Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
    Of course you won't. I was making the point that if you had the will/capacity you COULD and you WOULD save money. It is a major undertaking though and obviously only the most determined will achieve this.
    So basically, we can summarize that Annoyed is lazy. Like the snowflakes he rages against.

Sounds like bacon time
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Of course you won't. I was making the point that if you had the will/capacity you COULD and you WOULD save money. It is a major undertaking though and obviously only the most determined will achieve this.
      You're still ignoring my major objection to this scheme. My cost for energy would increase.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
        how about ways to capture lightning strikes and harness their electrical power? it's said that the amount of energy in one bolt of lightning could power a major city like NYC or Buffalo for at least 100 years

I'm thinking it would take building a modified capacitor with enough capacitance to store all that potential energy and releases it in a controlled manner, rather than all at once like most capacitors, like in defibrillators....when activated they build and store a charge but when the buttons on the paddles are pressed it releases the stored energy all at once into the person's heart in hopes of jumpstarting it....however if that's the kind of capacitor we had for this idea I'd wager there'd be a major overload of the local power grid so for this application the capacitor in question would have to be able to release its stored energy in a more controlled manner
        Capacitors suffer from leakage. The stored energy would leak before it could be used.

Comment

how about ways to capture lightning strikes and harness their electrical power? it's said that the amount of energy in one bolt of lightning could power a major city like NYC or Buffalo for at least 100 years

I'm thinking it would take building a modified capacitor with enough capacitance to store all that potential energy and releases it in a controlled manner, rather than all at once like most capacitors, like in defibrillators....when activated they build and store a charge but when the buttons on the paddles are pressed it releases the stored energy all at once into the person's heart in hopes of jumpstarting it....however if that's the kind of capacitor we had for this idea I'd wager there'd be a major overload of the local power grid so for this application the capacitor in question would have to be able to release its stored energy in a more controlled manner
          I'm totally picturing a death star weapon
          Spoiler:
          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

It makes us one step closer to blowing up the moon
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Don't be silly. The target is jelgatia.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                It makes us one step closer to blowing up the moon
                "That's no moon"

Comment

I'm sure some like annoyed would find an excuse as to why we shouldn't bother with it and just rely on oil and coal.
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

I bet it involves his fear of technology.
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I already posted my objection to this idea.

https://forum.gateworld.net/threads/...1#post14659787

Comment

And this objection is the same for any type of energy so it's not really an argument. Every kind has its upkeeps.
                        Spoiler:
                        I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

You have earned your hypocrisy bacon
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Thought I'd mention that I read an article about an interesting class-action case going forward to our SC. Basically they are suing the govt for their inaction against climate changes and demand repayment to the youth. They are asking for 100$ per person aged 18-34 since we will be paying for it in the future and asking that this money be put in an untouchable fund only to be used for funding climate change policies.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Thought I'd mention that I read an article about an interesting class-action case going forward to our SC. Basically they are suing the govt for their inaction against climate changes and demand repayment to the youth. They are asking for 100$ per person aged 18-34 since we will be paying for it in the future and asking that this money be put in an untouchable fund only to be used for funding climate change policies.
                              That's nuts.

Comment

I will agree its nuts that anything will happen but they do have a point. We have already proven how your generation has and continues screwing us
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X