Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion re: downloading Stargate Eps (mostly for Cdns)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kes
    Sorry if I repeated something in my posts. Didnt even noticed this thread was 7pages long
    Ignore that lol

Comment

hmm.. i have a different perspective here.. i only became addicted.. err.. seriously interested in the stargates last year watching them on broadcast tv in syndication (i was finally home on weekends but had no cable) only then did i realize there was a whole new season that i would not be able to see (as well as 7 seasons i didn't even know about!) because i didn't think i needed cable..

i ended up buying all 8 seasons on dvd to catch up to what was on broadcast, then began dl'ing season 9 to catch up.. i have every intention of buyin the dvd's for season 9 as the quality does suffer from dl'ing.. the thing that was different for me? i ordered cable in late june and can now can catch the current season without downloading.. which is what i wanted to do all along but couldn't.. if the show was offered from ANY other legal source (itunes or scifi.com/launch) i would have gone there, but alas it was not..

just to update, illegal dl'ing made me want spend my money to get cable and scifi AND i have EVERY intention of buying seasons 9 & 10 on dvd when they come out.. so did my dl'ing harm sci fi and/or the stargates moneywise or has it benefitted them?

Comment

Its a tricky situation. I think people in other countries should be able to see the shows released in America when they are released there.

For example, for some reason or another, we are only a few eps into S9 of SG1 here in Australia atm, and havnt started SGA S2 yet. Most of the good shows are taken by the free-to-air stations, and primarily re-runs of shows are shown on cable networks for those who are lucky enough to have them. People are either ahead by downloading, or behind, waiting to see when/if they come on tv. Thats no way to treat fans, and potential customers imo.

So my point is, we should be able to see the shows when they are released, or as close as practically possible.

I wouldnt have a problem paying for some of these shows to get them 'live', provided the price was reasonable.

However, i dont think they can ever stamp out downloading, as it is pretty much freedom of speech, sharing, and a form of communicating through media...
        Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I download, watch it on TV and buy the DVD's [in that order]

Comment

This has been an interesting (if somewhat cyclical) discussion, and it leaves me with one question:

Does anyone know of a legitimate and effective way to get SciFi to legally broadcast Stargate episodes for a paid download, either through their site or through iTunes?

I ask because Stargate has an international fan base. If you're involved in the business end of the show, you know the show has an international fan base. How can we as fans get them to capitalize on that?

I'm in college without the SciFi channel 8 months out of the year, so I can't watch the show legitimately even though I want to. I do want to support the show. I'm willing the throw what little money I have at them to keep it going. I buy the DVDs. I talk about the show to my friends. And I would certainly be willing to drop some cash for a legal dowload. Now, how do we get SciFi to recognise that?
            They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
            Spoiler:
            Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by starfox
              This has been an interesting (if somewhat cyclical) discussion, and it leaves me with one question:

Does anyone know of a legitimate and effective way to get SciFi to legally broadcast Stargate episodes for a paid download, either through their site or through iTunes?

I ask because Stargate has an international fan base. If you're involved in the business end of the show, you know the show has an international fan base. How can we as fans get them to capitalize on that?

I'm in college without the SciFi channel 8 months out of the year, so I can't watch the show legitimately even though I want to. I do want to support the show. I'm willing the throw what little money I have at them to keep it going. I buy the DVDs. I talk about the show to my friends. And I would certainly be willing to drop some cash for a legal dowload. Now, how do we get SciFi to recognise that?
              One problem that arises from that is that they will lose out on money (ignoring what they could sell downloads for)- if people in other countries are all downloading the show, even legally, and networks lose enough viewership to find the show not worth buying, sci-fi won't be able to sell it to them. The idea of losing "traditional" forms of television is a daunting one for the industry and they're not ready to buy into it yet, but eventually they'll have to get with the time.

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                I liked what ABC did with Alias/Lost/Grey's Anatomy last year. That was smart. After the initial airing, they allowed fans to watch the episodes off of their website with streaming video, with commercials embedded. It's the only way I could keep up with Alias, with that show airing in the middle of the week at a time when I'd rather be finishing my problem sets. That was legal, and it was a good decision.

Other shows are on ITunes, which I think is also a great way to legally distribute shows online. I have several friends who downloaded LOST from ITunes religiously. They were perfectly willing to pay the $1.99 fee.

But yeah, so many people would watch the 1st airings of their favorite shows on TV if they COULD, but not everyone can. Sad, but true.
                The way I see it, we are currently living during an information revolution. In the past, the information distributors (Broadcasters, publishers) hold absolute power in distributing the data/movie etc. The downloading trend is a reflection of what the consumers desires now: "Enough. I'm not going to be at the mercy of these distributors who tightly control the distribution for profit anymore. I don't want my information censored. I want the information without hindrance and freely shared."

Thus the emergence of consumer-driven information sources like weblogs and yes, downloading sites. People are tired of getting information on the distributors' terms.

And the way I see it, there's two ways the legal distributors can deal with this desire - run with it by offering them what the consumers want or curtail their efforts in obtaining the information their way.

Newspapers are now even adopting blogs into their websites (because people desire to speak out now rather than just read the news), so I think it's just a matter of time before broadcasters do the same. I love how ABC did it too. It has ads (income generating) and it's not so high-quality that people will be tempted not to see it when it's on their tv screens.

I live in a country where sci-fi is just not given any respect. DS9 stopped airing after the 3rd season. Stargate Sg-1 has not made an appearance since the 4th season. We're lucky that the first season of SGA appeared this year, but it was so under publicised that I doubt that they'll show a s2 because its a sign that the broadcaster doesn't want to spend too much money on advertising it.

We are lucky that most popular shows - desperate housewives, alias, csi, lost - are shown relatively quickly (right after they run their course in the US, usually a year after they start). But stargate? Ferget it.

So, what is a stargate fan to do when she's so hungry for episodes and there's just no chance to ever watch it legally on tv? You're only human to reach out for the downloading sites.

Buy legal dvds, you say. Thanks to our rampant piracy problems here very, very few TV series boxsets are brought over to be sold. And if they are, they're VERY expensive. A box of X-Files can set a person back a lot, and I'm talking like 1/3 of the average pay of a Malaysian. I AM NOT KIDDING. It costs as much (sometimes more) as an iPod shuffle here, and you can even buy TWO DVD players for the price of a box set. ITS RIDICULOUS.

Even then, I do order official box sets from the US. It sets me back quite a bit, but usually after watching their downloaded versions, I'd consider if they'r worth buying original. (Why buy something untested? Too risky) I have to make my choice very, very carefully as buying one box set can set me back 1/3 to 1/4 month's pay. (This is how I came to buy West Wing original - cos I watched the downloaded version first, fell in love with it and bought it)

Stargate DVD box sets are as expensive as the X-Files one. SIGH. I can't afford them. FULL STOP.

So, yes, I know the reality of the situation is that downloading is illegal (in some countries only, apparently) and that it could affect sales. But on the other side of the coin, not all fans are privileaged to have access to legal TV channels and DVDs showing stargate. To be honest, it's a little grating to hear someone who has easy access to both lecture those who don't have their priveleage to "stop downloading because it's unethical."

It's sure easy for them to say that ...

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie
                  Its a tricky situation. I think people in other countries should be able to see the shows released in America when they are released there.

For example, for some reason or another, we are only a few eps into S9 of SG1 here in Australia atm, and havnt started SGA S2 yet. Most of the good shows are taken by the free-to-air stations, and primarily re-runs of shows are shown on cable networks for those who are lucky enough to have them. People are either ahead by downloading, or behind, waiting to see when/if they come on tv. Thats no way to treat fans, and potential customers imo.

So my point is, we should be able to see the shows when they are released, or as close as practically possible.

I wouldnt have a problem paying for some of these shows to get them 'live', provided the price was reasonable.

However, i dont think they can ever stamp out downloading, as it is pretty much freedom of speech, sharing, and a form of communicating through media...
                  Here SGA isnt even shown! It gets really wierd.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                    What will be interesting to see is how sci-fi's ratings do if Canada is getting the second half of the season before sci-fi (which is currently on the table as an option). If what looks to be the schedule holds for us and skiffy goes with the six month hiatus, then we'll have the season finale roughly two months before the US. (it's a lot of "ifs", but this option has been far from quashed)

Now this scenario could be potentially devestating towards the ratings "that matter".
                    Read this article (or download the (legit) video and watch the presentation):

The day TV died

Basically, SciFi and Sky One collaberated on the Battlestar Galactica series, and were going to show it simultaniously.

However, SciFi changed their minds at the last moment and postponed it for 3 months. Sky One still showed it on schedule.

We stuck it on the internet, just like you kind folks do with Stargate, and all the Americans that wanted to watched BSG,

Then when SciFi did release it, because it had already been seen, word of mouth had got around, and it had the highest SciFi ratings ever.

The article also goes on to talk about hyperdistribution, and why limiting by country is only harming the companies that make these shows.
                    Son, do you know what colour this phone is?
                    - General Hammond

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Clark
                      Read this article (or download the (legit) video and watch the presentation):

The day TV died

Basically, SciFi and Sky One collaberated on the Battlestar Galactica series, and were going to show it simultaniously.

However, SciFi changed their minds at the last moment and postponed it for 3 months. Sky One still showed it on schedule.

We stuck it on the internet, just like you kind folks do with Stargate, and all the Americans that wanted to watched BSG,

Then when SciFi did release it, because it had already been seen, word of mouth had got around, and it had the highest SciFi ratings ever.

The article also goes on to talk about hyperdistribution, and why limiting by country is only harming the companies that make these shows.
                      Yup, I watched that awhile ago, it was very interesting, but I don't think that what happened with BSG will happen to Stargate. There are too many differing factors, Stargate is an older show, it's not the "revolutional" show that BSG is. I think that releasing the show here or in the UK first will definitly hurt the sci-fi ratings. It's a mixed blessing for us, for the first time teh shoe will be on the otehr foot- we won't be waiting for the finale after everyone else has seen it, and SPACE is bound to get some of their highest ratings ever, but in teh long it could be nothing but negative.

Comment

[Begin Rant]

1st off. I'd like to say I don't have cable.
                        2nd, even if I did have cable, I wouldn't even get SCI-FI (I'm in Canada).
                        3rd, in order to even get SPACE, I'd have to pay $28.58 /mo just to get it as well as 8 other un-necessary channels.
                        4th, even if I had SPACE, I'd have to wait until November until it gets broadcasted
                        5th, out of my 9 (8 if you exclude French CBC) channels... only 2 broadcast Stargate SG-1/Atlantis... Channel CH, which is on like Season 3/4 SG-1, and CityTV which is on like Season 8 SG-1 and Season 1 SGA
                        6th, I live in VANCOUVER!!!!!!!!!! Where Bridge Studios is and where Stargate is filmed! And THE CHANNELS THAT BROADCAST STARGATE ARE 2 OR MORE SEASONS BEHIND!!!!

Let's estimate the popularity of the Stargate Franchise. Feel free to correct me. I'm just estimating here.
                        1. Let's say 10mill+ people watch it, including bt'ers. Let's estimate 25% of those are bt'ers (there may be more). That's 2.5mill bt'ers. 7.5m TV watchers. 15m x some 100 ads x $50k ( i forgot what the guy said about $/ad... the link on top of page 3... yes I watched the whole thing) = $3.75x10x13!!!. That's a **** load of money.
                        2. 2.5mill bter's.. let's say 1/2 of them are decent enough to buy the DVD's when they come out. The DVD's are $50 each set. Just taking one season (out of 11) into account. 1.25mill x $50 = $62.5mill
                        Estimating that 1/2 of the TV watchers buy the DVD's too = $375mill
                        3. Other than DVD's there's other Stargate Merchandise. Let's say each is worth $25 and 33% the audience buys the merchandise = $83mill

Add them all up you get: $4.13x10^14.

Cheers to all the BT'ers out there. Even if you download, MGM and Stargate are still making a **** load of money.
                        The Networks can kiss my ass. They're making a ton of money already and they still want more. They should think about the people who want to watch the show but can't watch it. Sheesh. *******s.

[End Rant]
                        Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by wyndhamfan
                          The way I see it, we are currently living during an information revolution. In the past, the information distributors (Broadcasters, publishers) hold absolute power in distributing the data/movie etc. The downloading trend is a reflection of what the consumers desires now: "Enough. I'm not going to be at the mercy of these distributors who tightly control the distribution for profit anymore. I don't want my information censored. I want the information without hindrance and freely shared."

Thus the emergence of consumer-driven information sources like weblogs and yes, downloading sites. People are tired of getting information on the distributors' terms.

And the way I see it, there's two ways the legal distributors can deal with this desire - run with it by offering them what the consumers want or curtail their efforts in obtaining the information their way.

Newspapers are now even adopting blogs into their websites (because people desire to speak out now rather than just read the news), so I think it's just a matter of time before broadcasters do the same. I love how ABC did it too. It has ads (income generating) and it's not so high-quality that people will be tempted not to see it when it's on their tv screens.

I live in a country where sci-fi is just not given any respect. DS9 stopped airing after the 3rd season. Stargate Sg-1 has not made an appearance since the 4th season. We're lucky that the first season of SGA appeared this year, but it was so under publicised that I doubt that they'll show a s2 because its a sign that the broadcaster doesn't want to spend too much money on advertising it.

We are lucky that most popular shows - desperate housewives, alias, csi, lost - are shown relatively quickly (right after they run their course in the US, usually a year after they start). But stargate? Ferget it.

So, what is a stargate fan to do when she's so hungry for episodes and there's just no chance to ever watch it legally on tv? You're only human to reach out for the downloading sites.

Buy legal dvds, you say. Thanks to our rampant piracy problems here very, very few TV series boxsets are brought over to be sold. And if they are, they're VERY expensive. A box of X-Files can set a person back a lot, and I'm talking like 1/3 of the average pay of a Malaysian. I AM NOT KIDDING. It costs as much (sometimes more) as an iPod shuffle here, and you can even buy TWO DVD players for the price of a box set. ITS RIDICULOUS.

Even then, I do order official box sets from the US. It sets me back quite a bit, but usually after watching their downloaded versions, I'd consider if they'r worth buying original. (Why buy something untested? Too risky) I have to make my choice very, very carefully as buying one box set can set me back 1/3 to 1/4 month's pay. (This is how I came to buy West Wing original - cos I watched the downloaded version first, fell in love with it and bought it)

Stargate DVD box sets are as expensive as the X-Files one. SIGH. I can't afford them. FULL STOP.

So, yes, I know the reality of the situation is that downloading is illegal (in some countries only, apparently) and that it could affect sales. But on the other side of the coin, not all fans are privileaged to have access to legal TV channels and DVDs showing stargate. To be honest, it's a little grating to hear someone who has easy access to both lecture those who don't have their priveleage to "stop downloading because it's unethical."

It's sure easy for them to say that ...
                          Amen, brother. Download away, my friend.
                          Theoretically spoilerish:
                          Spoiler:
                          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Like many have said, up here in Canada we would have to wait until November for new episodes, so until all involved get their act together and work out distribution deals to allow the broadcasts to be the same as in the States, I will continue to download. Plain and simple. Theres no reason that the show cant be broadcast at the same time as in America; it happens all the time up here.

P.S. Anyone know why my apostrophe key brings up the text search function and my arrow keys dont work in the Quick Reply box? Im using The latest Firefox release, and its super-annoying..
                            My turtles!

Comment

Again in Canada it's about not showing the seasons in the summer- SPACE will not air big new seasons of shows in the summer because they can't afford to, the ratings are too low, so they will always hold off until the fall- even if they have the option to air it in the summer (I'm not sure if they did this year).

As for the DVD sets, where are you shopping? I can go to HMV and pick up a season for $29.99.

Comment

I wonder why these sites that offer illegal downloads aren't shut down and fined. It seems strange if these sites are so well known that nothing is being done about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X