New SF shows on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: Space Opera
    I'm 'out of the loop', but maybe check out stuff coming out of Japan. They still seem to come out w/ a space opera (albeit in anime form: if one can look past the typical 'big eyes, small mouths' and other anime 'conventions', some of the stories are quite good) every now and then.

The last one I checked out was 'Tytania' (same writer, I think, as 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes'), which came out a couple of years ago, if memory serves.
    I didn't watch most of it, but it did look 'clean'/'pretty' (in terms of art/colour use).
    While not really space opera (but close enough), an ongoing show is 'Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing'
    (I'm not following it, tho', as it seems a departure from the original Last Exile...maybe I'll give it a chance eventually)

Also, the live-action version of 'Space Battleship Yamato' (aka Star Blazers) came out this year (haven't seen it yet, tho').

As far as 'the West' goes, the only 'big thing' in terms of Space Opera that comes to mind is the upcoming 'Mass Effect 3' videogame from Bioware/EA.
    Last edited by gotthammer; 03 December 2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Not always. The details are in how they came into their state.
      You can explain away their origins with fictional science, but the story will still remain horror or fantasy. You could do some vampire or werewolf stories through science-fiction, but I've never seen this done in any satisfactory way. We get some nonsensical scientific explanation for why someone is a vampire or werewolf, then on to the horror. If the science were a driving force in the story, then you could call it science-fiction. If it's just window dressing, then it's not really science-fiction...

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        You can explain away their origins with fictional science, but the story will still remain horror or fantasy. You could do some vampire or werewolf stories through science-fiction, but I've never seen this done in any satisfactory way. We get some nonsensical scientific explanation for why someone is a vampire or werewolf, then on to the horror. If the science were a driving force in the story, then you could call it science-fiction. If it's just window dressing, then it's not really science-fiction...
        You get that for a vast majority of science fiction shows
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Wouldn't that be horror or fantasy? What does a vampire or a werewolf have to do with science-fiction?
          Nothing. I meant it as an irony - that you can choose from four TV shows about vampires, that are "in" right now but there are no space-operas to choose from. Not everybody is interested in this topic - the only good show about vampires and werewolves is Being Human (UK).
          And it doesn´t have to be US TV show...British are able to make good sci-fi, too.

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            You get that for a vast majority of science fiction shows
            Yes, but you get more than a passing nonsense scientific explanation in an episode of the show. Take Star Trek for example, there's far more than that. It's the conglomeration of many science-fiction concepts. Going back to vampire and werewolf shows... if the show focused more on how and why someone became a vampire or werewolf with a focus on how to change them back, all from a scientific viewpoint... it would be science-fiction. If the focus is on drama and who's gonna die next, well... that's drama and suspense or horror.

Comment

You just proved my original point
              Jelgate is right

Comment

With the demise of Star Trek and Stargate there are no good Sf shows on TV apart from Doctor Who. The recent Star Wars Clone Wars series was great hopefully that continues.
                "You don't know half of it".
                Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

Star Wars The Clone Wars has been cancelled.
                  Good sci fi shows I can think of:
                  Falling Skies
                  Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D looks pretty good
                  Heard Continuum is pretty good

Comment

Almost human looks like it might be pretty good.

edit: got the name wrong
                    Last edited by Wyrminarrd; 14 May 2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

I'm in for Almost Human, and Agents of Shield, definitely

then there's another version of The Tomorrow People remake, and i think Blake's 7 is getting remade on syfy
                      Last Movie Watched
                      X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                      Life is Strange

Comment

not exactly of Star Trek calibre though!
                        "You don't know half of it".
                        Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                        (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

You can't know that until they air
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

There's also Warehouse 13, and Defiance, both of which seem to be doing well. Defiance has been given the okay for 13 more episodes.

Comment

Continuum is good, not great but good (though I'm still in season 1).

defiance was okay but I didn't really got hooked and forgot about it lol.

I do not like falling skies though I stopped watching in season 1 so maybe it got better.
                              sigpic

Comment

Incursion, whenever it comes out, will probably be AMAZING.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X