Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments on the Ori and religion (major S9 spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comments on the Ori and religion (major S9 spoilers)

IMPORTANT NOTE: This post is about Stargate... and it's also about religion. I really can't say what I need to say without talking about both. Odds are some of what I'm about to say is controversial, so in the interests of making life a little easier for the mods, I've created an identical thread here in the Off Topic forum.

This thread (the one you're reading) is for posting discussion that specifically relates to Stargate. That thread is for posting discussion that doesn't specifically relate to Stargate.

A Little Background on Me:
    I'm a Christian. At least that's how I define myself when it comes to belief. I was in a Fundamentalist group through most of college, and then I got involved in some online discussions (this was back in the days of telnet, btw), and realized that a good deal of Fundamentalism is unnaturally rigid and doesn't allow for the possibility of differing interpretations - and many of my interpretations ended up being different from that of most of my friends. Or anybody else's, for that matter.

Plus, I always had serious problems (both theological and personal) with evangelism. I left the group for a number of reasons, but mostly because I found myself disagreeing with most of what was being said - and I'd discovered that a lot of people's faith simply can't stand up to a little doubt, even about the most insignificant details, because their faith doesn't allow for any flexibility. Not wanting to be responsible for making good people lose their faith, I left. That was about 10 years ago - currently, I'm in a serious off-again phase, but I still identify myself as basically Christian.

My Comments:
    When Season 9 started and we were introduced to the Ori, the first thing I noticed was the obvious resemblance between Harod and Sallis's community and medieval Europe, and the similarities between "prostration" and worship in the Catholic church.

Then, at the end of Avalon, Vala was burned to death. Which, of course, instantly called to mind witch burning and the Inquisition. And then she was healed - an obvious reference to resurrection and healing of the sick. If that wasn't enough, they even had Gregorian chants playing in the background.

I loved Avalon. I loved the interaction between Daniel and Vala, the introduction to Mitchell, and the extremely touching scene at the end of Avalon where they show Daniel ignoring everything else and going to Vala, and then they show from above him holding her, and nothing moves except his hand stroking hers. It was beautiful.

I even loved the Ori plotline at the end of Avalon. It seemed, at the time, that the show might have some good moral about the evils of evangelism in general.

...Then I watched Origin. The proverbial pink elephant, which was already quite large, got a bit bigger. We learned about the teachings of Origin, which bear remarkable resemblance to Fundamentalist teachings about Creation. Daniel questions some of the Priors' interpretations, which instantly brought to my mind the many, many debates that I've been in that were exactly like that discussion (almost word for word). I thought, "Ok, they're making a point about flexibility in belief and acknowledging that your interpretations might not be correct in everything, and not killing people over what you believe vs. what they believe. And it's a good point. Yay writers."

But then it turns out that there was no misinterpretation. That the Ori were, in fact, actively teaching the Priors (who were in turn teaching the people) that all unbelievers must be destroyed, as must all evidence that contradicts the active teachings of the Ori.

This is when I started to have a problem. Because suddenly, this story isn't attacking Christianity, or Islam, or Judaism, or any specific faith or belief, or the people who insist on the irrefutability of their interpretations to the extent of all others...

Instead, it's attacking God. Not just some people's idea of Him. But God Himself.

OTOH, there were a few notable differences between Origin and Biblical teachings that they called attention to. That was nice. I also liked the end of Origin where they kind of referenced God as a benevolent being looking out for us... it was good to have something to contrast God with the Ori, instead of just creating parallels between them.

So, I thought, "Well, maybe I'm looking into this a little too much. I could just choose to not see the parallels that are leaping out at me. Or I could just consider this a work of frivolous fiction - even though I hate having to do that with a show that I started watching in the first place because I loved how it makes me really think about things."

And then I thought, "Hey! Maybe the Ori are really meant to represent followers of a religion, and it's really the philosophy of Ascension that's the basis for the religion itself. Ascension is, after all, based on a plotline that's mostly grounded in philosophy, not theology. Maybe the Ori really do want to help people ascend, but they've lost sight of the fact that people can't be saved by something they're following for the wrong reasons. As well as the fact that you can't force somebody to believe something, and it's wrong to try, because it ends up doing more harm than good." (see above re: me having problems with evangelism).

And I continued to think that. Right up until "The Fourth Horseman". Not minding, and in fact even appreciating, the ever-growing pink elephant.

But then "The Fourth Horseman" happened. And, it turns out, the Ori have been lying to everybody!

This is where I started to really have a problem. Because the allegorical nature of the story didn't stop there. Oh no. It just got worse.
    • The plotlines of "The Powers that Be" and "The Scourge" are taken directly from the book of Exodus. Minus the whole reason for the Plagues, of course ("Let my people go") - in the show, it's just punishment for not believing. However, most people are not going to think of "Let my people go," when they watch the show - they'll just notice the similarities between what's happening in the show and the Plagues. They won't stop to think about the differences.
    • The "doomsday" prophecies call the book of Revelations to mind.
    • And I trust I don't even need to mention the healing of the sick, the preachings from the Book of Origin, the motivations of the followers, and of course the whole immaculate conception thing.

And it turns out the Ori, who are clearly meant as a metaphor for God, are lying. That they have no motivation that could be considered benevolent.

This is just wrong, on so many levels.

I can understand how somebody might resent some of the actions in the Bible on the grounds that they were harsh. What I cannot accept, understand, or condone is the implication that God is somehow deceitful. There is no justification for that, no evidence to support that idea in the least, and it's... slander. Against somebody who really, really, really does not deserve it.

I loved the Ori plotline in the first part of Season 9. Since the Fourth Horseman, though, I've been watching the show in spite of the Ori plotline. And, in fact, I have to rationalize in order to justify continuing to watch to myself. Nobody should ever have to rationalize in order to justify enjoying a show. When they have to do that, there's something wrong with the show. Not only that, but I rationalize by trying not to think about the pink elephant. I like thinking about metaphorical meanings and morals in shows! I don't want to have to stop!

As far as I can think, the show can do one of three things to rectify this problem in Season 10:
    1. They can stop copying plotlines from the Bible.

Or...

2. They can show that the Ori have copied Christianity deliberately, the way the Goa'uld impersonated existing Gods. I can't think how this could work with the logic of the show, though.

Or...

3. They could have Vala's baby bear no resemblance, in any way, shape, or form, to Jesus whatsoever. Not physically, not in terms of how he/she lives his/her life, nothing.
      • It could be a completely normal baby in every way. Meaning that there is absolutely nothing unusual about him/her except how he/she came to be. The baby could have been conceived for the sole purpose of having the Ori be able to say, "Look at us! We made a baby! Isn't it a miracle?"
      • It could be an abnormal baby, but in a way that is clearly bad and clearly completely unrelated to Jesus's life. That means no resurrection, no followers, and above all, NO TEACHING!

Because, if it turns out that, on top of everything else, Vala's baby is some messianic figure who displays uncommon wisdom for his age, gathers disciples, teaches to all the wisdom of the Book of Origin, is martyred, and comes back to life, I WILL have to stop watching.

Ok, I'm done. Replies welcome, although please reference the note at the top of this post when figuring out where to reply.
    Last edited by Katerine; 09 March 2006, 01:32 PM.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

I would have to agree.

Being a Christian myself I could definently see the connection with mideval Europe "Christianity" if you could even use the word Christian. (At the time it was so warped and distorted its hard to even call it that.)

Should be interesting though, since this is going to be tying in with Arthurian Mythology and the such who knows how it will turn out.

Just have to wait and see.
    I'm proud to be an American.

"...and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust."

Comment

Didn't we just have a thread like this in the past day or two?

I see more of a OT comparison to the Ori...

But, hey why should christianity be exempt from the religion bashing and mocking? They have trashed, bashed and twisted just about every other religion out there, christianity's turn now.

Comment

I don't think they are comparing the Ori to God or anything, or attacking him. If anything, the whole season has talked about how the Ori are evil and not powerful, and that there is another power above them.

Its a tv show in the end, it depends on your POV, but I try to keep TV and religion distant in cases like this, since its science fiction, and we are specifically told that they are not gods (plural and singular), and most certainly that ascended beings are not the most powerful.

So don't feel that your religion (whichever it may be) is attacked, if anything, Season 9 has just reinforced that people should believe in the religions they believe, regardless of what others come and say (or do).

They aren't making a statement, or allegories or anything. WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get), there are no hidden messages or anything. They tried to come up with a villain, and what better villain then someone resembling demons.

Have confidence in your belief and you shouldn't feel in anyway offended by The Ori story arch.

Comment

Katerine, I agree with everything you say about this storyline. Now, I don't believe in Egyptian or Norse mythology (I think those are the two that have been referenced in the earlier seasons), so I'm not as sensitive to them. However, I also felt that with the Goa'uld and the Asgards, the show wasn't attacking the gods themselves. They were showing creatures who were either malevolently or benevolently using the beliefs for their own purpose. So, I never felt that they were being insulting or saying, for instance that Ra was someone who took over the body of a helpless person and then enslaved others for centuries. But, that there was a snake that used the name to do those deeds. A very significant distinction.

And, in Avalon, I could make that distinction with the Ori. The Ori aren't gods. They aren't God. They're ascended beings. They're maybe like a higher and older form of what Daniel was when he ascended. They're just beings who were once human, like every other ascended being. Okay, good.

Then, the preaching. And, of course, the stories taken from the Bible. And, good point that they're not taking the full story. And, the miracles. And, so far, we've only had one small look at the other side, which was the whole higher being and the need to have a little faith. And, it wasn't even placating to Christians, since no one said that the higher being was God, and that faith had to be the Christian faith. However, it was a nice touch that no one was saying that a person's beliefs were wrong. But, now, there's none of that. And, since no one else is speaking differently, except to say that the Ori, who are representing the most powerful beings in the galaxy and also the ones with worshippers, are evil, it's like they're standing in for God, and the official position of the show is that this stand in is evil. Deceptive. There's no balance. And, since there's so much being shown as bad (the stories -I would have loved The Scourge almost completely if not for the connections) I think a balance has to be given.

And, I'm not trying to rationalize it. I hate all of it. It doesn't seem at all good. It's insulting. I don't like the Ori, I don't like how they're being written. I like the show in spite of them. I don't see why the show couldn't make up a belief system and come up with stories on their own, since they were making a brand new enemy. The Arthurian stuff (which I personally consider as much myth as I consider Apophis and Osiris) is fine with me. That doesn't seem to be attacking my beliefs. It's stories like The 4th Horsemen and The Scourge and things like that that I find are awful. And, I hate that it's such a huge part of the storyline and it seems that it'll continue to be, what with Vala being pregnant.

So, I asked this before, but now I have to ammend. What problem do tptb have with Christianity? I don't believe in Hinduism, but I wouldn't make a show that attacked the belief. Do they have a problem, or are they just trying to be edgy and exciting?

If anything, the whole season has talked about how the Ori are evil and not powerful, and that there is another power above them.
          Yes, they're saying the Ori are evil. That I agree with. But, then, you have to believe that they're saying that God is good to make that a distinctive point. And, I don't see them saying this. Or them having any character saying that. All I see is that the most powerful beings in the Stargate universe are evil. And, I don't think it has been all season that there's another power above them. Where? One episode is all I can think of. Avalon. And, one episode way back in the beginning is not enough compared to all the things they've been showing before.

Have confidence in your belief and you shouldn't feel in anyway offended by The Ori story arch.
          I don't see the connection. I'm confident, and I'm still offended. If someone tells me that my mother is a drug addict and a hooker, I'd be highly offended, even though I know it's not true. Because it's slander.
          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Fire, no-ascension! Clearly they are Lucifer, The Dark Lord, Beelzebub ect. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the Ori had names like that. The ascended ancients are our god, ascending those who are enlightened blah blah blah.

Whether you take it personally as an attack against your beliefs or whether you see it for what it is, a Sci-Fi show looking for a new enemy and following an old theme is up to you.
            An all new Stargate spinoff presents

Stargate: The B Team

The galaxy just got a whoooole lot crazier!

Comment

I can see the similiarties, but I can clearly distinguish the two and have no problem with the Ori.
              I was very satisfied with the moment where Landry said something along the lines of, "the universe is infinite, surely there is some being above the Ori," and Mitchell obviously believes in god as well.
              However, Daniel Jackson and Vala discovered that the Ori seem to be symbolyzed with fire, and he always wondered if the ancients had something to do with that, its possible the ancients like Merlin in medieval Europe had some influences that were meant to keep us strong in our belief, categorizing the Ori and their likeness as demonic and evil. Just a speculation though.
              I can understand why it makes you mad, im sorry you can't enjoy the Ori as much, I OTOH can easily see how truly different the Ori are despite their similiar preaching and the evil devices (plague, bugs) they use.
              I definately didn't think about the attack on God thing, that would be the last thing that crossed my mind with the Ori.

Comment

They have used Christian elements for building up a believable religion that people may easily relate to it as a religion not a parallel with the Christianic religion.
                School is overrated.

Comment

If they're doing allegories or whatever, I think it's completely unecessary. I don't buy that they need to use Christian themes and symbols to help the poor audience understand that they're doing a story about religion. To me, that's like using flashcards and puppets to convey a lesson to a college class. I don't think anyone would have a problem understanding if they created these evil beings who wanted to be worshipped and completely made up teachings and rituals and beliefs and mode of speaking out of their own head. I don't think anyone would get so confused that they would be scratching their head saying, "I wonder what this show is talking about," and the only way to convey that is using established religions.

And, why do they need a religion that people can relate to anyway? First, a lot of people can't relate to Christianity, and don't find it believable. There are a lot of religions I don't relate to or find believable, but that wouldn't get in the way of me being able to understand the idea that other people do, and I can handle characters on a tv show believing a religion I don't believe in. So, I fail to see why they needed something that people can relate to.

And, I still say that with everything they've thrown at us, the little conversation between Mitchell and Landry is a mere drop in the bucket.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

I just love how people have thought it was okay to do this with gods from other religions, but once it gets compared to the god of the christian bible it becomes evil and they shouldn't do it.

It is like people are saying it is okay to bash other religions for 9 years, but how dare they touch the sacrosanct christianity. It is okay to trash on Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian, Nordic and other gods as being EVIL in order to bring in religion, but the moment it is compared to christianity it is all evil and shouldn't be done...It is either okay to draw the parallels with religion, or it isn't, period
                    Damn, such hypocrisy.
                    Last edited by SylvreWolfe; 09 March 2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

It's like with everything Tolkien, Melkor, the Valar Eru, its another universe, and its not meant to actually mean anything over here. Its just a story with villains and heroes. And these have been distinctly separated from modern religions (by the characters themeselves).

If anything, the new arch is actually being good towards modern religious, supportive even.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
                        I just love how people have thought it was okay to do this with gods from other religions, but once it gets compared to the god of the christian bible it becomes evil and they shouldn't do it.

It is like people are saying it is okay to bash other religions for 9 years, but how dare they touch the sacrosanct christianity. It is okay to trash on Egyptian, Sumerian, Babylonian, Nordic and other gods as being EVIL in order to bring in religion, but the moment it is compared to christianity it is all evil and shouldn't be done...It is either okay to draw the parallels with religion, or it isn't, period
                        Damn, such hypocracy.
                        Hey, calm down. Stargate has never bashed any modern religions in any single way. It has taken elements from different ancient mythologies, but never any modern religions. Calm down alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnquixote
                          I can understand why it makes you mad, im sorry you can't enjoy the Ori as much, I OTOH can easily see how truly different the Ori are despite their similiar preaching and the evil devices (plague, bugs) they use.
                          Oh, I have no problem seeing the difference between them. My problem is, I not so sure that tptb see a difference between them. I'm not saying that the whole SGC needs to be a Christian outpost, or tptb have to take an official stand saying they believe the way I do. I just want a balance. I mean, the Ori are lying about ascending their followers. That's fine and that's a clear difference between God, because there is a Heaven. But, that's only a difference for me. How do I know that tptb aren't saying that in their minds Heaven is a lie and ascension is just a stand in for that? And, when there's only one episode where someone argues that they're not the be all and end all, compared to the many twisted ideas they're showing and clear comparisons to Biblical themes, well, it seems like the show is coming down on firmly on one side. And, despite my belief, I'm not seeing that side as being the Ori are evil but tptb don't intend them to represent God.

I wish they wouldn't come down on any side but to say the Ori, with no resemblance to anyone are evil, and the people opposing them are good. Don't continue to use Biblical references. If they have to, have someone else again say that they believe despite the Ori. That wouldn't be an official position of tptb. I don't believe Mitchell is the spokesperson for Stargate. He speaks for himself, but it allowed for the possibility that there are good people who feel that way. And, it didn't preclude the idea of good people who don't feel the way he does. But, there was balance and no overwhelming leaning on one side or the other.

eta: in response to someone else, as I said I never felt Stargate ever did bash other religions. I never felt they were insulting them. Which I clearly said, and clearly pointed out why I feel that way. So, I have absolutely no idea where the hypocrisy charge comes from. Maybe if I actually said that I felt it was okay to bash other religions, that charge would hold some merit.
                          Last edited by Dani347; 09 March 2006, 02:58 PM.

Comment

SylvreWolfe, I've replied to your post in the OT version of the thread, here

Will get to everybody else's replies in a while. For now, thanks all, for giving me some other points of view to think about.

ETA: regarding "trashing other religions" - just reiterating what Sauron18 already said, but Stargate never drew parallels between the Goa'uld and existing religions before - they just had a group of snakes impersonating the figureheads of those religions. Operative word being "impersonating." Totally different thing.
                            Last edited by Katerine; 09 March 2006, 03:02 PM.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

ok this entire topic is stupid first as one guy said up there its a tv show in a diff reality so dont try to compare to some religion or god i mean second the ori are JUST A VILLAIN not some representation of god or plagues or w/e u said im sure the writers dont sit arouidn say "hmm how can we bash god this week" it just doenst work that way i mean it just ticks me off wen ppl try to compare stuff to religion and say its makin fun of it now i am in no way tryin to insult u ppl or anything just this topic is stupid but thats just one guys opinion
                              Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
                              Through passion, I gain strength.
                              Through strength, I gain power.
                              Through power, I gain victory.
                              Through victory, my chains are broken.
                              The Force shall free me.

WEIR: Rodney, if the hive opens up on us, I want Orion's drones.

SHEPPARD: Which means we're gonna need the hyperdrive to get in position.

McKAY: Which means we'll need shields, which means you want everything!

SHEPPARD: I like everything! Can we do it or not?

McKAY (sarcastically): Well, don't get up! (He clicks his fingers at one of the crew.) Shields!

Comment

Working...
                              X