stargate. The producers should abide by the rules that they set out for themselves.
                    Last edited by Lord You; 12 March 2005, 10:54 AM.

Comment

To help you understand how potential wormhole physics works (if they exist and can be generated) think of space as a flat peice of paper, take both ends and make them meet... then take a pin and stick it through that.

Comment

I also agree with this Galaxy to Galaxy thing is ridiculous, not because of the time it takes to travel. The ZPM is a the ultimate power source, we've saw what it can do and nothing really comapres with it still in the Stargate Universe.

My problem is about the time it takes for the Humans to make use of the Stargate.

Its only about a week between SGA sending the message home about their expedition and the wraith arriving(not 100% sure but it wont be far off), the SGC will get the data instantly and will have it decompressed and analysed within 2 days. As soon as they find out about the SGA's trouble they would send the troops out if they had the ZPM, as they dont we can safely assume the SGC doesnt have a ZPM yet.

SG1 do the whole moebius thing etc and the ZPM is dug up, a team is set up and sent to Pegasus ASAP give them a day to set it up. That gives them ONE DAY to adapt the Asgard/human engines to accept the ZPM.

Thats Laughable

Comment

The whole idea behind the stargate as well as ftl travel is that you don't travel through normal space where there's a speed limit, you go through hyperspace, where the laws of physics are different and allows for much fast travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Juice
                            I also agree with this Galaxy to Galaxy thing is ridiculous, not because of the time it takes to travel. The ZPM is a the ultimate power source, we've saw what it can do and nothing really comapres with it still in the Stargate Universe.

My problem is about the time it takes for the Humans to make use of the Stargate.

Its only about a week between SGA sending the message home about their expedition and the wraith arriving(not 100% sure but it wont be far off), the SGC will get the data instantly and will have it decompressed and analysed within 2 days. As soon as they find out about the SGA's trouble they would send the troops out if they had the ZPM, as they dont we can safely assume the SGC doesnt have a ZPM yet.

SG1 do the whole moebius thing etc and the ZPM is dug up, a team is set up and sent to Pegasus ASAP give them a day to set it up. That gives them ONE DAY to adapt the Asgard/human engines to accept the ZPM.

Thats Laughable
                            It's amazing how you're able to figure that out even though the show gives you no time frame whatsoever. Plus they got the ZPM two weeks before the beginning of Moebius maybe even before Reckoning.

Comment

They got the ZPM during a dig, which was right at the end of Threads.

Threads occured probs a week or two before Siege.
                              Letters from Pegasus was possibly before Threads.

When they realised they had "Precious little time left" they shot some marines through with sme new guns, then quickly stuffed the ZPM into the Daedalus.
                              It was probably already designed to take a ZPM any way, theyve had one for a year.

The whole point of SGA was to find guns and ZPMs to power the Antartic Outpost and other things.
                              The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father

Comment

We don't know the time frame the two shows are working with. It's possible that the dig was before Reckoning since Reckoning and Threads could have taken place over a period of only one week. We also don't know the time at which the Atlantis episodes took place relative to SG1 episodes, it's possible that Letter From Pegasus happened after Threads, it's even possible that half of the Atlantis episodes happened after Threads.

Comment

Working...
                                X