Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
    The 2nd part of Damian Kindler's interview is now up
    Exclusive Interview: Creating a Sanctuary for All
    http://www.cinemaspy.ca/article.php?id=818

the 3rd part will be up next week.

Here a sample (one question) from the article:
    Spoiler:

Michael Simpson: Was it a conscious decision to write the lead role as a woman?

Damian Kindler: Yes, because the spine of the show, which is to not fear, to overcome fear and to seek out knowledge without the need to exploit, is a kind of a harmonic journey that I think Magnus is on. She’s seeking knowledge and she’s seeking understanding and she’s seeking a cure for her own condition. She has a condition which is incurable and she doesn’t seek power, and that puts her out of joint with a lot of people who would behave in certain ways with access to the things she has access to. I don’t want to punish her for having a healthy ego or a sexual appetite or any of that. I think that she should have the same rules apply to her character as any leading man, and I think that’s a unique approach. I feel very strongly about it. And I don’t think Amanda Tapping would be that interested in playing the role if she was this woman who had to pay the price for her powers much. I think she has to deal with a lot of crap from people who want power and are powerful. But they’re the bad guys. As far as the female cop who is busting her way up through the ranks, that is not the story. This is a woman who’s deliberately, for a long time, been working outside the system and created her own system, and can never reintegrate back into society because she has created her own way of living. I think that’s interesting. I think a lot of people like that power and strength of character. She is unto herself. No matter how hard, or lonely or difficult that journey is, that’s the journey she’s on, and that’s a bit unique to the way shows are set up.
    Spine of the show....

I think that she should have the same rules apply to her character as any leading man, and I think that’s a unique approach.
    This is a woman who’s deliberately, for a long time, been working outside the system and created her own system, and can never reintegrate back into society because she has created her own way of living. I think that’s interesting. I think a lot of people like that power and strength of character. She is unto herself. No matter how hard, or lonely or difficult that journey is, that’s the journey she’s on, and that’s a bit unique to the way shows are set up.
    WOOHOO!!

First of all, thanks for link.

Secondly, WOOHOO for strong female characters!

A women with the same rules as a leading man?!! I can't wait.

A character creating his/her own way of life, her own rules, her own life? Cool.

Originally posted by morjana View Post
    Charity Buzz: Lunch with Amanda Tapping on the Set of Sanctuary Auction:

From Charity Buzz an auction to benefit Waterkeeper Alliance
    Earth Day Auction includes Lunch with Amanda Tapping on the Set of Sanctuary:

Lunch with Amanda Tapping on the set of Sanctuary in Vancouver. Valid
    for 2 people for one year, based on availability.
    Ooooh, gotta try.

I feel futile, but my daugher and I would LOVE it. hehe.

Edit: Ok, looked at the site - the bids are ALREADY way over my limit. hehe. I was clueless, as usual.
    Last edited by tagger; 20 April 2008, 07:16 AM.
    Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
    Quint Studer

Comment

From SFX Magazine:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=...questions_for2

We need your questions for Amanda Tapping

The latest victim of the Fannish Inquisition is Stargate’s series-hopping Amanda Tapping, who's now also the star of the web-to-series, Sanctuary. We need your questions to ask her, and we need them fast (SFX is interviewing her next week).

You can get your questions to us in one of three ways:

1) Post your question in the comments section following this news story

2) Post your question in this thread on the SFX forum

http://forum.sfx.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1065750#1065750

3) Email your question to sfx [at] futurenet.co.uk

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
        [B]
        The latest victim of the Fannish Inquisition is Stargate’s series-hopping Amanda Tapping, who's now also the star of the web-to-series, Sanctuary. We need your questions to ask her, and we need them fast (SFX is interviewing her next week).
        Thanks for head's up and for all your news links!

Does anyone know when Sanctuary is going to air?
        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
        Quint Studer

Comment

this fall i believe
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
            Thanks for head's up and for all your news links!

Does anyone know when Sanctuary is going to air?
            Nope. I think the last we heard was Fall. parsifal posted a link as to when S3M had the studios... May 5th - Sept. 11. http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=88321

In other News:

Robin Dunne (Actor that plays Will) posted Friday on his Myspace page that they have been green lit. He is moving to the area for the hectic production schedule. http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ndID=336654537

Emilie Ullerup (actress that plays Ashley) posted last week (I believe) on the Sanctuary forum that they would be starting production soon and she was very excited. (Sorry no link as the site is down for maintenance)

Comment

Sanctuary - Playback Magazine: Robin Dunne

From Playback Magazine:

http://www.playbackonline.ca/next25/...obindunne.html

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

The Next 25 - Canada's Rising Stars and Dealmakers

Robin Dunne - Actor/Writer

Every Thursday over the course of eight weeks, Playback presents finalists for The Next 25 – emerging writers, directors, actors and producers whom you will be hearing from in 2008.

Robin Dunne
              Residence: Los Angeles
              Agency: Oscars Abrams Zimel & Associates
              Buzz: Double-threat talent displays both his acting and writing chops on upcoming TV shows

Robin Dunne is making a name for himself as both an actor and screenwriter. He plays a lead role in the forthcoming series Sanctuary for Sci Fi Channel and The Movie Network/Movie Central, and also co-wrote the hit Nickelodeon Roxy Hunter movies premiering in May on Family Channel.

http://www.scifi.com/sanctuary/

Dunne is hardly an acting newbie, his resumé including parts in The Big Hit (1998), The Snow Walker (2003), Species 3 (2004) and Just Friends (2005), and TV series Manchester Prep, Dawson's Creek and Dead Like Me.

But we'll see a lot more of the Toronto native later this year in Sanctuary, as he reprises the role of psychiatrist Dr. Will Zimmerman, a character he played on the 2007 HD Internet version of the series, now migrating to TV. Production begins in Vancouver in May, shooting almost entirely in front of green screen, with Amanda Tapping of the Stargate shows starring as a doctor who, with the aid of Dunne's skeptical sidekick, seeks out monstrous creatures that walk the earth.

"This is the first time I have the responsibility of being a main player in a series," says Dunne, who has been acting professionally since he was a teen attending the Etobicoke School of the Arts. "I am really diving into criminology and psychology to portray this character as real as I can."

Damian Kindler, creator and executive producer of Sanctuary, is enthusiastic about Dunne's talent.

"He brings humor and gravitas and wonder to the character. He's a terrific actor who is thankfully undaunted by the huge challenge of doing a VFX-heavy sci-fi show. We feel lucky to have him on board. He's going to be a big star."

**snippage**

— Cheryl Binning

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
              SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
              Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Is it me or is the Sanctuary site gone

Comment

In a recent interview http://www.dtrn.co.uk/

Amanda talks briefly about Sanctuary.
                  Spoiler:

What is different between the websiodes and the TV version? The 1st hour will be expanded on and turned into a 2 hour premier. There will be more back story for the characters including Helen's.

The 2nd hour of the websiodes (webby's 5- 8) will be a stand alone eppy in the regular season.

The rest of the interview was talking about Ark of Truth and Continuum. It was a short interview, but very good! The interviewers went on to say how genuinely nice and down to earth Amanda is. They spoke very highly of her.

Someone else posted that the interview will be posted later on their website.

Regarding the question above... The Sanctuary website is not gone it's down for maintenance. They begin production on Monday... I'm guessing they are gearing up for the coming season.

Comment

At GABIT this past weekend, Amanda mentioned Sci-Fi and ITV and their "Canadian broadcasters" ... anyone have any idea on who's picked up the Cdn rights-to-air?
                    ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                    ames on facebook
                    ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Originally posted by ames View Post
                      At GABIT this past weekend, Amanda mentioned Sci-Fi and ITV and their "Canadian broadcasters" ... anyone have any idea on who's picked up the Cdn rights-to-air?

It's been picked up by TMN and Movie Central. Hope all the Canadian fans get one of those channels.

http://www.channelcanada.com/Article2097.html

Comment

Ahh - thanks Melora!
                        *does virtual happy dance to the connectivity deities for sci-fi loving parents with cable packages*
                        ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
                        ames on facebook
                        ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

Any other Sanctuary info to share?

Comment

Yes. The new series will be 75% green screen and 25% live set, so more of a mixture with real bits of Helen and Will's offices etc.

I saw Paul McGillion today. He said, "Did Amanda tell you that I'm coming back?" I kinda squeed, but apparently that was a genuine question - he doesn't know yet. So I'm not sure if we'll be seeing Wexford.

Amanda said that it's a four month shoot, so they should be done about the end of August and now they have 5 months to do vis effects, it's going to be a lot better looking than when they were rushing things in 12 days.

You will be seeing LOADS of new stuff coming up in the next couple of weeks once Amanda and her management have approved everything. She was doing wall to wall interviews and nearly everyone wanted to talk about Sanctuary rather than Ark of Truth.
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

SQUEEE!!!

I so cannot wait for this show.

I came over here becasue i saw www.sanctuaryforall.com is down for maintenance. Oops. I mist have just missed it going down the last time I looked. Thanks for the update Ann.

I'm looking forward to reading the interviews. <<eyes Sancuaryfans.com>>

Hope Amanda got enough rest tonight.

suse
                              sigpic
                              Mourning Sanctuary.
                              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
                                You will be seeing LOADS of new stuff coming up in the next couple of weeks once Amanda and her management have approved everything. She was doing wall to wall interviews and nearly everyone wanted to talk about Sanctuary rather than Ark of Truth.

Well, that makes sense for a number of reasons.
                                Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                                X