No announcement yet.

Modeling Challenge Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Finger13;10120912]People are overreacting. I think a Tau'ri destroyer will be fun to do.

I suppose if it were open to more races than only the Tau'ri then people might not feel so limited.

That would be my own suggestion, keep the destroyer challenge just let it be open to whatever race. And then people can't complain about it being restricting.[QUOTE=Finger13;10120912]

I not complaining about it being restricted, I complaining about it being the same as the previous one except that it you got to slap the name destroyer on it. Even when Stargate space ship have never been broken down like that in the show. There ships are design to carry out multiple tasks and not specific roles.

Also sticking in stuff like got to meet some imaginary technology rule and the he does not explain it, it just a poorly written challenge, just adding to complete unoriginality of it, the same challenge been done on this site a dozen times on various fleet threads.

A challenge where you could model absolutely anything from races that we haven't even encountered is too broad.
    And having every challenge or every other challenge base on designing a new spaceship is to limiting. Mine may be broad but at least it not boring. I would of actually restricted the challenge to just modelling a new race of aliens but then people would moan that they could not do it in Sketchup, by keeping it board people would be able to model something of there race in any program out there.

It would be stupid to make two modelling challenge threads, this one is having a hard enough time getting a lot of submissions because of people being busy, we don't need two going simultaneously.
    I am not going to create a new challenge thread, I was going to create a Original Alien race design/modelling thread, like the original starship design thread.

if you don't like it then take it over
    Gladly would do but I want to take part in the challenge to. So I am not going to run it as it would be unfair. I just pointing out what a poorly written challenge this is.

Basically I do not care what the challenge is I just wanted something different than a other ship building contest and something challenging that is what this thread meant to be afteral creating challenges for people to do and something original and creative.

Comment

Well I don't know lol, I'm starting on a Destroyer so that I will actually meet the deadline for once.

We should consider a broader challenge for next month instead of about whether or not we should do it now.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
      I not complaining about it being restricted, I complaining about it being the same as the previous one except that it you got to slap the name destroyer on it. Even when Stargate space ship have never been broken down like that in the show. There ships are design to carry out multiple tasks and not specific roles.
      Just so you know, a properly designed destroyer is extremely different from a properly designed Fighter Carrier. A destroyer wouldn't have any more than 1 or 2 auxiliary craft, would be much smaller, would be packed to the teeth with guns and would have a small crew.

They're fundamentally different ships.

There is a reason that ships are classed into cutter, frigate, cruiser, destroyers, battleships, aircraft carriers, etc.

If we actually take time to build a logical ship based on the requirements, we will have fundamentally different ships from the last challenge.
      Last edited by Finger13; 03 May 2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
        Instead of accusing Bobertho of not thinking 'original' enough, perhaps people should remember that the whole point of the challenges is to use their own creativity to make something better than every one else. It doesn't matter if that's a blimp, a gun, a destroyer, a city, whatever.
        Well original challenges a long way in producing original ideas, a long way indeed. But the challenge it self actually restricts you from not being original.

If I told you to design a Tau'ri gun, how would that be any more limiting or boring than a Tau'ri destroyer? Look at the hordes of different gun designs in the past few years alone, look at the differences in Aircraft carriers since WW2, or the differences in Battleships during WW2. There is such a vast range that there is no need to be bickering over this.
        Actually doing tauri gun would be alright because it not a other ship building contest like the previous one. And if you it make so that is had to be base on a actual real gun it would be a good tough challenge. Even a challenge base of building a new next generation weapon would be fun because it never been done on the site as far as I know and personal weapons have not been done in the challenge thread yet.

As always respect the rules of the tech and the genre Except he put that in there with no explanations, and then add put "Tau'ri" that and technically speaking it does not leave with much design choice, genre almost certainly means you have to go with the same design philosophy in the actual show. Meaning following that to the letter you, with out explanation, you going to get something look familiar to the Daedalus or Prometheus because they the only two ship designs we have seen by Tau'ri.

[/QUOTE]If people are incapable of adapting their designs to do something original, even if the category has been done several times, then that's their problem and is nobody else's fault. Even the stipulation that it has to be Tau'ri isn't THAT restrictive. We only have two ships to reference, that leaves a lot of aesthetics open to our own interpretation.[/QUOTE]
        Not when the two boardly written rules are actually restrictive in there own ways, if you interpete them with knowing there meaning. People/humans always need a little push to be to truly creative and there designs. The challenges should be written to push people to think an be creative, we only have seven challenge 5 of them have been ship base challenges, I mean come on people surly we can do a bit better than that.

Comment

So what would you consider a broader challenge or even a original challenge.?

Properly design destroyer will probably still look familiar and require the same skills than a fighter carrier will be, same as the fighter carriers still look identical to a normal carrier.

Same as most battle ships will look the same as a destroyer if you did not read what the challenge was about or there descriptions or specs. ,
          Last edited by knowles2; 03 May 2009, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Well the whole purpose of me creating this thread was to influence the members to use their imaginations to model. Not to create stories or races. I believe that if you put a challenge that has little restrictions on the plate then if gives the modelers room to come up with a spectacular model and gives room for different types of members to participate.
            sigpic
            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

People are overreacting. I think a Tau'ri destroyer will be fun to do.

I suppose if it were open to more races than only the Tau'ri then people might not feel so limited.

That would be my own suggestion, keep the destroyer challenge just let it be open to whatever race. And then people can't complain about it being restricting.

A challenge where you could model absolutely anything from races that we haven't even encountered is too broad.

It would be stupid to make two modelling challenge threads, this one is having a hard enough time getting a lot of submissions because of people being busy, we don't need two going simultaneously.

Instead of accusing Bobertho of not thinking 'original' enough, perhaps people should remember that the whole point of the challenges is to use their own creativity to make something better than every one else. It doesn't matter if that's a blimp, a gun, a destroyer, a city, whatever.

If I told you to design a Tau'ri gun, how would that be any more limiting or boring than a Tau'ri destroyer? Look at the hordes of different gun designs in the past few years alone, look at the differences in Aircraft carriers since WW2, or the differences in Battleships during WW2. There is such a vast range that there is no need to be bickering over this.

If people are incapable of adapting their designs to do something original, even if the category has been done several times, then that's their problem and is nobody else's fault. Even the stipulation that it has to be Tau'ri isn't THAT restrictive. We only have two ships to reference, that leaves a lot of aesthetics open to our own interpretation.
              I concure with the bolded text. If it will make members feel like this is less restrictive then I'll change the genre.
              sigpic
              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                Well the whole purpose of me creating this thread was to influence the members to use their imaginations to model. Not to create stories or races. I believe that if you put a challenge that has little restrictions on the plate then if gives the modelers room to come up with a spectacular model and gives room for different types of members to participate.
                Just little question then, why is this the only challenge where you have not asked us to write a story or description if you aim to create challenges for modeller. I remember when I shouted down for moaning about writing histories or descriptions. Just saying.

Comment

bloody hell...the entries needthe written part to explian the model to the judges; usually for me its a bit last minute.

I want to model ships and stations not races and guns, its just what i prefer.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                    bloody hell...the entries needthe written part to explian the model to the judges; usually for me its a bit last minute.

Yeah I hear you there. Well I wouldn't mind guns or a city or something, but yeah. Drawing an alien wouldn't be too bad, but modelling it? Sure it'd be a challenge, but it's the time involved that would be ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post

Boberth post contradictory to what the challenges that actually appeared have been asking us to do and I just pointed it out.
                      As to descriptions generally, I do not see the point of them for most ships, as the modeling should clearly show what each section is but a bit of writing is always fun every now and again and that why I enjoyed writing for the last challenge, which actually made sense to do the background history for.

Ships and stations are fine, except they get boring after a while, at least for me, you be amaze how much you learn when you switch to doing something different and you are not doing panels and bits of pipes or new slightly different engine configuration, or some other random greebles. I actually find modelling non space ships is more interesting and certainly more a challenging. And any stargate never been about the ships.

Yeah I hear you there. Well I wouldn't mind guns or a city or something, but yeah. Drawing an alien wouldn't be too bad, but modelling it? Sure it'd be a challenge, but it's the time involved that would be ridiculous.
                      No longer than a actual ship would take .As with any modeling it the detail you want to go into. I have done a entire robot and rig it and texture it all up in two days or roughly 16 to 20 hours worth of work, or about four hours a week for this challenge. which is not a lot to devote to a challenge over a month.
                      A ship or a city would take up far more time generally to do.

My non Stargate related city for example, I have probably spent over 60 hours on it and I am less than 10% done, in fact just I am roughly 5% done according to the sketches I have receive, with ground total 3 buildings completed and the terrain map for the 7 sections finally finished, . Unfortuantly I am under threat death if I show any of it because it part of a friend project, which he will never complete and when he gives up on it I will carry it on my own but until then my lips are sealed. But to be honest a humanoid or non humanoid would not take that long to do, certainly not as long as a entire city. Just go to youtube and you see complete human heads created in a hour and that the most complicated part of the human body to model, once that done the rest is pretty easy. An if you wanted to cheat you could just use the free down spawn creator to do the alien.
                      Last edited by knowles2; 04 May 2009, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Just little question then, why is this the only challenge where you have not asked us to write a story or description if you aim to create challenges for modeller. I remember when I shouted down for moaning about writing histories or descriptions. Just saying.
                        Because it is common knowledge among the modeling community in Gateworld that when you post your ship you need to have the specs/history with it. I put the technology restriction on the challenge showing that the specs are part of the challenge. And like Merlin said, it's mostly for the judges so they can have a greater understanding of submission.

Boberth post contradictory to what the challenges that actually appeared have been asking us to do and I just pointed it out.
                        As to descriptions generally, I do not see the point of them for most ships, as the modeling should clearly show what each section is but a bit of writing is always fun every now and again and that why I enjoyed writing for the last challenge, which actually made sense to do the background history for.

Ships and stations are fine, except they get boring after a while, at least for me, you be amaze how much you learn when you switch to doing something different and you are not doing panels and bits of pipes or new slightly different engine configuration, or some other random greebles. I actually find modelling non space ships is more interesting and certainly more a challenging. And any stargate never been about the ships.
                        Please clarify the posts for everyone.

If the challenges issued seem to be the same over and over again then your missing the point of the challenge. It's to use your imagination to challenge yourself to create a new sweet-looking starship. If it's monotonous invest more time in coming up with the ship plan before you model it.

No longer than a actual ship would take. As with any modeling it's the detail you want to go into. I have done a entire robot and rig it and texture it all up in two days or roughly 16 to 20 hours worth of work, or about four hours a week for this challenge. which is not a lot to devote to a challenge over a month.
                        A ship or a city would take up far more time generally to do.

My non Stargate related city for example, I have probably spent over 60 hours on it and I am less than 10% done, in fact just I am roughly 5% done according to the sketches I have receive, with ground total 3 buildings completed and the terrain map for the 7 sections finally finished, . Unfortuantly I am under threat death if I show any of it because it part of a friend project, which he will never complete and when he gives up on it I will carry it on my own but until then my lips are sealed. But to be honest a humanoid or non humanoid would not take that long to do, certainly not as long as a entire city. Just go to youtube and you see complete human heads created in a hour and that the most complicated part of the human body to model, once that done the rest is pretty easy. An if you wanted to cheat you could just use the free down spawn creator to do the alien.
                        Not everyone can do organic modeling, especially with the main platform for modeling on this site being Sketchup. For members with advanced programs like You, RJB, ManiacMike, and I it's easier but still difficult. And if it's difficult for us then it might seem out of the question for other members. By choosing a destroyer as the base model everyone can try this challenge.
                        sigpic
                        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I don't like to double post but it's needed

The Fifth Challenge Results

Sorry for the delay, but I ran into an issue with this challenge. Of the people that submitted their models there was a tie between two members. I was questioning the results and I decided to reward both of the members who won. I don't want to deny either of them from what they've done. And I do not feel that I should give the deciding opinion when both are spectacular.

I would officially like to congratulate Dr. Lee and Merlin1701 for winning the Fifth Challenge. Good Job Guys!

Spoiler:
                          sigpic
                          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                            Because it is common knowledge among the modeling community in Gateworld that when you post your ship you need to have the specs/history with it. I put the technology restriction on the challenge showing that the specs are part of the challenge. And like Merlin said, it's mostly for the judges so they can have a greater understanding of submission.
                            Judge should judge only what the challenge asks and nothing else. Simple as really, no imaginary understanding or common knowledge should be required to enter these challenges, . What if someone new come here and post a model that fits what the challenge says and asks for. will he be mark down for not knowing common knowledge that he got to make up some spec for what is a image base challenge. and stick to some technology rules. This is just stupid really. Everything the judges mark on should be limited to exactly what it says in the challenges.

If the challenges issued seem to be the same over and over again then your missing the point of the challenge. It's to use your imagination to challenge yourself to create a new sweet-looking starship. If it's monotonous invest more time in coming up with the ship plan before you model it.
                            I thought this was modeling challenge, which mean it meant to challenge your modelling skills, not your how to push imagination to try to extend the challenge to something creative. Having the same challenge of building a ship every content is not a challenge to model it, in fact if you smart, it progressively get easier as you can build up your own greebles library and then just import the parts you want for each model.

Not everyone can do organic modeling, especially with the main platform for modeling on this site being Sketchup. For members with advanced programs like You, RJB, ManiacMike, and I it's easier but still difficult. And if it's difficult for us then it might seem out of the question for other members. By choosing a destroyer as the base model everyone can try this challenge.
                            May I suggest you actually read my challenge, I made it so broad any 3d program in the world, including your precious sketchup could do it without much of a challenge, in fact it was left up to the challenger to decide what they actually going to model for there race.
                            As for how difficult it is for other members, that just sounding so new labour it unbelievable, you do not belong to one of those groups who believe we should award children for coming last in sports days are you, or reset the scores in a footballing game because a team is getting thrash. Do not think what people can or cannot do but think how to come up with interesting challenges that produces interesting models and which perhaps provides a little challenge.

And can you please post all points from all judges please, and where everyone came in challenge 5, I would like to see where everyone came.
                            Last edited by knowles2; 04 May 2009, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Judge should judge only what the challenge asks and nothing else. Simple as really, no imaginary understanding or common knowledge should be required to enter these challenges, . What if someone new come here and post a model that fits what the challenge says and asks for. will he be mark down for not knowing common knowledge that he got to make up some spec for what is a image base challenge. and stick to some technology rules. This is just stupid really. Everything the judges mark on should be limited to exactly what it says in the challenges.
                              And the rules on the first page stand for nothing? I edited the seventh challenge to widen the spectrum.

I thought this was modeling challenge, which mean it meant to challenge your modelling skills, not your how to push imagination to try to extend the challenge to something creative. Having the same challenge of building a ship every content is not a challenge to model it, in fact if you smart, it progressively get easier as you can build up your own greebles library and then just import the parts you want for each model.
                              So you don't use your imagination when you model? Then how do you model stuff? Once again it's to use your imagination to challenge yourself to create a new sweet-looking starship. And if you can not accomplish that then tough luck.

May I suggest you actually read my challenge, I made it so broad any 3d program in the world, including your precious sketchup could do it without much of a challenge, in fact it was left up to the challenger to decide what they actually going to model for there race.
                              As for how difficult it is for other members, that just sounding so new labour it unbelievable, you do not belong to one of those groups who believe we should award children for coming last in sports days are you, or reset the scores in a footballing game because a team is getting thrash. Do not think what people can or cannot do but think how to come up with interesting challenges that produces interesting models and which perhaps provides a little challenge.

And can you please post all points from all judges please, and where everyone came in challenge 5, I would like to see where everyone came.
                              I don't care if everyone wins, if certain circumstances are present then there will be a tie.

Sure I'll post them.

I still don't have the fourth challenge results from the creator.
                              sigpic
                              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I'm fine with a destroyer I think they are one of the best ships you can do.

Continuing Stargate Virtual Fleet Link Below

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63923

Comment

Working...
                                X