This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vszulc View Post
    Hey now, where else would I watch my SGU?!?

Bittorrent is sortof dying, though not in the way you want it to. It's being replaced by newer and other forms of p2p technology, and unfortunately for the networks there's not a whole lot they can do to stop it. One of these days they might realize that fighting against privacy is nothing but a grand waste of money.
    (Just think of the hundreds of millions of dollars that went into developing the Blueray piracy preotection, that got cracked a while ago)

Besides the fact that it's hard to compete with free (But far from impossible), the industry can only blame itself for the success of p2p services like bittorrent. If you produce shows that don't grab the viewers (like SGU for example) is it so weird that people choose to watch a pirated version for free?
    (People have never had a problem with paying for shows they percieve to have quality. Whether through cable or DVDs).
    It's odd that someone who hates a show would bother to watch it. Most sensible people would move on.

If you spend years fighting online distribution, instead of developing an easy, cheap and intuitive alternative that give people what they want, is it so strange that they gravitate to piracy and p2p?

The studios have absolutely NO excuses. They had a headstart compared to music labels, watched them try to fight piracy for over 10 years with no results, and went right ahead and made the exact same mistakes...

Yeah well, I work in the media industry, a writer to be more precise, and have been waiting for many years for the digital wonderland that was supposed to revolutionize my industry, with all its new forms of revenue and so on, it never panned out, and probably never really will. So forgive me if I take your ideas with a healthy dose of scepticism.
    Until somebody figures out how to actually make $$ out of online advertisements and online viewing (Besides Google), then it might be relevant. Until that day it's nothing but wishful thinking.

And besides that, I doubt that SGU, with its high production costs and old viewership would be terribly interesting for Comcast in that regard. If ANYTHING I'd expect them to place the focus on a different kind of television shows. Instead of a couple of expensive blockbuster shows that has to appeal to everybody, you'll get many shows each of whom will appeal to a specific demographic. We'll see TV shows that are more akin to web-based shows like Sanctuary: Low production costs, shows that are geared to a smaller but dedicated fanbase, and where you can sell adds for a smaller, specifically targeted demographic.

In regards to the future of television and television-like shows, productions like SGU is a dinosaur.
    I don't know if you're aware of a talk from 2005 called 'Piracy is Good?' It talks about piracy and television distribution models. Because it's an Australian talk, it goes into why Australians are prolific downloaders (the 'why the hell should I have to wait three years to see the next series of SGA reason, for example) and it addresses advertising. It's also available as a BT download and on Google video.

Comment

Originally posted by BloomGate View Post
      Any suggestions on where to find all those numbers would be greatly appreciated. Unless I can get access to them, Live+7 are the only ones other than Live+SD that show up here at least.
      You could always get a job at an ad agency or TV network. :-)

The job title is usually "research analyst". It looks like Syfy is looking for someone:

http://www.cynopsis.com/classifieds/

Comment

Then I think you're reading through the posts too fast. People are asking for that actual Live+7 numbers, and you're giving a short, incomplete synopsis based on guesses, and telling them to worry about Live+SD instead of saying that they haven't all been released yet or that you don't know.

Guess what? Some of us actually want to know the Live+7 numbers.

Besides, I'm not convinced that the SyFy folks don't tell you things that they want you to spread on the web instead of the truth. Not that you're complicit, but just a patsy. It happens all the time to people that work on the websites of corporations. People on the web then think they are getting "inside scoop" when in fact it's just propaganda.

You are a Fiesty one. I might take you off my X-mas card list if you keep this up, Bloom.

As per the Live+7, there will likely be a press release in a few weeks which will have the entire season one average. You will likely not hear a peep about the 2nd half since it was significantly lower than the first half, imo. They will average everything and will still compare it to SGA's 5th season since it will still be slightly higher. I don't know and no one knows because those numbers are not all out yet. But to make an educated guess on what we have and what to predict based on trends it will likely fall around 2.2 to 2.3 Million viewers for Live+7 for Season one.

Oh and MS and Major Davis, going to pick up Chuck Season one tomorrow.
        sigpic

Comment

Besides, I'm not convinced that the SyFy folks don't tell you things that they want you to spread on the web instead of the truth. Not that you're complicit, but just a patsy. It happens all the time to people that work on the websites of corporations. People on the web then think they are getting "inside scoop" when in fact it's just propaganda.
          Briangate said often, that the ratings of season 1.5 are bad. If he is "used", that would mean that Syfy wants to make the impression, that SGU is doing worse than it really does, so that more people are watching SGU to help the ratings.

But this can't be true. Syfy's press releases about SGU are spinning the numbers to make SGU looks great. Mallozzi is also spinning the numbers. They obviously try their best to make it appear that SGU is a huge ratings hit.

So my conclusion is, that Briangate isn't "used".

Comment

Originally posted by Beka View Post
            Briangate said often, that the ratings of season 1.5 are bad. If he is "used", that would mean that Syfy wants to make the impression, that SGU is doing worse than it really does, so that more people are watching SGU to help the ratings.

But this can't be true. Syfy's press releases about SGU are spinning the numbers to make SGU looks great. Mallozzi is also spinning the numbers. They obviously try their best to make it appear that SGU is a huge ratings hit.

Listen, I do my web thing, set up the forums, help to set up Q&A's with the cast and crew, was even poked at by Joe F because of my username. I ask around, and talk to people who know more than me. They can't say much, but have hinted to me with a thumbs up or thumbs down. I just here the buzz around SyFy. Some is true some is not.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
              You could always get a job at an ad agency or TV network. :-)

The job title is usually "research analyst". It looks like Syfy is looking for someone:

http://www.cynopsis.com/classifieds/
              LOL - Working in NY isn't an option.

I was referring more to bloggers that get the numbers and write about them.

For instance, several years ago, I got myself press credentials as a writer for a website (pre blogs btw) for the Chicago Bears. I got press access to training camp, but fell short of my goal of access to the press box during games.

Can the numbers be purchased from Nielsen or anything like that?
              The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
                No. Comcast is not the industry. Just to clarify, Comcast is an ISP (among other things)
                Among the other things being running cable TV and owning NBC - if they have any foresight, they want people to watch TV via the net - their TV (for a price of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                  Listen, I do my web thing, set up the forums, help to set up Q&A's with the cast and crew, was even poked at by Joe F because of my username. I ask around, and talk to people who know more than me. They can't say much, but have hinted to me with a thumbs up or thumbs down. I don't have access to ratings, I just here the buzz around SyFy.
                  I believe you of course!
                  I just wanted to counter the conspiracy theory from BloomGate.

Comment

Can the numbers be purchased from Nielsen or anything like that?
                    Yes, for one hundred billion dollars...
                    Spoiler:

Muhahahahaha!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                      I just hate bit torrent so bloody much i just wanna see it die and see shows make more money.
                      Bittorrent is a transport mechanism which can be used to break the law, but in itself isn't breaking the law. There are a great deal of files being legally spread via it (often in the Linux world), and for instance Blizzard Entertainment distribute their software patches for the game World of Warcraft using the bit torrent system.

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                        I would be sad to see Sanctuary air at 8pm on Tuesday. I actually like that show but wouldn't watch it live over NCIS. But then I won't be watching SGU if its on at 9pm as I would prefer to watch V live. I hope they run SGU at 10.
                        V isn't on the Fall schedule.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by Beka View Post

I think if they are doing anything like that it's more like "Well, we wish the numbers were better, but they're really kinda ok. But let's tell everyone outside this room that the show is REALLY in danger and see if they can get more people to watch it live to raise the ratings for us."

Obviously, it's wild speculation, but I've seen entertainment companies tell their "temp workers" at trade shows that if product X doesn't sell more soon, then the product won't have a sequel even though the sequel is already in development and they intend to finish it no matter what.
                          The Characters from Bloom County were located to another world where they could live in Peace and avoid the wrath of Jeanne Kirkpatrick.

Here's a photo of Bill the Cat hanging out by the gate waiting for more partying supplies:

Comment

I'm sure this has been discussed before here but could someone explain to me why Incursion, Part 1 has an increase of+ 19%. Or am I getting old? Or is that just a typo?

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron Atlantis View Post
                              I'm sure this has been discussed before here but could someone explain to me why Incursion, Part 1 has an increase of+ 19%. Or am I getting old? Or is that just a typo?
                              Are you referring to an article or something?
                              -

Comment

I think if they are doing anything like that it's more like "Well, we wish the numbers were better, but they're really kinda ok. But let's tell everyone outside this room that the show is REALLY in danger and see if they can get more people to watch it live to raise the ratings for us."
                                I just don't think that this is true is this case. Syfy, TPTB and SGU actors are all spinning the numbers to make it appear that SGU is doing very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X