Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking Earth's Future via Current Events, etc.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can make an argument to any form of energy
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
      Are you forgetting about maintenance costs? Batteries need to be replaced quite often. Winter storms and windstorms with flying debris will damage the panels.
      Petrol and oil damage your engine, and cause CO2 emissions.
      You really shouldn't drive a car, they require maintainence
      Or is your argument just stupid?

Add in all the hidden costs, and I can't imagine even breaking even with such a scheme, let alone coming out ahead.
      You lack imagination.
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

You're not even discussing the same topic!
        I'm talking about using tax policy to push people to alternative energy sources, and you're talking about welfare.
        No, I am talking about tax.
        sigpic

Comment

I say we tax Annoyed. After all, the elderly are the most expensive
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            I say we tax Annoyed. After all, the elderly are the most expensive
            But they have SS, which they paid thousands of dollars into...……
            Forget it costs TENS of thousands in the US system to support them NOW.
            He lives in the past.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka-Z0 View Post
              What about the carrot model? I believe BC residents here in Canada get up to 16k in refunds for the purchase of an electric vehicle ever since the last Federal policy came into effect (the amount depends on the total value of the car). Every dealer outlets are now rushing to fill in their stocks with what the clients demand, electric cars.
              You mean, actual supply and demand?
              The mantra of the "free market"?
              You really think they believe in that?

Sorry man, but they don't believe in that, they believe in ME, not US.
              Also considering your MAGA mindset, wouldn't having equipment such as solar panels which would cover a good chunk of your electricity bill another way to assume and enjoy your American Freedom since you wouldn't be giving as much American Dollars to stay connected to the American grid?
              But clouds...……..
              See, all you need is to let the Bernie flow through you.
              He is too old, too old to begin the training.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                You mean, actual supply and demand?
                The mantra of the "free market"?
                You really think they believe in that?
                The Annoyed's laugh in tarifs. (Till they drown)

He is too old, too old to begin the training.
                Palpatine was old and that didn't stop him on his quest to unlimited power.
                Spoiler:
                I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

The Annoyed's laugh in tarifs. (Till they drown)
                  Because he does not understand economics.

Palpatine was old and that didn't stop him on his quest to unlimited power.
                  He was old, and already had it. (decayed is probably better)
                  Why do you think the empire REJECTED "non humans"?
                  They had a higher Midiclorian count?
                  No.
                  Palpatine only cares about himself.
                  sigpic

Comment

Petrol and oil damage your engine, and cause CO2 emissions.
                    You really shouldn't drive a car, they require maintainence
                    Or is your argument just stupid?

You lack imagination.
                    Are you really that dense? I'm saying that with the expenses involved, solar is a far cry from free, and due to the unreliable nature of sunlight, I can't ditch the local utility which has minimum charges even if you don't use a single kilowatt of their product.
                    It doesn't make financial sense to covert to a dual-source electricity setup.

Comment

Are you really that dense? I'm saying that with the expenses involved, solar is a far cry from free, and due to the unreliable nature of sunlight, I can't ditch the local utility which has minimum charges even if you don't use a single kilowatt of their product.
                      It doesn't make financial sense to covert to a dual-source electricity setup.
                      What are the expenses in your car?
                      Nothing is free, even the people wanting "free Shiznit" know that.
                      How dense are you?
                      sigpic

Comment

What are the expenses in your car?
                        Nothing is free, even the people wanting "free Shiznit" know that.
                        How dense are you?
                        You're still not getting it. It doesn't make financial sense for me to use solar. It would be more expensive than just staying on the electric utility alone.

This is the point. At some point, technology will advance so that alternatives will be a better choice. But that day is not today.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                          How is it still a fossil fuel if its derived from plants rather than drilling for the crude stuff?
                          You still have to burn the fuel, which pollutes just as much as any other combustible.

You're still not getting it. It doesn't make financial sense for me to use solar. It would be more expensive than just staying on the electric utility alone.

This is the point. At some point, technology will advance so that alternatives will be a better choice. But that day is not today.
                          The only thing Solar panels need as maintenance is cleaning them when dirty, or shovel the snow off it. As for the batteries, what's any different than changing your battery on your car every two year? Picking up a battery and replacing it is too hard?

The installation fees is the biggest, somewhere in the range of 15k-20k for a full solar setup + batteries. After the initial cost you won't ever have to spend money again except for replacing decayed batteries, which as you know well you get a discount if you bring the old battery back. So that's about 100$ per battery, car batteries last for at least 2 years, it's not that much for maintenance costs. Basically your setup is a one-time cost.

Over the years, say a horizon 10 years, you will definitely save money. How much are your electricity bills per month 100-150$ depending how you heat your homes, maybe higher during winter? Do that times 12 months times 10 years.

I think you're making stuff up Annoyed, have you done a few calculations or you're just pulling numbers out of your arse?

The real question is would you be willing to put the work into it, that's really what it comes down to. Solar panels are expensive but there is a clear trend of the price dropping over the last decade, just like any product it becomes cheaper as mass production begins.
                          Spoiler:
                          I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

You still have to burn the fuel, which pollutes just as much as any other combustible.

The only thing Solar panels need as maintenance is cleaning them when dirty, or shovel the snow off it. As for the batteries, what's any different than changing your battery on your car every two year? Picking up a battery and replacing it is too hard?

The installation fees is the biggest, somewhere in the range of 15k-20k for a full solar setup + batteries. After the initial cost you won't ever have to spend money again except for replacing decayed batteries, which as you know well you get a discount if you bring the old battery back. So that's about 100$ per battery, car batteries last for at least 2 years, it's not that much for maintenance costs. Basically your setup is a one-time cost.

Over the years, say a horizon 10 years, you will definitely save money. How much are your electricity bills per month 100-150$ depending how you heat your homes, maybe higher during winter? Do that times 12 months times 10 years.

I think you're making stuff up Annoyed, have you done a few calculations or you're just pulling numbers out of your arse?

The real question is would you be willing to put the work into it, that's really what it comes down to. Solar panels are expensive but there is a clear trend of the price dropping over the last decade, just like any product it becomes cheaper as mass production begins.
                            Like **** I'm gonna go up on the roof of a two story home to shovel the snow off of it.

And you forget, that I still have to maintain service with the local power company; solar is not that reliable. And that service is not free, even if I don't consume a kilowatt.

Comment

Of course you won't. I was making the point that if you had the will/capacity you COULD and you WOULD save money. It is a major undertaking though and obviously only the most determined will achieve this.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Of course you won't. I was making the point that if you had the will/capacity you COULD and you WOULD save money. It is a major undertaking though and obviously only the most determined will achieve this.
                                how about ways to capture lightning strikes and harness their electrical power? it's said that the amount of energy in one bolt of lightning could power a major city like NYC or Buffalo for at least 100 years

I'm thinking it would take building a modified capacitor with enough capacitance to store all that potential energy and releases it in a controlled manner, rather than all at once like most capacitors, like in defibrillators....when activated they build and store a charge but when the buttons on the paddles are pressed it releases the stored energy all at once into the person's heart in hopes of jumpstarting it....however if that's the kind of capacitor we had for this idea I'd wager there'd be a major overload of the local power grid so for this application the capacitor in question would have to be able to release its stored energy in a more controlled manner

Comment

Working...
                                X