Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well first time poster here, but not a first time viewer and have been watching religiously for about four years (saw one random episode of SG-1, bought season one, fell in love!).

Just finished watching the Adrift, and I have to say I'm very happy with it. Season openers for any series are always going to be very interesting as they could just ruin the cliff-hanging ending of last season, completely change the direction of the series as a whole or just be damn good. This was the third of those options.

Everyone has an opinion on Carter joining Atlantis, and I'm one of those who like the idea. Personally mid-season would've made more sense, what with the whole Ori war going on, it's a bit of curious timing. I like Weir, but I don't have the "attachment" that I do to great characters like Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, Rodney McKay or John Shepherd for example. With Weir I've always found her to be a good character who isn't irreplaceable. So with her being nearly killed I wasn't, "oh I hope she doesn't die" I was more like "oh, she might die...hmmmm." She's like Ford who seemed to be just "there" a lot of the time. She had/has some very good moments, but isn't particularly integral to anything, and Carter can come in and replace her and, in my view, better her.

One of my favourite moments in the episode was when Weir was sitting up and pulled off the bandages and her hair had miraculously been restored by the nanites. It's just a big "something isn't quiter ight" moment for the episode, and kind of sums up the direction Weir's character 'might' take during the season. For such a small moment to be one of my favourites...random huh?
    The jumpers shooting the asteroids made sense to me. However, the fact they had about twenty jumpers when I do NOT remember them having a seemingly unlimited supply of them was probably my only disappointing moment of the episode.

The Carter and Lee scenes did seem a little tacked on at times, but you do need lighter, slower moments in shows otherwise this episode would've been "problem, solved, new problem, solved" and those scenes served to break the episode up and give people a big of a proverbial 'breather', and hey, they introduce Carter to new fans, and let them know she's a genius, so they serve their purpose.

Anyway, enough of my incesent waffling about Adrift. Just wanted to post my thoughts in here and read others.

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
      I disagree here. I feel there is far too much in the first two episodes to squeeze into one. It'd seem rushed if TPTB had done that, in my opinion.
      They could have easily removed scenes such as the asteroid belt and the spacewalk, explaining the problem as something more easily solved. Weir's surgery could have been completely cut out, explaining that her injuries were something that couldn't be solved by Atlantis' medical team. The scenes with Carter and Lee could also be removed, as they serve no purpose. The removal of those scenes probably cuts more than half the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnknown View Post
        They could have easily removed scenes such as the asteroid belt and the spacewalk, explaining the problem as something more easily solved. Weir's surgery could have been completely cut out, explaining that her injuries were something that couldn't be solved by Atlantis' medical team. The scenes with Carter and Lee could also be removed, as they serve no purpose. The removal of those scenes probably cuts more than half the episode.
        I personally enjoyed all of those scenes, especially the asteroid field one. So, for me, the episode wouldn't have been as good without that particular visually thrilling scene. I love asteroids, and not just the game! Twenty odd jumpers zapping them was a thrilling moment as far as I'm concerned. I adored the spacewalk too! I'd have hated to have not seen that
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheUnknown View Post
          You can remove a lot of scenes from a lot of different tv programs and books, that doesn't mean taking them out makes it better.
          sigpic

Comment

I actually think there was some really good scenes in it overall i like the scene between Rodney and John that was excellently done and i really like seeing a bit more of Keller
            Sig Bye Me and Avi bye Luciana

Comment

Loved it! Great character stuff, great story. I love that basically the vacuum of space is the enemy in this and not evil bad guys. The fleet of puddle jumpers was pretty sweet.

And how after every problem was fixed it was "Doctor Mckay and Colonal Sheppard to the control room". And you know how dire the situation is when Mckay isn't constantly insulting Zelenka. I kept expecting Mckay to deliver barbs and he mostly didn't.

Also really liked the Sam/Doctor Lee side of things, Midway is looking pretty good. And I actually quite like where the Weir story is going. When she pulled off her bandages.....that gave me shivers.

And the ending......wow, next week sounds like it's gonna be good.

My favourite season opener yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                ...and who will stick it to the man? He put Lizzie in bad situations several times ....
                Why does he have to? It's not like can do that with Carter. Doesn't he have to be a good little puppy and do whatever she says since she is military.

I just thought it would have been interesting to see John in command of Atlantis for at least half a season. Seen how he deals with it, instead of the norm of him going offworld. But then I guess zomg the team would be destroyed. and we can't have that.
                sigpic
                My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  You gotta remember, though, that jumpers respond to a pilot's thoughts: if the pilot thought "OMG! An asteroid is hurtling toward me! I need to move!", it would probably move by itself.
                  Is that really true? I know that the HUD and drones and such as activated by the thoughts of the pilot but isn't the puddlejumper itself flown by the control sticks (except if it's on autopilot and it more than likely just flies on a set course like in an airplane). In the Defiant Ones John snapped at Rodney for taking his hands off the control sticks. Also, when Rodney shot the asteroid that was going to hit one of the towers on Atlantis he had to quickly grab the stick and pull up or he would have run into the tower.

It's the reason why I thought at least a few of the pilots wouldn't have made it. You would have to have some really quick reflexes to be able to navigate something like an asteroid field, especially when things are blowing up all around you. From some of the statements made there were people in the group that had never flown an actual puddlejumper, their only experience was in simulators.

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                    I personally enjoyed all of those scenes, especially the asteroid field one. So, for me, the episode wouldn't have been as good without that particular visually thrilling scene. I love asteroids, and not just the game! Twenty odd jumpers zapping them was a thrilling moment as far as I'm concerned. I adored the spacewalk too! I'd have hated to have not seen that
                    They may have been good scenes, but none of them furthered the plot. All they were were problem after problem after problem, and even more problems left at the end of the episode.

Comment

I thought it was pretty good. They did surprise me about the nanites for Weir. And the low key introduction of Carter made some sense as a setup for future episodes.

Comment

IMO it was a mediocre episode at best, no where near the level a season opener should be. Through lack of a better word, it was quite boring, the plot went stale after about 5 minutes and it just turned into problem after problem after problem, it got quite tiresome. IMO TPTB tried to cover up a weak plot with lots of 'cool CGI' which unfortunately seems to be a theme with Atlantis. One thing I always loved about sg-1 was that in even the most dire situations there was still room for a bit of humour, even if it was just a quick bit. Now I know Atlantis is supposed to be alot darker but the humour was definately missed. They had the part with Dr. Lee and even though I love the guy I just didn't find it funny, didn't even bring a smile to my face. Overall I'd give it 6/10 but I know for sure the next episode will be better.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
                          IMO it was a mediocre episode at best, no where near the level a season opener should be. Through lack of a better word, it was quite boring, the plot went stale after about 5 minutes and it just turned into problem after problem after problem, it got quite tiresome. IMO TPTB tried to cover up a weak plot with lots of 'cool CGI' which unfortunately seems to be a theme with Atlantis. One thing I always loved about sg-1 was that in even the most dire situations there was still room for a bit of humour, even if it was just a quick bit. Now I know Atlantis is supposed to be alot darker but the humour was definately missed. They had the part with Dr. Lee and even though I love the guy I just didn't find it funny, didn't even bring a smile to my face. Overall I'd give it 6/10 but I know for sure the next episode will be better.
                          Complete disagreement here. I've heard a lot of "it was boring" coming from people, and I have to say;

This was not meant to be an action-packed thrillride. Adrift was, in every way, meant to be a very dramatic and serious episode. No, there should NOT be an abundance of humor, joking, or snark, because this is a life-or-death situation kind of episode. They all came very close to dying, I think some people are forgetting that.

Humor is a good thing, but it would have been so unrealistic here, it would have ruined the entire feel of the episode, which was one of fear, confusion, and panic.

That said, I agree with you on one point; it seems likely that TPTB added the jumper/asteroid scene merely as a way to use flashy effects to cover a few of their weak plotlines, but I don't think it destroyed the episode. I'd give it an 8 or 9 out of 10.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I loved "Adrift". It was well done with great special effects. The part with McKay babbling and not telling everyone whats going on was lame, he wasted more time not telling it straight forward. I loved the micro asteroids it was great! puddle jumpers pwned big asteroids, what else do you want!

I would love to see Weir go evil(if its done well)

and stealing from replicators

definetly tuneing in for "Lifeline" (i would even if "Adrift" stink'd )

Comment

I enjoyed this episode and can't wait to see how it concludes next week. I have a good feeling about season 4.

Nice character moments between John and Rodney, Ronon and Elizabeth. I was surprised that the only scene between Teyla and Elizabeth was after Elizabeth had woken up.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Keller as the season progresses, it was a good introduction for the character.

Carter's introduction was nicely balanced and it felt like her scenes were a build up to next week.

Overall I would give it an 8/10
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by justhere1971 View Post
                                Definitely didn't live up to the hype they were promising. Predictable moves ... rehashed stories. No different outcome.

Hope Lifeline is better.

I agree, a real bore, been there, done that, a couple of nice bits, but most of the charterters seemed to be seaching for their "character"!

Comment

Working...
                                X