In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
      see

2 and a third-ish

I actually prefer them to the Hitchiker books
      *runs away*
      There are 3? I must have missed something! I loved the first one and thing with the fridge in the second one...

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
        There are 3? I must have missed something! I loved the first one and thing with the fridge in the second one...
        DNA was in the process of writing a third Dirk Gently novel, "The Salmon of Doubt" when he passed away.
        The semi-complete manuscript - about one third of a complete story - was published along with various notes, ideas and meanderings of DNA's mind several years ago under the title "The Salmon of Doubt".

Hope this clarifies things for you.
        sigpic
        Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
        To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
        And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Went to see this yesterday - read the book many, many years ago and had forgotten much of it, and it seemed like there were parts "missing". Will have to go re-read it!

I had read some reviews that said it was TOO odd, but I found it not quite weird enough for some reason. Overall I really did enjoy it. . especially Alan Rickman as Marvin! And the yarn ball. The dolphin song is worth the price of admission alone.

Yes. .I smell a sequel as well.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
            Went to see this yesterday - read the book many, many years ago and had forgotten much of it, and it seemed like there were parts "missing". Will have to go re-read it!

I had read some reviews that said it was TOO odd, but I found it not quite weird enough for some reason. Overall I really did enjoy it. . especially Alan Rickman as Marvin! And the yarn ball. The dolphin song is worth the price of admission alone.

Yes. .I smell a sequel as well.
            It's been just over a week since I saw the movie, and I still have the Dolhpin song rattling around inside my skull...
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
              DNA was in the process of writing a third Dirk Gently novel, "The Salmon of Doubt" when he passed away.
              The semi-complete manuscript - about one third of a complete story - was published along with various notes, ideas and meanderings of DNA's mind several years ago under the title "The Salmon of Doubt".

Hope this clarifies things for you.
              Ah yes, I bought that for my boyfriend at Christmas, just hadn't realised it had Dirk Gently stuff in it. Will have to read once I've finished the second book.

Originally posted by BruTak
              It's been just over a week since I saw the movie, and I still have the Dolhpin song rattling around inside my skull...
              Tell me about it. I had to buy the soundtrack, anxiously waiting for it to arrive...
              Last edited by Purpleyin; 09 May 2005, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpleyin
                Ah yes, I bought that for my boyfriend at Christmas, just hadn't realised it had Dirk Gently stuff in it. Will have to read once I've finished the second book.
                I have to warn you that it ends rather abruptly and I hate to think about it because I really really really want to know where he was going with that one.

Still not decided about the film yet, but I have to say that I'm disappointed with the look of the Heart of Gold. it's supposed to look like a running shoe.
                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

There were some ups and downs, but I have a feeling "buttons aren't toys" is going to become a catch phrase with some of my friends.
                  And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                  Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                  Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                  Daniel: Oh! You see?
                  Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                    Still not decided about the film yet, but I have to say that I'm disappointed with the look of the Heart of Gold. it's supposed to look like a running shoe.
                    Yeah, but it's been different in all of the incarnations of HHGG: the books (definitive for me), the radio series, the TV movie...
                    It must be a Thursday.

I've never been able to get the hang of Thursdays.

Roll up your pantlegs- you're in JoePa's house now! Congratulations Nittany Lions on an Orange Bowl Victory!

Comment

Originally posted by Scandrea
                      Yeah, but it's been different in all of the incarnations of HHGG: the books (definitive for me), the radio series, the TV movie...
                      That's always been part of the charm of it for me. Every version of The Hitchhiker's Guide is different.

The radio series is different from the books.

The books are different from the album versions.

The album versions are different from the TV show.

The TV show's are different from the comic books.

The comic books are different from the movie - and so on.
                      sigpic

Comment

so yeah i saw the movie twice, i just LOVED it. zaphod = love

sorry for interrupting heh

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                        Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                        Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants
                          so yeah i saw the movie twice, i just LOVED it. zaphod = love

sorry for interrupting heh
                          Zaphod seemed to me to be equal parts John Travolta, the BeeGees, Austin Powers, and just a touch of Tom Cruise.
                          sigpic

Comment

I went to see Hitchhiker's yesterday...
                            Generally, mixed reactions about it... it took a while to get going though. I think the second half of the film is much better that the first. Admittedly, it's been a while since I've read the books... but I don't think it's the kind of book that necessarily translates well into films.

I don't think overall that it was a good idea to have that many Americans in the key roles... (Apologies to our American friends here) There's supposed to be a lot of laconic, British humour and I'm not sure that the over the top stuff ie Zaphod/Ford... was really appropriate or necessary

Loved Marvin ... I laughed everytime he opened his mouth... Alan Rickman was great...
                            Improbability drive sequences were definitely LOL stuff
                            Arthur Dent aka Martin Freeman was well cast as was most of the bit parts.
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I haven't seen the movie yet but I really liked the book. It seems to be getting bad reviews.

Comment

I saw it. I liked it. I plan to see it again.

Yes, I brought a towel. Slung it over my shoulder in plain sight. Oddly, it turned out to be a good thing I'd brought it. We had a cold snap and it made an excellent scarf on the way home.
                                Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Working...
                                X