Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Keller a vital part of the expedition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
    Spoiler:
    The ANTIS are pwned by the pros so far .
    well that's pretty much what always tends to happen tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
      well that's pretty much what always tends to happen tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Lenas View Post
        Hmm, I will try to keep it nice and clean on this thread.

What i meant with the "age-thing" was not only her actual age - it's about her conduct as well. She is very immature, more like a girl then a strong, independant woman. I wouldn't want her to treat me in anyway, she seems to be very uncertain in every decision she has to make. I'm sure any of the other doctors that been around longer could fill the position as CMO soooo much better.
        But then again, there not young, blond and thunkable enough to be shipped with the male central characters. And that is the only reason why JS was casted. (No offence to JS, liked her in FF).

And I do think she is the worst character ever in SG history and I will stay away from any Keller-centred eps in s 5.
        Okay. If the evidence is so overwhelming, name me several situations in which she's failed to carry out her duty as a physician with reasonable competence.
        Theoretically spoilerish:
        Spoiler:
        Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Keller doesn't exactly ooze confidence or maturity. I'd like a bit of maturity in my doctor. Just an opinion of course.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

No. IMO she's so cute, too sweet for being a doctor in Atlantis, I would prefer someone mature
            sigpic
            sig thanks to Luci

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
              Keller doesn't exactly ooze confidence or maturity. I'd like a bit of maturity in my doctor. Just an opinion of course.
              So, is she laughing and telling crude stories about the time she saw someone vomit in an alley while she's treating people?
              Spoiler:
              Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

All this talk about maturity... while Sheppard and McKay are off playing video games and talking about Batman.
                Spoiler:
                Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
                  So, is she laughing and telling crude stories about the time she saw someone vomit in an alley while she's treating people?
                  Let's just say that the best doctor I've ever had was telling me stories about the time he was a surgeon's assistant in a military garrison when the Soviets came to Czechoslovakia in 1968. It boosted my confidence in him considerably, 'cause it showed that he's experienced and knows what he's doing

Comment

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
                    Let's just say that the best doctor I've ever had was telling me stories about the time he was a surgeon's assistant in a military garrison when the Soviets came to Czechoslovakia in 1968. It boosted my confidence in him considerably, 'cause it showed that he's experienced and knows what he's doing
                    I'm sure it would boost mine too. That's very impressive. It doesn't, however, speak to mental and emotional maturity, which seems to be the issue that was raised.
                    Spoiler:
                    Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

I feel that she's still a bit young to be out in Pegasus and doesn't really have the experience/maturity to command an entire medical unit. I'd have to say no.

It's Complicated Butterflies and Hurricanes

Comment

Is Keller important to the expedition? Yes, as a doctor she is important to Atlantis just as all the doctors, scientists, etc. are important to Atlantis.

Is she vital to the expedition? No, because I don't get the sense that she is what keeps the medical staff together. Although I thought she did a good job in First Strike and Adrift, I don't see her as a leader. Instead, I see her more as a bright young intern than as a doctor with the experience and temperment to oversee a high-powered medical team.

The bottom line is that she's too young to convince me that she has the necessary years of hands on experience needed to even be considered for that job.
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                          Definitely . Then the bashing will commence . Where do I check how long will the poll be kept open?

*forgive tiny lill me for such a stupid question .

Tis a close one. Guess the ANTIs are asleep or they are not billions like I thought .
                          I think they are definitely not billions like you thought. Odd isn't it how our deepest predjudices we assume are held by many others (Look at the USA primaries this year... I hear more "how can they vote for that person?" than I have ever heard before!)

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                          All of it is a suspension of disbelief. From the physics to the medicine to the military regulations to the ages of some of the main characters.

Heck, even Carson would have been on the young side for CMO of Atlantis when the show started.

And the episode in season one with the Hoffan anti-Wraith drug? Seriously? We're supposed to believe that Carson had the infinite wisdom to comprehend all the research that had been done on the drug and then be able to create it in, what, 2 days? Sorry, but no.

My point, and I do have one that ties into Keller, is that suspending ones disbelief for her age and the actions she takes as a doctor (which are dictated to the fictional character by the real people writing her) is no more a stretch than suspending disbelief for everything else that happens on the show.
                          LOL great point.... mental green hun!

Comment

Originally posted by KindlyKeller View Post
                            I don't have a personal problem with either of them holding their respective positions. I think Weir looks about 40-42 now, but she would have been south of that mark by four years when she took the post. It's hard to argue someone her age in RL would be fit for the position; it's NOT, however, hard to argue on behalf of the character because they gave her a background that made her an eligible candidate, even though she wasn't old enough to have accomplished everything on that resume.

I accept the fictional reality, though, so it didn't bother me. Just as I accept Keller's credentials in the fictional reality.

It's interesting, reefgirl, that you brought up the "even if Shep's a bit young, they'd have left him in the position because he was doing very well by all accounts of things after he was initially thrust into it out of necessity" argument. That's exactly what happened with Keller as well. After Carson, they needed someone to step in and fill the position in the interim. When she did so admirably and with great competence, they left her there.
                            Shep maybe 'a bit young' but he's mature, he's been in the field long enough to know how to act and react, Keller on the other hand may be a Whizz Kid Doctor but with the way she's reated to certian situations I wouldn't want her to treat me, I want someone with a few more miles on the clock and has been around the block a few times.

Comment

First things first.

Is she vital to the expedition. Yes! As others have said, she's a CMO, Atlantis needs a CMO. If she wasn't there, half the team would be dead. So....

Where the heck is my sitting on the fence option Inte?

For me, it's not sooo much her age, but her character. I don't know, maybe the character needs to be developed to see what she's capable of apart from being able to flirt very well.

Some parts for me about her character aren't believeable, being able to do neurosurgery at such a young age, stretches the imagination shall we say. But they are they best and the brightest. Playing devil's advocate for a moment, if we look at the young prodigy's of our own time we'll see that Keller may not be so different. Look at Stephen Hawkins, or Einstein for that matter. yes, they're real people, and this is the fictional world we're talking about her, but art often imitates life.

I wouldn't say I dislike the character, I just need to find 'something' about her character that I like. maybe if I saw how far she'd go to keep one of her patients safe, or she refused to compromise on a treatment. Or something that 'stretches' her I might enjoy the character more. She needs to get snarky I think more often, I like that side of people.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              For the last time, doing real CPR can break the ribs of the person you're doing it on (though it's a small price to pay if you save that person's life).

Of course, if you advocate breaking Joe Flanigan's ribs to satisfy some medical nuts' obsession with medical accuracy in a SciFi Action Adventure show, then so be it.
                              Now now PG15, it's whump Shep, not Joe, no harming of actual people thanks very much.

You can perform CPR on a person showing the correct technique to some degree without actually huring the individual. It is possible, you just have to know which body parts to move and which ones not to, and moving elbows during CPR is a no no.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                                Shep maybe 'a bit young' but he's mature, he's been in the field long enough to know how to act and react, Keller on the other hand may be a Whizz Kid Doctor but with the way she's reated to certian situations I wouldn't want her to treat me, I want someone with a few more miles on the clock and has been around the block a few times.
                                Again, name me several situations in which she has failed to competently carry out her duty as a physician. No "she's a flirt" or "she whined in 'Missing.'" As a doctor, how has she been proven lacking?
                                Spoiler:
                                Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Working...
                                X