No announcement yet.

Pacific Rim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanna watch it, i love lots of CGI and blowing stuff up and kicking the crap outta things,bugger realism, i get that enough in RL
    sigpic

Comment

saw this trailer last week.

transformers meets cloverfield.

i'll probably see it, becasue, well, why not? giant monsters fighting giant robots? how can you lose?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
        When giant monsters arise from the outside and inside of Earth, it starts a war that takes millions of lives and quickly consumes humanity's resources. To combat this new threat, a special type of weapon is designed: massive robots, known as Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. As time passes, even the powerful Jaegers prove almost defenceless in the face of a relentless enemy. On its last stand and on the verge of defeat, the remaining defending forces of mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes - a former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) - who are teamed to drive one of the legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the early trials as they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

Heres a plot summary, think that explains why they build them...
        That doesn't explain anything.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        That wasn't my questioned. I was asking how they could have built them so fast. Realistically, monsters like that would conquer the Earth long before the first "giant robot" could be completed.
        They don't build them fast. That was my point. It's been going on for decades, hence no invasion. I'm dying for an explanation.

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
        Its a movie about giant monsters from another dimension coming through a portal/rift deep beneath the ocean and smashing s*** up. You want history and technical manuals, go to a library.
        This is always the dumbest response. Suspension of disbelief still needs explanations that make sense within the context of the film, in order to maintain the fantasy, otherwise your audience will simply zone out.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
          This is always the dumbest response. Suspension of disbelief still needs explanations that make sense within the context of the film, in order to maintain the fantasy, otherwise your audience will simply zone out.
          And yours is always the dumbest of questions with movies like this. Looking at the trailer, its a simple monster movie. You're just nitpicking one little thing for the sake of nitpicking or to somehow make yourself appear more intelligent than those who see the trailer and say something along the lines of "yeah, this looks good, i think im gonna enjoy turning my brain of for an hour or so and enjoying decent monster movie."
          I think Teddybrown is right. This is going to be like the old Japanese monster movies. They are not going to spend half the movie explaining every little thing like what about the portal; why did it open? How? Why at the bottom of the ocean? Are the monsters ocean dwellers? If so, why attack the surface? Why is it that we - with all the ridiculously destructive weapons we have - cant destroy these monsters? Why did the monsters invade? People/beings dont invade for no reason. Is it really an invasion or just mindless monsters happening on the portal? If mindless, then again, why cant we easily dispatch them?

This isnt going to be a movie that tries to make you think or that goes into long winded explanations to satisfy the few who like to complain about every little thing. Its giant monsters versus giant robots and most people will be able to see that and accept it for what it is.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            That wasn't my questioned. I was asking how they could have built them so fast. Realistically, monsters like that would conquer the Earth long before the first "giant robot" could be completed.
            I am guesting the attacks started of as a rare phenomean and increase over time. An Humanity in this world already had all the pieces necessary to create giant robots capable of combat.

This film does sound like a anime I have watched about a decade ago but cant remembered the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
              And yours is always the dumbest of questions with movies like this. Looking at the trailer, its a simple monster movie. You're just nitpicking one little thing for the sake of nitpicking or to somehow make yourself appear more intelligent than those who see the trailer and say something along the lines of "yeah, this looks good, i think im gonna enjoy turning my brain of for an hour or so and enjoying decent monster movie."

Why cant we have monsters vs robot film with an intelligence script and a story without plot holes. Given the calibra working on this film, I suspect it not your average dumb American monster vs robot film.

I think Teddybrown is right. This is going to be like the old Japanese monster movies. They are not going to spend half the movie explaining every little thing like what about the portal; why did it open? How? Why at the bottom of the ocean? Are the monsters ocean dwellers? If so, why attack the surface? Why is it that we - with all the ridiculously destructive weapons we have - cant destroy these monsters? Why did the monsters invade? People/beings dont invade for no reason. Is it really an invasion or just mindless monsters happening on the portal? If mindless, then again, why cant we easily dispatch them? .
              An I hope the film give answers to those questions, in fact the characters sort of need to answer those questions to defeat the monsters.
              This isnt going to be a movie that tries to make you think or that goes into long winded explanations to satisfy the few who like to complain about every little thing. Its giant monsters versus giant robots and most people will be able to see that and accept it for what it is.
              Audiences should expect and demand more than that. District 9 was a nice combination of story and huge robots fighting each other. If a first time director/writer from South Africa can deliver then some Del toro should be able to as well.

Comment

I don't think these giant robots will have been made just for these monsters, cause the synopsis says they have to use an early model of the robot in the end, so I think these robots will have been in production a while before these monsters appear, but they are only needed when these giant monsters attack.
                Like the Stargate programme, it will have probably been a secret project, only made public when these giant monsters attack and all other options have been looked in to.

But also reading that synopsis, it does go back on itself, saying they designed the robots to combat the monster threat, but use an old version to fight them...

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                  I don't think these giant robots will have been made just for these monsters, cause the synopsis says they have to use an early model of the robot in the end, so I think these robots will have been in production a while before these monsters appear, but they are only needed when these giant monsters attack.
                  Like the Stargate programme, it will have probably been a secret project, only made public when these giant monsters attack and all other options have been looked in to.

But also reading that synopsis, it does go back on itself, saying they designed the robots to combat the monster threat, but use an old version to fight them...
                  I am guesting that they use the whole better technology is not always better story line. A new or several new monsters attack and wipe out the most up to date Earth robot forces and they have to resort to use old outdated technology to fight, which turns out that this old tech is miraculously able to defeat the new monsters.

Comment

Sounds like the script to battleship.

Comment

I am gonna see it just cause of the smashy goodness it is promising. Though i am hoping with the latest gamut of big robot type films we have had recently it will spur on one of the film companies to FINALLLY do a battle tech film!!!

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        I am gonna see it just cause of the smashy goodness it is promising. Though i am hoping with the latest gamut of big robot type films we have had recently it will spur on one of the film companies to FINALLLY do a battle tech film!!!
                        That'll never happen. BattleTech is way too niche for any film company to ever consider making a movie out of it.
                        Meh...

Comment

I will wait for this one to be available OnDemand.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Looking forward to seeing this and Godzilla. A Mech Warrior movie would be cool too.

Comment

Looks pretty interesting but I do have some reservations sometimes these movies end up being bad. I hope not though.
                              sigpic

Favorite quote:
                              McKay: You shot me!
                              Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                              Ronon: You shot me, too.
                              Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by python490 View Post
                                sometimes these movies end up being bad
                                if anyone goes in expecting them to be good then, well, you got what you deserved.

Comment

Working...
                                X