This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SGSlugger
    Could Daniel have translated that wrong? If latin is based on Ancient, and there's no 'the' 'a' or 'an' in latin, could there be no 'the', 'a', or 'an' in Ancient? So in that case could it read:

We are Ancient(s)
    We are a Ancient(s)
    We are an Ancient(s)
    We are the Ancient(s)

I guess that I'm saying you don't really need the 'the' to get the point across that it's a name of the species.
    Look, Daniel translated it to mean "We are the Ancients" when Jack said "Nou ani anquitas"

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
      Look, Daniel translated it to mean "We are the Ancients" when Jack said "Nou ani anquitas"
      But he has already admitted that some of his early translations of Ancient script were inaccurate.
      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
        But he has already admitted that some of his early translations of Ancient script were inaccurate.
        some not all besides if you were translating something wouldnt you make exceptions to add the odd word here and there so that it fit english grammer

Comment

My belief is that "The Ancients" are ancient humans, either from earth, or from elsewhere.

When they discovered that they had no cure for the plague that nearly erradicated them, they decided that to save their race they had to start over.

They made clones of themself and placed the clones on earth (like Adam and Eve or something).

The ancients are not different from todays humans in any way we know of.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoidman
            When they discovered that they had no cure for the plague that nearly erradicated them, they decided that to save their race they had to start over.

They made clones of themself and placed the clones on earth (like Adam and Eve or something).
            But the last of the Ancients seem to predate modern humans by several hundred thousand years at least. Moreover, if you want to dodge a plague the last thing you want to do is make clones; one of the weaknesses of asexual reproduction is that your offspring share all of the same vulnerabilities as their parent.

Comment

I believe our tales of "Martians" derive from the Asgard who visited a long, long time ago. To visit the Ancients. I think the Ancients advanced on Earth, therefore there are three 'Gates on earth (or were) being the 'Gate "Homeworld", and they left when we began to advance. The Asgard came back to find them, but they weren't there...
              ------- www.scificore.com ---------
              Quote:
              O'NEILL: Daniel?
              DANIEL: Jack?
              O'NEILL: Whatcha doing?

Comment

When were there three gates on Earth?
                The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

But the last of the Ancients seem to predate modern humans by several hundred thousand years at least.
                  Are you refering to the ancient woman from "Frozen"?

Moreover, if you want to dodge a plague the last thing you want to do is make clones; one of the weaknesses of asexual reproduction is that your offspring share all of the same vulnerabilities as their parent.
                  I know, but they could have cloned one of their ancestors that wasn't affected by the plague, just like the Asgards are attempting to do.

Originally posted by Shadow2751
                  I believe our tales of "Martians" derive from the Asgard who visited a long, long time ago. To visit the Ancients. I think the Ancients advanced on Earth, therefore there are three 'Gates on earth (or were) being the 'Gate "Homeworld", and they left when we began to advance. The Asgard came back to find them, but they weren't there...
                  Good theory. I think that maybe the Asgards was supposed to "look after" us while the Ancients were ascended. Kind of like babysitting
                  Last edited by Zoidman; 17 May 2004, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                    When were there three gates on Earth?
                    When Atlantis was stationed on Earth.

Or maybe not, the goa'uld brought the Egyptian gate after(?) Atlantis left Earth. In that case, there were only 2 gates on Earth at the same time.
                    Last edited by Zoidman; 17 May 2004, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Are you refering to the ancient woman from "Frozen"?
                      That's the bunny.

Good theory. I think that maybe the Asgards was supposed to "look after" us while the Ancients were ascended. Kind of like babysitting
                      Possible spoilers

But that still doesn't work because the Ancients predate the human race by far too long. Atlantis clearly left Earth millennia before humans evolved. I'll buy that alien tales are stories of slightly careless Asgard though, since they profess to have studied us for a long time.

Comment

This may not have anything to do with this thread, but I got another theory about the Asgard.

We have many tales of "Martians" and stuff like that. And them being green and from Mars. Perhaps Mars was a research facility for watching Earth, and perhaps them being 'green' was because they came to Earth and that was their suits or something, to avoid catching all our little nasty flus and stuff we used to have...
                        ------- www.scificore.com ---------
                        Quote:
                        O'NEILL: Daniel?
                        DANIEL: Jack?
                        O'NEILL: Whatcha doing?

Comment

But that still doesn't work because the Ancients predate the human race by far too long. Atlantis clearly left Earth millennia before humans evolved.
                          How do you know that Atlantis left Earth millennia before? Am I missing something here?

Anyway, I think Atlantis came back to Earth about 10.000 years ago. Maybe to speed up our technological advancement, and then sank to the bottom of the ocean like in the "real" myth, and then left the planet at night so that the population of Earth wouldn't think they were gods or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie
                            POSSIBLE SPOILERS
                            for some reason i'm pretty sure they will...there are already some speculation that wraith wiped out the Ancients with the virus
                            A theory i have is, and which might be cool as a plot that the virus turned some of the Ancients into Wraiths, and that the Wraith back then pretty much started to threaten the existence of the Ancients.

Also i wonder how on Earth they figured out how to ascend or something.
                            If i recall well, not all Ancients ascended. Perhaps if my theory could go, they still see the Wraiths as one of their own. Hence why not all Ancients ascended. Just a thought
                            Teal'c: A serpent guard, a horus guard and a setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The horus guards beak glistens. The Setesh guard's nose drips.

Comment

granted that would be great, but the asgard seem pretty tight lipped about certain things. what i would LOVE to see is for the sg-1 to bring back some kind of technology that meets the outstanding mission objective. Then they can tell Kinsey to go shove it up his......

persephone

Comment

ancient weapon they found on earth meets that

Comment

Working...
                                X